Back to square one?

Dave

What club in the world actually lets it manager have the final say in signings? It's not FM, a manager will suggest a player the board see if it is viable then attempt to sign him.

Someone ought to tell Chris Hughton then, because he's been quoted in that article saying he has the final say.

final say as in he's the one who picks out the players to sign not ashley (which i had seen suggested by some that ma would pick who to sign) ashley decides if the club can afford said signing which is the norm for any club really (maybe except for wenger who almost seems to set the financial agenda there at times)

What club in the world actually lets it manager have the final say in signings? It's not FM, a manager will suggest a player the board see if it is viable then attempt to sign him.

Someone ought to tell Chris Hughton then, because he's been quoted in that article saying he has the final say.

final say as in he's the one who picks out the players to sign not ashley (which i had seen suggested by some that ma would pick who to sign) ashley decides if the club can afford said signing which is the norm for any club really (maybe except for wenger who almost seems to set the financial agenda there at times)

Let's hope he has all that in writing then. Somehow I doubt it.

Hughton is clearly not a manager and in reality he's not doing much management other than letting the senior players decide what they want to do each week. That said, Shearer probably could have had the job if he'd dropped his demands a bit. The only jobs he's been linked with since as a manager are at Southampton and Hull, and I doubt they would pay anywhere near what we would have.

Shearer knows (there or thereabouts) what the club requires to actually become decent again - that was his list of 'demands'. He wouldn't want to be part of a collective that could only half-promise the things needed to make it happen. He's a proud and fairly arrogant chap (not necassarily a bad thing), and he wouldn't throw his reputation on the line - he'd be in the firing line with his hands tied. Why would Shearer want to associate himself with us, when he knows damn straight that the mugs at the top will restrict us from fulfilling any potential the club has? Hughton, on the other hand, was bound to take the job because he gets a bit of a boner at the title of 'manager'. Do you reckon he'll have submitted a list of 'demands' to Ashley and Co? Nah, course he wouldn't have done. I don't blame Shearer for not dropping his demands at all.

You can replace the word 'Shearer' for any decent, self-respecting manager in the game, btw. :thup:

Shearer knows (there or thereabouts) what the club requires to actually become decent again - that was his list of 'demands'. He wouldn't want to be part of a collective that could only half-promise the things needed to make it happen. He's a proud and fairly arrogant chap (not necassarily a bad thing), and he wouldn't throw his reputation on the line - he'd be in the firing line with his hands tied. Why would Shearer want to associate himself with us, when he knows damn straight that the mugs at the top will restrict us from fulfilling any potential the club has? Hughton, on the other hand, was bound to take the job because he gets a bit of a boner at the title of 'manager'. Do you reckon he'll have submitted a list of 'demands' to Ashley and Co? Nah, course he wouldn't have done. I don't blame Shearer for not dropping his demands at all.

You can replace the word 'Shearer' for any decent, self-respecting manager in the game, btw. :thup:

I don't have any problem with Shearer's methods or principles, I just don't know if there are that many clubs out there that will provide him with a top salary and spending budget from the word go. Not without any track record to speak of.

Reading between the lines of this and Llambias's latest comments, I'll be very surprised if there are any cash signings in January.

I'm guessing Simpson's contract would be extended if offered to us, and Harewood and Kniz may be on their bikes to be replaced by new loan signings.

If Simpson is in the final year of his contract then Man Utd may try and pedal him for some handy money in January. It may well be that they loaned him to us to put him in the shop window.