World team of the year

Guest palnese

Casillas is better than Valdés. But I'd have had Julio Cesar in there. Casillas didn't really have the best of seasons last year. Overall I think he's starting to decline (he peaked up quite early). Valdés is quite puzzlingly not rated at all outside of Barcelona.

The problem with this yearly awards is how they split seasons. Gerrard has been pure cack so far this season, but very good on the tail end of the last one. Cronaldo has had a great start of this season despite injury, and had a great finish to the last one. I think he deserves that spot. Essien should have secured a spot in that midfield, though, if they attempt to make a viable team.

I feel bad for Villa, one of the greatest forwards we have ever produced and it looks he's never going to get the recognition he deserves unless he moves out of Valencia. Torres is great but Villa has been better in 2009 overall.

Casillas is better than Valdés. But I'd have had Julio Cesar in there. Casillas didn't really have the best of seasons last year. Overall I think he's starting to decline (he peaked up quite early). Valdés is quite puzzlingly not rated at all outside of Barcelona.

The problem with this yearly awards is how they split seasons. Gerrard has been pure cack so far this season, but very good on the tail end of the last one. Cronaldo has had a great start of this season despite injury, and had a great finish to the last one. I think he deserves that spot. Essien should have secured a spot in that midfield, though, if they attempt to make a viable team.

I feel bad for Villa, one of the greatest forwards we have ever produced and it looks he's never going to get the recognition he deserves unless he moves out of Valencia. Torres is great but Villa has been better in 2009 overall.

Would it be a fair assessment to say Valdes is improving year on year? During the early-mid Rijkaard era, he seemed to make a fair few errors, and was a keeper who didn't transmit confidence. I'd say he's come on leaps and bounds.

Agree. Essien is a fucking incredible player, and would bring a bit of balance to the team as well.

Guest firetotheworks

Cole for Evra

Puyol for Terry

and going on last season that's probably spot on.

Gerrard wouldn't get anywhere near it this season though.

very fair assessment from Barca fan about casillas & valdes... i always though valdes is one the weakness that Barca have. Not very assured goalkeeper. Keeping punch crossing made him high risk goalkeeper.

Valdés has improved leaps and bounds over these years. He has cut on the mistakes he did (he has had a couple bloppers this season, but they are now in the "uncharacteristic mistake by Valdés" category now  :razz:), and commands his area much better (punches much less) and gives confidence to the defence. Byline crosses aren't his forte, but he defends crosses from deep very well. I think that's because of how La Liga plays, since Casillas also has a similar weakness (there's isn't much touchline crossing in the league). I don't consider him one of the greatest keepers of the planet, but it's probably the best keeper for FC Barcelona at this momen given how he conforms to the way we play and the kind of goal scoring opportunities we give to the opposition (he's great on one-to-ones and with the ball at his feet, for example).