Ryan Giggs

Delima

On Giggs, don't really think he is that good anymore. Seems to be playing better this year but was quite useless the whole of last season. Can't dribble  or make direct runs anymore, can't track back as much which means Rooney often has to cover for him. I don't even see him making that many telling passes either as mentioned in the quotation on the OP. If some people think Shearer stayed on for too long, Giggs has overstayed far longer.

On Giggs, don't really think he is that good anymore. Seems to be playing better this year but was quite useless the whole of last season. Can't dribble  or make direct runs anymore, can't track back as much which means Rooney often has to cover for him. I don't even see him making that many telling passes either as mentioned in the quotation on the OP. If some people think Shearer stayed on for too long, Giggs has overstayed far longer.

:facepalm:

Did you actually watch any Man Utd games last season?  Giggs was a class above a lot of the opposition he played against.  He created a top five goal totally on his own by skinning two players in quick succession.  He's still got it man and is a model professional.

Yep he is indeed, very underrated throughout his career imo.

Who exactly underrates him? Everyone I know thinks he's class, as does every pundit on the planet.

I just think people like "everybody loves Beckham" England boy Paul scholes and those sexy silky foreigners pires and ljungberg (sp? ) have got the plaudits over him when he has been the better player.

Obviously people have rated giggs as a good player but I think he has always been better than good. As he comes to the end of his career he is starting to get the credit he deserves but I don't think that has always been the case and he has often been overlooked as he isn't as media friendly as those mentioned and maybe a few more.

This boy has been a great player and a credit to his club and himself ; the fact that he can still do the business in the PL at his age shows how he has been a great pro and looked after himself.

Frankly, NUFC could do worse(and probably will)than sign both him and Scholes to help the club establish itself back in the PL if promotion happens this season - lets face it, there is going to b precious little cash for top signings if Ashley is still in charge.

I just think people like "everybody loves Beckham" England boy Paul scholes and those sexy silky foreigners pires and ljungberg (sp? ) have got the plaudits over him when he has been the better player

Comparing Giggs the winger vs Beckham the winger at their primes - I wouldn't say Giggs is more effective than Beckham.

Comparing Giggs the winger vs Giggs the attacking midfielder at their primes - I think Giggs the attacking midfielder is a better and more effective player.

Did you actually watch any Man Utd games last season?  Giggs was a class above a lot of the opposition he played against.  He created a top five goal totally on his own by skinning two players in quick succession.  He's still got it man and is a model professional.

:lol: That is clearly an exaggeration, a class above a lot of the opposition my ass, he wasn't doing it against average defenders. Yes he can still pass the ball over 6 yards (most footballers with two legs can do that), but barring a few limited times, he could not beat defenders with his pace and dribbling anymore. No I don't follow Man Utd, since you do, tell how many goals did Giggs get last season and compare that with attacking midfielders /wingers in the top 8 teams. 

Still think the likes of Giggs, Scholes & Gary Neville have stayed in their comfort zone by not trying to achieve stuff anywhere else or having a crack at playing abroad.  Same goes for a few of Chelsea & Liverpool's English players.

Hmm, nah. Scholes and Neville are fans and Giggs has remained an important player right up until now.

I don't think any of that's relevant to the point I'm making though.  For example, Beckham was also a Man United fan.

That wasn't Beckham's choice. What point are you making? That Neville, Scholes, Giggs and co should have put in transfer requests when they started playing less regularly?

No not at all, I've never suggested that, have I.  Players don't ever only leave clubs by submitting transfer requests. :lol:

It's a wider point, I just think too many of the English players are settled in their comfort zone in this country, compared to other nations.

Shearer.  :sadnod:

I just think people like "everybody loves Beckham" England boy Paul scholes and those sexy silky foreigners pires and ljungberg (sp? ) have got the plaudits over him when he has been the better player.

Obviously people have rated giggs as a good player but I think he has always been better than good. As he comes to the end of his career he is starting to get the credit he deserves but I don't think that has always been the case and he has often been overlooked as he isn't as media friendly as those mentioned and maybe a few more.

Scholes isn't media friendly. :lol:

Mentioned this before about Giggs several times and I still stand by it. He has always been an absolute class act but I still feel on an individual level with the talent he had he never made as much of his career as he should have. By that I mean he should have been winning individual award after individual award, but it never quite happened.

In that he was a decent player for the national team therefore they spunked over him, see also "Stevie G", "Lamps", "JT" etc..

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Mentioned this before about Giggs several times and I still stand by it. He has always been an absolute class act but I still feel on an individual level with the talent he had he never made as much of his career as he should have. By that I mean he should have been winning individual award after individual award, but it never quite happened.

I think he's made more of it than he should, had he pushed himself he'd be retired by now, his hamstrings couldn't take the punishment.

In that he was a decent player for the national team therefore they spunked over him, see also "Stevie G", "Lamps", "JT" etc..

What? Scholes got absolutely slated in his latter days in an England shirt.

In his latter days yes.

By latter days I mean for about 4 years. And I can't ever remember him getting plaudits like Lampard and Gerrard have done in the past. Despite in my opinion Scholes being better than them both.