"Keep playing!" - What is fair play?

Kaizero

I think the ref need to blow if the play is to stop.

the players have no respect for anything unless the whistle is blown. If the player is feigning, yellow card him.

Also, the respect to match officials is ridicoulus right now, and i would love if players actually had to behave themselves, and that FIFA made it clear that yelling at a ref was a straight yellow at once.

the players have no respect for anything unless the whistle is blown. If the player is feigning, yellow card him.

Are you not contradicting yourself here?

Players stop play without the whistle being blown all the time, I thought the problem was that it stops play too often? If the players never stopped play without a whistle, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Its too easy to blame the rules and the refs, the only reason we have problems with them are the cheating players. Its difficult if not impossible to stop that.

As it is at the moment, the rules means faking an injury can benefit a team, because if the opposition is attacking, they will generally put the ball out or the ref will stop play. A lot of that actually comes down to history, and crowd reaction.

If you changed the rules so that players who need treatment need to sit out until the next stoppage, or 3 minutes, or whatever, then there would be less play acting, but more fouls - since there is a clear benefit in taking a player out. You actually give players an incentive to hurt or injure another player, because as well as kicking the bastard, you might get them down to 10 men for a while. You can see why FIFA would struggle to sanction that.

Players stop play without the whistle being blown all the time, I thought the problem was that it stops play too often? If the players never stopped play without a whistle, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I'd agree it happens too often. Being an old git with a longer term perspective on this, twenty or more years ago, you didn't see players knock the ball out nearly as often as you do now. It wasn't as though players were dropping dead all the time with untreated concussion as a result.

I think it was also the case that refs used to be more inclined to take responsibility for stopping play themselves, and start off with a dropped ball.

What I think you are getting more of now is players needing attention after going down with facial injuries, after being hit with a flying elbow. Unfortunately, it's quite easy to disguise that kind of foul as something innocent.

usually they expect the other team to play it out, then get right up as if nothings ever happened. I hate that, the player lying down can get up while the other team is attacking.

I want players to stop exploiting this fair play thing, and by that i guess it should be upto the ref to stop play. If the ref doesn't, then play on.

edit: I want the players to play football, not act around making fools out of themselves and exploiting everything they can to get a break, or ruin the other sides chance for a counter attack.

Fair enough, I agree it should be up to the ref to decide.

But it's a mistake to think that this will lead to a reduction in the amount of stoppages.

If anything there might be more stoppages as the refs are terrified of (a) being criticised when a goal is scored with a player down 'injured' and (b) not stopping the game and a player's head injury turning out to be really bad.