Biggest waste of money

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

It's easily Boumsong for me. Buying a player for £8m that was available for free four months earlier.

You can defend Luque, Owen etc and say they got injured, they weren't given a fair chance, that they represented some value at one time or another, you might not agree with it, but you can argue it. There is no argument for Boumsong. He was given an extended crack at the whip, was injury free and was simply the worst defender I have ever seen play for us.

It's easily Boumsong for me. Buying a player for £8m that was available for free four months earlier.

You can defend Luque, Owen etc and say they got injured, they weren't given a fair chance, that they represented some value at one time or another, you might not agree with it, but you can argue it. There is no argument for Boumsong. He was given an extended crack at the whip, was injury free and was simply the worst defender I have ever seen play for us.

That's a rubbish argument tbh. He was out of contract so obviously there was no fee, and the year before he joined Rangers he was being linked with Liverpool for a similar fee in a double deal with Cisse.

Guest firetotheworks

That's a rubbish argument tbh. He was out of contract so obviously there was no fee, and the year before he joined Rangers he was being linked with Liverpool for a similar fee in a double deal with Cisse.

How's it a rubbish argument? Linked means nothing, we've been 'linked' with every player going over the last few seasons, it means nothing. The point is that we paid an inflated price for a player because he'd just started his contract with another club and he turned out to be an abomination of a defender. Makes perfect sense to me.

Ramage and Cacapa will be overjoyed

Guest firetotheworks

£8m was the going rate for a full France international at the time who was highly rated and had several big clubs wanting him. If you don't think he was good then fair enough, but the fact he was free the transfer window before that shouldn't influence it.

In normal circumstances there's no way that £8 was the going rate. The fee was inflated because he'd signed for Rangers four months earlier, and Rangers didn't want to sell him. There's also the (alleged) agents fees. I dont see how you can overlook the fact that not only was he free four months earlier, but that Shepherd had given a 'no' on him 12 months earlier when Robson wanted him, and the fact that he was a terrible defender.

Why ignore hindsight? That's what this is all about.

£8m was the going rate for a full France international at the time who was highly rated and had several big clubs wanting him. If you don't think he was good then fair enough, but the fact he was free the transfer window before that shouldn't influence it.

More like £8 million was the figure Souey knew he could get Shep to give his beloved Gers.

Guest firetotheworks

12 months earlier we didn't have £13m in the bank from selling Woodgate.

All you've done there is highlight the fact that we replaced £13 million rated Woodgate with £8 million rated (apparently) Boumsong. Yet another reason why he was a massive waste of money.