Wasted Talent

Guest firetotheworks

Iván de la Peña. Remade his career at Espanyol but always felt he was destined to bigger things than being king of a frog pond. He was overhyped beyond belief when he first broke out from our youth teams and he just couldn't handle it. As naturally talented as Xavi or Iniesta.

Iván de la Peña. Remade his career at Espanyol but always felt he was destined to bigger things than being king of a frog pond. He was overhyped beyond belief when he first broke out from our youth teams and he just couldn't handle it. As naturally talented as Xavi or Iniesta.

where did he move to again for big money, Lazio or something?  yeah googled it, Lazio it was

where did he move to again for big money, Lazio or something?  yeah googled it, Lazio it was

We loaned him back later for an awful spell. The problem is that he tried too hard, always looking for a killer ball or the wonder goal and he didn't track back (well, he tried, but his defensive positioning was atrocious). When he moved to Espanyol and out of the spotlight, I think he finally relaxed and just played football. He was immense for them, he and Tamudo carried that team for most of the mid 2000s and he even got a few Spain caps out of it.

Yeah, but he had a career at least and got some recognition etc, everybody knew how good he was.

Everyone knew how good Gazza was, he still didn't play at the level that he should have done, or achieved what he should have done.

where did he move to again for big money, Lazio or something?  yeah googled it, Lazio it was

We loaned him back later for an awful spell. The problem is that he tried too hard, always looking for a killer ball or the wonder goal and he didn't track back (well, he tried, but his defensive positioning was atrocious). When he moved to Espanyol and out of the spotlight, I think he finally relaxed and just played football. He was immense for them, he and Tamudo carried that team for most of the mid 2000s and he even got a few Spain caps out of it.

Ivan De La Pena! What a great baldy footballer he was. One of the bast passer's of the ball i've seen. Couldn't run much like but could still control the game with such ease.

Used to buy him on every Pro Evolution save and just spray balls left right and centre. Awesome.

Yeah, but he had a career at least and got some recognition etc, everybody knew how good he was.

And what ruined him surely was the time from Lazio and out?

At Valencia he had a bunch of games as a top player, wouldn't call that a waste

It was that move that ruined him, he got it in his peak and I've no idea what happened, his career at the top level was effectively over at 27 or so, and for a player that should have got better with age in theory then I don't think we ever saw the best in him.

Hugo Goddamn Viana. Was a VERY good player for sporting and tbh should have been our Cristianto Ronaldo. However he came to NUFC and just sucked. Carreer never recovered.

The man won the double in his first season for godsakes.

It was that move that ruined him, he got it in his peak and I've no idea what happened, his career at the top level was effectively over at 27 or so, and for a player that should have got better with age in theory then I don't think we ever saw the best in him.

He was good in his loan spell at us. Not a world beater but got progressively better as the season went on and he was just a victim of how truly awful that year was for Barça. We still tried to buy him on the cheap, mind, but Boro of all clubs outbid us :facepalm:

Adriano and Mutu for me. Especially Adriano who was almost scary in his prime for Inter and Parma. Mutu in his first season with Chelsea looked unbeatable at times. Also José Reyes is a mention, I honestly thought he would be unstoppable after his first games with Arsenal.

Was it just me being young and stupid or did Mario Stanic look really good for Chelsea in his first days there? What happened to that guy?

Bit weird thinking that all those guys mentioned have barely reached 30...

He was good in his loan spell at us. Not a world beater but got progressively better as the season went on and he was just a victim of how truly awful that year was for Barça. We still tried to buy him on the cheap, mind, but Boro of all clubs outbid us :facepalm:

Yeah I was going to mention, when he was on loan at you he showed glimpses that he could return to his best (even though he played right back against us in the CL :facepalm:), and if he had got a move back to Spain, maybe he could have done, but no. :weep:

Adriano and Mutu for me. Especially Adriano who was almost scary in his prime for Inter and Parma. Mutu in his first season with Chelsea looked unbeatable at times. Also José Reyes is a mention, I honestly thought he would be unstoppable after his first games with Arsenal.

Was it just me being young and stupid or did Mario Stanic look really good for Chelsea in his first days there? What happened to that guy?

Bit weird thinking that all those guys mentioned have barely reached 30...

Reyes still occasionally shows that he could be a cracking player. The potential is there but somehow the mentality is not. He's not lazy but he plays within a comfort zone at Atlético.