Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

Harpers hardly gonna say that Ashleys a cunt and being relegated is the worse thing that could have happened to the club is he?

There's no mention of Ashley, and he doesn't even get close to saying that relegation was a ever a good thing.

What I mean is, anything Harper says is irrelevant as hes got a job he'd like to keep.

He'd still be sat on the bench otherwise so you can see why he'd see the benefit of the disaster of 08/09.

Fine, you're right. His interview with Gibson made him sound a complete selfish curnt. 

:banghead:

Where did I say that?

Harper will start next season as a first choice premier league keeper.  He's never been in that position in his whole career.  So relegation has been good for him in the long term.

I'm sure Shay Given isn't looking back thinking "why did i leave?" just yet.

The point was he was talking about the club as a whole maybe benefiting from the clearout following our drop, not his own career. I'm sure he's chuffed that Shay upped sticks, that said though, going by parts of that interview I think he feels he genuinly has a battle on his hands to hold off Krul and Foster.

/It was really good to hear him speak about Foster like that (and gave even more credence to that Norwich fan in the other thread), glad he seems to think the club will do it's best to hold onto him too. :thup:

Not "the" point, "your" point.

"My" point was we all bring our own circumstances with us when we look at a situation. 

Does Harper see us as better off?  It would seem so. 

Does Given?  Probably not.

Does Hughton?  Probably. 

Keegan?  Probably not.

Ashley/Llambias? Definitley.

Me, having seen us promoted last time around and in the Champions league several times over before starting our slow descent?  Not yet.

My little cousin who went to his first match in 2007 and has never seen us win so many games in his life?  I'm afraid so.

It's very much a personal thing whether you're happier at Newcastle now than you have been in the past.

No, it was the point, not mine. The point being, has going down benefited us in any way. I have not even stated my feelings on the issue.

nufc_geordie brought up that he felt the drop could have been necessary to see certain positive changes occur and got slagged to shit for it. It's a hard concept to come to terms with clearly, but here we have a senior player at the club saying that it may well have had some merit to it, that there have been some clear benefits, and that is quite significant.

Again, Harper may well be jumping for joy that Given buggered off (though don't forget that that happened a good deal before we sunk into the chumps league), but I'd prefer to credit him with being able to recognise the big picture rather than be influenced by personal fortune on this issue, fair enough, you don't think that that is the case.

As to your last bit. I too have been there pre and post the last Keegans promotion push, but I think you are again missing the point. Its not about being 'happier at Newcastle now than in the past' - for most of us there have been better times - it's simply about recognising that there may be silver linings to our latest fall and being happy to see them.

nufc_geordie felt there was, and got hammered. Harper indicated that supporters like him might well have had a point, and surprise surprise he is getting the critical digs thrown his way now too.

If you think I've had a dig at anyone anywhere quote it and I'll apologise.  All I've done, I think, is say we all have our own opinions and we should consider where a point of view is coming from before accepting it as fact.  If you refuse to accept that, fair enough but you quoted me initially, not the other way round, and you're telling me the point of our discussion.  But I'm afraid that's not the point I was making when you quoted me..

Harpers hardly gonna say that Ashleys a cunt and being relegated is the worse thing that could have happened to the club is he?

There's no mention of Ashley, and he doesn't even get close to saying that relegation was a ever a good thing.

What I mean is, anything Harper says is irrelevant as hes got a job he'd like to keep.

Presumably we can infer from that that anything any player, any manager, any member of our staff says is irrelevant too?

I guess that just leaves Johns mates twitter page and Simon Birds column left then for informed opinion.  O0

Presumably we can infer from that that anything any player, any manager, any member of our staff says is irrelevant too?

I guess that just leaves Johns mates twitter page and Simon Birds column left then for informed opinion.  O0

Yep, you got it :)

Weve all got opinions, but anyone whos being paid by the club and can be told not to say anything (eg Carrol saga) will not give there 100% honest opinion.

Guest dover

If (and its a big if) we are back to challenging for Europe in 3-5 years then relegation will have been the catalyst for it imo. Its a lot easier to make drastic decisions in the CCC than the Premier League.

Owen would probably still be on our books if we had survivied, another 4 years before we could look to move forward then.

Weve been promoted  to premiership have we? weve spent on class centre forwards? weve replaced ryan taylor and nicky butt in midfield? weve survived the first season post championship?

Fuck me you are THE over-expectand geordie fan myth played out by the media. You fuckin stupid cunt.

WE WILL BE UP FOR SALE THE DAY WE ARE PROMOTED

Please give me a season of mediocrity before you piss me off again

He'd still be sat on the bench otherwise so you can see why he'd see the benefit of the disaster of 08/09.

Fine, you're right. His interview with Gibson made him sound a complete selfish curnt. 

Where did I say that?

Harper will start next season as a first choice premier league keeper.  He's never been in that position in his whole career.  So relegation has been good for him in the long term.

The point was he was talking about the club as a whole maybe benefiting from the clearout following our drop, not his own career. I'm sure he's chuffed that Shay upped sticks, that said though, going by parts of that interview I think he feels he genuinly has a battle on his hands to hold off Krul and Foster.

/It was really good to hear him speak about Foster like that (and gave even more credence to that Norwich fan in the other thread), glad he seems to think the club will do it's best to hold onto him too. :thup:

"My" point was we all bring our own circumstances with us when we look at a situation. 

Does Hughton?  Probably. 

Keegan?  Probably not.

Me, having seen us promoted last time around and in the Champions league several times over before starting our slow descent?  Not yet.

My little cousin who went to his first match in 2007 and has never seen us win so many games in his life?  I'm afraid so.

It's very much a personal thing whether you're happier at Newcastle now than you have been in the past.

No, it was the point, not mine. The point being, has going down benefited us in any way. I have not even stated my feelings on the issue.

nufc_geordie brought up that he felt the drop could have been necessary to see certain positive changes occur and got slagged to shit for it. It's a hard concept to come to terms with clearly, but here we have a senior player at the club saying that it may well have had some merit to it, that there have been some clear benefits, and that is quite significant.

Again, Harper may well be jumping for joy that Given buggered off (though don't forget that that happened a good deal before we sunk into the chumps league), but I'd prefer to credit him with being able to recognise the big picture rather than be influenced by personal fortune on this issue, fair enough, you don't think that that is the case.

As to your last bit. I too have been there pre and post the last Keegans promotion push, but I think you are again missing the point. Its not about being 'happier at Newcastle now than in the past' - for most of us there have been better times - it's simply about recognising that there may be silver linings to our latest fall and being happy to see them.

nufc_geordie felt there was, and got hammered. Harper indicated that supporters like him might well have had a point, and surprise surprise he is getting the critical digs thrown his way now too.

If you think I've had a dig at anyone anywhere quote it and I'll apologise.  All I've done, I think, is say we all have our own opinions and we should consider where a point of view is coming from before accepting it as fact.  If you refuse to accept that, fair enough but you quoted me initially, not the other way round, and you're telling me the point of our discussion.  But I'm afraid that's not the point I was making when you quoted me..

Sorry, I just saw it as a bit of a dig at Harper by electing to believe that he was only seeing positives due to his own personal gain or as Diligaf feels, as simply self preservation, and not as he was stating, that there was were clear, if limited, good things to come out of relegation for the club as a whole. Of course I accept everyone has their own point of view on him, and any notion of silver linings after the disaster of last season.

We needed relegation. :lol: :lol: :lol:

f***ing hell.

f*** off :lol:

we needed relegation ? Is this a joke

Steve Harper -

"A few very, very good supporters of the club insisted perhaps in the long run relegation would turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps they were right."

Blimey. O0

saying relegation could turn out to be a good thing once it's happened and we are recovering from it is different to saying we needed it.

Are you saying nufc_geordie isn't using an element of hindsight in what he said?

possibly but there were a few who were saying it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing even before we were relegated.

Guest jonlane86

I think the point people are missing here is that its not 100% down to Mike that we went down.  If it wasn't last season would have been some time in the following 3 years.  We were a sinking ship destined for relegation.

Now we've gone down we've managed to sort a lot of the stuff out that was wrong with the club, and when we go up we can start to build again.  17th next season would give us the opportunity to stabilise the following season.  

Europe just isn't realistic when you have Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Man City, Everton and Aston Villa challenging for the top 8 spots, and only the top 5 get Europe barring any cup success.  Not to mention Fulham who are still in the Europa League.

All the clubs I've just mentioned aren't on the brink of going into administration, most of them have manageable debt but most are also well run by good managers.

We have to break into this top 8/9 before we can think about Europe, and its going to take a few years to do just that.  At least the way the club is now run means that we have a chance of being self sufficient.  I'd like to see us stay up next year, and then concentrate on playing entertaining football the year after.  We might as well kiss success and honours goodbye and enjoy watching this club play good football.

I think the point youre missing is that as club owner it IS 100% down to Ashley since the time he bought the club

No absolutely, you're 100% right.  The club was didn't owe anyone anything when Ashley bought it, the sponsorship money hadn't already been spent, and it didn't need personal investment from the new owner to keep it afloat, forget I said anything.  :facepalm:

Where did I say that?

Does Hughton?  Probably. 

Keegan?  Probably not.

Sorry, I just saw it as a bit of a dig at Harper by electing to believe that he was only seeing positives due to his own personal gain or as Diligaf feels, as simply self preservation, and not as he was stating, that there was were clear, if limited, good things to come out of relegation for the club as a whole. Of course I accept everyone has their own point of view on him, and any notion of silver linings after the disaster of last season.

I wouldn't dig Harper.  I like Harper....and Hughton.  I'd hope they both keep saying how much better things are and how we're on the up.  Far preferable to the misery of last season.  I think you're right, he did mean the clubs position might be better, not just his own.

I also know to filter the views I hear depending on perspective.  The players would often sing the praises of Allardyce, Souness and Roeder too.

I think the point people are missing here is that its not 100% down to Mike that we went down.  If it wasn't last season would have been some time in the following 3 years.  We were a sinking ship destined for relegation.

Now we've gone down we've managed to sort a lot of the stuff out that was wrong with the club, and when we go up we can start to build again.  17th next season would give us the opportunity to stabilise the following season.  

Europe just isn't realistic when you have Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Man City, Everton and Aston Villa challenging for the top 8 spots, and only the top 5 get Europe barring any cup success.  Not to mention Fulham who are still in the Europa League.

All the clubs I've just mentioned aren't on the brink of going into administration, most of them have manageable debt but most are also well run by good managers.

We have to break into this top 8/9 before we can think about Europe, and its going to take a few years to do just that.  At least the way the club is now run means that we have a chance of being self sufficient.  I'd like to see us stay up next year, and then concentrate on playing entertaining football the year after.  We might as well kiss success and honours goodbye and enjoy watching this club play good football.

I think the point youre missing is that as club owner it IS 100% down to Ashley since the time he bought the club

No absolutely, you're 100% right.  The club was didn't owe anyone anything when Ashley bought it, the sponsorship money hadn't already been spent, and it didn't need personal investment from the new owner to keep it afloat, forget I said anything.  :facepalm:

Phew glad you saw sense, you had me worried for a while :)

we'll agree to differ, pointless arguement really because none of us knows for sure, its all ifs and buts, all we know for sure is that we are now in a lower league, earning less money and owing more than when he took over.

Where did I say that?

Does Hughton?  Probably. 

Keegan?  Probably not.

You must have been hallucinating. It was twice.

Thrice!

I don't count defeat by Partizan, even though it was one of the most important games in the club's history. We fell before qualifying.

Guest malandro

Do you have to be relegated to get rid of the deadwood? No.

No, but it makes it more obvious to all parties, including the deadwood, that things cannot remain the same.

Owen and Viduka were out of contract, and Bassong wasn’t deadwood. So what you’re saying is Duff, Beye and Martins would have insisted on staying if we’d stayed up, can you explain why?

Wasn't specifically referring to just Duff, Beye and Martins - but more to the fact that players and fans would not have accepted the need to change in the wage structure had we stayed up on Goal Difference last year. Had we stayed in the PL then players would have expected higher wages than we are currently offering. Assuming that Routledge still signed for us, do you think he would be on the same wage structure that he is on now. 

If we get promoted this season, then for the 2010-11 season do you think our cost structure will be better, or will be exactly what it would have been had we stayed up. Would fans have the wages/cost structure expectations for the club in 2010-11 had we stayed in the PL?

What’s Routledge going to do if we go up, hand in a transfer request unless he gets a pay rise?

Apart from making our dire financial position a whole lot worse (what were Harpers views on our vastly reduced revenues by the way) relegation has achieved one thing and one thing only – a massive lowering of our expectations. If you buy into the media crap about us having ideas above our station, then you might think this is a good thing. Personally I think being happy with 17th just shows how far we’ve fallen.

The true impact of our relegation won’t be felt until next season, when the reality of losing £40m this year and our new and improved wage structure can be seen on the pitch.

If (and its a big if) we are back to challenging for Europe in 3-5 years then relegation will have been the catalyst for it imo. Its a lot easier to make drastic decisions in the CCC than the Premier League.

Owen would probably still be on our books if we had survivied, another 4 years before we could look to move forward then.

Weve been promoted  to premiership have we? weve spent on class centre forwards? weve replaced ryan taylor and nicky butt in midfield? weve survived the first season post championship?

Fuck me you are THE over-expectand geordie fan myth played out by the media. You fuckin stupid cunt.

Everyone seems to know how it should be done, for some reason no one will put their money where their mouth is and JUST DO IT.

Why are all the prospective buyers of Newcastle weighing their pennies and trying to buy the club at a stupidly low price and all their dithering will just allow Ashley to emerge the winner if promotion is achieved?

Everyone seems to know how it should be done, for some reason no one will put their money where their mouth is and JUST DO IT.

Why are all the prospective buyers of Newcastle weighing their pennies and trying to buy the club at a stupidly low price and all their dithering will just allow Ashley to emerge the winner if promotion is achieved?

I don't imagine many are comfortable dealing with the twat.

Where did I say that?

Does Hughton?  Probably. 

Keegan?  Probably not.

You must have been hallucinating. It was twice.

Thrice!

I don't count defeat by Partizan, even though it was one of the most important games in the club's history. We fell before qualifying.

Typically juvenile of you to focus on some insignificant comment in a post while ignoring the major point or points that have been made.  :idiot2:

Guest malandro

f*** me you are THE over-expectand geordie fan myth played out by the media. You fuckin stupid c***.

I don't imagine many are comfortable dealing with the t***.

Or the £150m of debt, which in the current market gives NUFC a net value of next to nothing.

I don't imagine many are comfortable dealing with the twat.

I think it's more likely the only ones interested haven't got the money.

f*** me you are THE over-expectand geordie fan myth played out by the media. You fuckin stupid c***.

Or the £150m of debt, which in the current market gives NUFC a net value of next to nothing.

The debt has been there all along. If the interested parties wanted a a massive club capable of generating huge future profits without any debt then this just proves they weren't prepared to commit any investment risk at all.

The debt has been there all along. If the interested parties wanted a a massive club capable of generating huge future profits without any debt then this just proves they weren't prepared to commit any investment risk at all.

Could have sworn some people mentioned last week that one of Ashley's greatest achievements was that the club now has no debt.

How are these huge profits going to be generated? 

The previous owners generated a fair bit for themselves. although the club was left with a bit of debt mind...

And how did they manage to do that?

Why didn't they continue to do it if it was so easy?