The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eventually we have to strike a balance between "he's a nice guy, inexperienced, give him time, steadily building.." and "he just isn't good enough". But thats a long way away yet. Certainly shouldn't be discussing it this soon into the season, the last thing we need is to get the managerial merry-go-round set into motion.

just can't agree with that, we've dropped 8 points to 2 relegation rivals + Stoke at home and there appear to be few signs of improvement...fucked if i'm putting my head in the sand

people need to stop crying about Ben Arfa, Hughton's job is to find another solution and right now he isn't doing it

before people start i'm not saying sack him but there's nothing wrong with starting to question him at this stage imo

Guest Stephen927

Eventually we have to strike a balance between "he's a nice guy, inexperienced, give him time, steadily building.." and "he just isn't good enough". But thats a long way away yet. Certainly shouldn't be discussing it this soon into the season, the last thing we need is to get the managerial merry-go-round set into motion.

just can't agree with that, we've dropped 8 points to 2 relegation rivals + Stoke at home and there appear to be few signs of improvement...fucked if i'm putting my head in the sand

people need to stop crying about Ben Arfa, Hughton's job is to find another solution and right now he isn't doing it

before people start i'm not saying sack him but there's nothing wrong with starting to question him at this stage imo

He's come off the back of a good season in the Championship, promoted comfortably, and signed some decent players on a small budget. I don't think anybody else could do anything different right now, and when you think of what the alternatives will be under Ashley (cheap managers with no club) it's very unlikely we'll be any better off.

Some of the better results have been against teams that have been suffering a rocky start to the season, but when you think we went to Goodison, played well and got a win (the week after Man United went there and only got a point) and we played some good football against Villa.

I think the problem is a lot of supporters got ahead of themselves after those results, but when you look at what he is working with, financially and on the pitch, there isn't a lot he can do to change a game tbh.

correct me if i'm wrong Ste but it's now 3 very poor performances at home against average-poor teams yielding one point...

alls i'm saying is that cannot continue much longer if we have designs on staying up this season - away form won't keep us up as i've said

hopefully Hughton finds the answer and quick - i personally believe there is one within that group of players and it's his job to find it

you can't hold onto a manager not getting results for fear of the alternatives, it's like staying on a bus with no driver doing 60mph for fear of getting hurt if you jump out

Why are you skirting past an Away win at Goodison and a 6-0 thrashing of Aston Villa? Is it only the negative results that count for anything?

because we didn't really win those games, Villa and Everton lost them more so. There's more to worry about after the 3 home defeats than there is to get excited about after those 2 wins.

I'd take from the City game than the Everton game and definitely a lot more than the Villa game

Why are you skirting past an Away win at Goodison and a 6-0 thrashing of Aston Villa? Is it only the negative results that count for anything?

i'm not skirting past anything, i'm pointing out those results won't keep us up - beating the bread and butter around us will keep us up, especially beating them at home

honestly how many more Villas and Evertons can we realistically expect over the course of the season?  another 3 surprise results perhaps?

don't see what's so controversial about saying you have to win your home games and beat the beatable teams, currently we're not really doing either are we?

I think peoploe may be looking too much in to Hughtons weaknesses. Yes he continues to play Nolan and Perch when available and yes we would be better off if he didn't but if you were to look at the most of managers in this league they all have areas which would be considered to be weaknesses and imo would be just as detrimental to their teams as what Hughton weaknesses is to this team. I am sure you will be able to go on any forum and you will find certain weaknesses that fans will be concerned about. Even the top managers. Dont get me wrong i understand why people are worried and ihave the same concerns and considering we are in a relegation battle people are always going to be a little panicky. Imo, we should have expected a rough patch during the season where things go a little wrong though i understand people's concerns about dropping points from the teams around us.

It's the glaringly obvious tactical issues that worry me about Hughton this season.

Continuing to play Nolan and Perch when neither are performing anywhere near the required standard, persisting with one striker who is clearly isolated and lacks service, overlooking Jonas as a right-sided option when Ben Arfa was fit, constantly leaving our best crosser and set piece taker on the bench when we have a 6 foot 5 inch striker up front etc.

I know at times he hasn't had alternative options but that isn't the case now. Perch is costing us a goal a game and offers fuck all going forward. I'm certain Ryan Taylor or Colo could do a better job there.

The Premier League is ruthless and new managers have to learn very quick in order to succeed. IMO this is where Hughton might fall down - he seems to react to the team's weaknesses and failings a lot slower than he should.

i'm not skirting past anything, i'm pointing out those results won't keep us up - beating the bread and butter around us will keep us up, especially beating them at home

honestly how many more Villas and Evertons can we realistically expect over the course of the season?  another 3 surprise results perhaps?

don't see what's so controversial about saying you have to win your home games and beat the beatable teams, currently we're not really doing either are we?

It's cliched nonsense. We could lose every single one of our home games, win all of our away games and we'd be more than safe.We've picked up maybe 1 or 2 points less than we'd hoped at this point, it's hardly the kind of massive failure that would bring about talk of sackings. We lose vs WHM & mackems, then we're in a poor position, but right now we're in no worse a position than we expected 2 months ago.

It's cliched nonsense. We could lose every single one of our home games, win all of our away games and we'd be more than safe.We've picked up maybe 1 or 2 points less than we'd hoped at this point, it's hardly the kind of massive failure that would bring about talk of sackings. We lose vs WHM & mackems, then we're in a poor position, but right now we're in no worse a position than we expected 2 months ago.

can't believe you've just written that :lol:

What a fucking fantastic counter argument.

Hughton's the first manager I've actually liked in years, I'd not even think about sacking him, he's got a lot of good signings during his 18 months and gave us a sense of stability.

I didn't realise you had to like someone

Lets be honest here, if Hughton was to be sacked it would be a nighmare as I dont think anyone of repute would want to work for Ashley, he offers peanuts wages and wont invest in the squad. It would be either be someone of Kinnear's ilk, or going cap in hand forlornly back for Shearer and quite frankly both of those options are no better than CH.

you have to attract the best managers in

What a fucking fantastic counter argument.

i didn't need to counter such utter shit

taking all else aside i already said i wasn't advocating sacking him earlier in the thread, i just said that such poor home form can't continue (except in SEMTEX land where newly promoted teams having just lost their best player win all of their away games)

Guest neesy111

No promoted team should be relying on their away form.  Home form is what keeps teams up, and ours won't as it stands.

There is no point in this forum. It is a waste of time.

You're fully aware what the point is, but you choose to ignore it, or you're just not very bright.

I'll spell it out.

We need 40-50 points. If we get those points against Chelsea, Everton, Villa, Tottenham et al. then so be it, if we get them vs West Ham, Stoke, Wolves and Wigan, they're the same amount of points, we'd still be safe.

In no way am I saying we're gonna fuck Chelsea up at Stamford, but we're 8 games through, and 1 point short of what was expected. If we continue to throw home games like this, then yes, there will be trouble afoot, but we've lost 2 games at home. Two.

Guest neesy111

There is no point in this forum. It is a waste of time.

You're fully aware what the point is, but you choose to ignore it, or you're just not very bright.

I'll spell it out.

We need 40-50 points. If we get those points against Chelsea, Everton, Villa, Tottenham et al. then so be it, if we get them vs West Ham, Stoke, Wolves and Wigan, they're the same amount of points, we'd still be safe.

In no way am I saying we're gonna fuck Chelsea up at Stamford, but we're 8 games through, and 1 point short of what was expected. If we continue to throw home games like this, then yes, there will be trouble afoot, but we've lost 2 games at home. Two.

We're not gonna need 40-50 points, 35-40 will keep teams up this season tbh.

Because they were basically 6 pointers against fellow potential strugglers - AND at SJP too.

if it's a waste of time it's 'cause you're being obtuse 

where have i said it matters which teams we get the points against?  what's implicit in what i've been saying is that we won't take the points from better teams away from home and certainly won't stay up on away points alone (in fact i've said that 3 times or something so it's not implicit at all)

we need to get points at home to stay up and don't look like doing so in a hurry - again i'm assuming that if we're struggling so badly vs. Blackpool, Stoke and Wigan then i question whether we'll be beating Spurs, Chelsea, Man City etc. at home unless Hughton figures out a way to win games and play against teams that shut up shop

it's really not that difficult

Because they were basically 6 pointers against fellow potential strugglers - AND at SJP too.

It's annoying/frustrating because of that, but nothing more, we've still got the same job to do and we're still on course to do it. Annoyance is to be expected, but even the slightest sack murmurs are ridiculously over the top.

Guest neesy111

That's the thing, I would rather beat team's around us because if you don't and we go down then you think if we had only won those game's against the teams around us.

Hull in 08/09 is a perfect point, if we had drawn that game we would of stayed up.