Ryan Giggs

Delima

Guest firetotheworks

Still think the likes of Giggs, Scholes & Gary Neville have stayed in their comfort zone by not trying to achieve stuff anywhere else or having a crack at playing abroad.  Same goes for a few of Chelsea & Liverpool's English players.

Hmm, nah. Scholes and Neville are fans and Giggs has remained an important player right up until now.

Still think the likes of Giggs, Scholes & Gary Neville have stayed in their comfort zone by not trying to achieve stuff anywhere else or having a crack at playing abroad.  Same goes for a few of Chelsea & Liverpool's English players.

Hmm, nah. Scholes and Neville are fans and Giggs has remained an important player right up until now.

I don't think any of that's relevant to the point I'm making though.  For example, Beckham was also a Man United fan.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think any of that's relevant to the point I'm making though.  For example, Beckham was also a Man United fan.

That wasn't Beckham's choice. What point are you making? That Neville, Scholes, Giggs and co should have put in transfer requests when they started playing less regularly?

That wasn't Beckham's choice. What point are you making? That Neville, Scholes, Giggs and co should have put in transfer requests when they started playing less regularly?

No not at all, I've never suggested that, have I.  Players don't ever only leave clubs by submitting transfer requests. :lol:

It's a wider point, I just think too many of the English players are settled in their comfort zone in this country, compared to other nations.

Guest firetotheworks

No not at all, I've never suggested that, have I.  Players don't ever only leave clubs by submitting transfer requests. :lol:

It's a wider point, I just think too many of the English players are settled in their comfort zone in this country, compared to other nations.

You're not making sense. You're saying that players are too settled in their comfort zone in this country. So what do you propose they do?

You're not making sense. You're saying that players are too settled in their comfort zone in this country. So what do you propose they do?

Try playing in other countries. :lol:

There's a thread all about it on here somewhere.

I'm sure the massive wages the English teams paid them had something to do with it too. At least the likes of McManaman, Platt, Walker, Ince had a go.

I'm sure the massive wages the English teams paid them had something to do with it too. At least the likes of McManaman, Platt, Walker, Ince had a go.

:thup:

Guest firetotheworks

I'm lost by what you're saying tbh. The examples you've cited are Giggs, Neville and Scholes. Those players in particular could only be described as being in their comfort zone when they started playing less regularly, any time before that and they were pivotal players as part of title challenges in arguably the best league in Europe, so hardly within a comfort zone.

I'm lost by what you're saying tbh. The examples you've cited are Giggs, Neville and Scholes. Those players in particular could only be described as being in their comfort zone when they started playing less regularly, any time before that and they were pivotal players as part of title challenges in arguably the best league in Europe, so hardly within a comfort zone.

No you're missing the point.  I don't know how much more I can explain it.  You can still be in your comfort zone at a club you are an important part of, take Ronaldo leaving Man United, Owen leaving Liverpool, McManaman leaving Liverpool, Van Nistelrooy leaving Man United, Woodgate leaving here.

Guest firetotheworks

No you're missing the point.  I don't know how much more I can explain it.  You can still be in your comfort zone at a club you are an important part of, take Ronaldo leaving Man United, Owen leaving Liverpool, McManaman leaving Liverpool, Van Nistelrooy leaving Man United, Woodgate leaving here.

Ah right, well that's where I disagree completely. So now that I understand what you're on about I'll leave it there.

Guest Heneage

I see LiamO's point.

The true greats of the game often perfomed on both club and country stage or in numerous league, Maradonna did Barcelona and Napoli, Ronaldo has done Inter, Madrid, Barca.

Giggs has only ever played his football for Ferguson at Man U. He's never given himself the chance to experience a different way of playing the game because he's been happy to stay there year after year. Who knows how good he could have been if he'd learned different things from different managers in a different environment?

They say travel broadens the mind and in staying at the same club for 20 years or so Giggs hasn't broadened his horizons by trying to better himself in a different league/culture. He's obviously happy and comfortable playing for Man U and fair play to him but staying at the same club for your entire career is like only reading one chapter of a book.

(Just read that back and it's pretty much all drivel!) :lol:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

If it is like only reading the first chapter of a book, then the book in question must be Sarah Palin's 'Going Rogue', or some other similarly lauded work of literary genius because it is the best chapter in football history.

Guest firetotheworks

I see LiamO's point.

The true greats of the game often perfomed on both club and country stage or in numerous league, Maradonna did Barcelona and Napoli, Ronaldo has done Inter, Madrid, Barca.

It certainly makes a difference, and for me its the reason why from what Ive seen Maradona is the best player of all time and not Pele, but in the grand scheme of things it hardly matters. Id rather have Kaka in my team (as an example of a player that was in their comfort zone at AC) than Seedorf who has seen it all. I think it's only really relevant when a player at the top is used less frequently and moves away (Parker, Duff, SWP type players) or when you're on a message board arduously arguing over who's the better of two players.

Guest firetotheworks

I said often, not always.

How dare you spoil my perfectly formed point with something that I missed. It's not my night for understanding, it has to be said.

Guest Heneage

The guy is just pure footballing technique, such a shame he chose Wales..

He didn't chose Wales, he wasn't actually eligible for England, and yes I know he represented them at Schoolboy.

That's a weird point to make if you ask me.  Why move when you're playing for arguably the worlds biggest club, in the most popular league, and are regularly playing the likes of Barca/Inter/et. al in the Champions League?  I can understand if you stay at say Wigan your entire career being stuck in a "comfort zone" but if you're playing the best you can for a club like Man Utd why would you even contemplate moving?  Just for a change of scenery?  Not worth it.

That's a weird point to make if you ask me.  Why move when you're playing for arguably the worlds biggest club, in the most popular league, and are regularly playing the likes of Barca/Inter/et. al in the Champions League?  I can understand if you stay at say Wigan your entire career being stuck in a "comfort zone" but if you're playing the best you can for a club like Man Utd why would you even contemplate moving?  Just for a change of scenery?  Not worth it.

Your point is only valid if you consider Man Utd as the undoubted best club in the world. I don't think moving to the likes of Barca, Real, and to a lesser degree Inter could be said to be a step back. I have more respect for Beckham than Giggs because he was willing (even if Fergie aided his departure) to start from scratch and prove himself at Real. It takes supreme confidence to be at the top of your game and decide to start over with a new club...not many players have that sort of confidence.