Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

Guest Roger Kint

supporters put the most money into the club and they always have

Ok just ignore what he said then ;D

Guest bobthemag

Seems to be the way to do it when you know you're wrong. :thup:

how much have supporters put into the club in ticket sales alone ?

Guest Roger Kint

how much have supporters put into the club in ticket sales alone ?

Dear god man :facepalm:

Or one of could just stop being arsey for a second and explain the subtlety in the post you're talking about which isn't at all obvious.

Bob they mean that no single supporter has "put in" more than Ashley so he is teh bestest.

Of course this ignores the fact that no supporter ever expects to see the money he puts into the club again whereas good old Mike only ever put money in in the hope of an even bigger return. Because the recession and his mistakes have lead to what would currently be a loss I think we're supposed to ignore the fact that money from supporters is the only thing from stopping those losses being even bigger and feel sorry for him and thankful to him.

Guest bobthemag

Or one of could just stop being arsey for a second and explain the subtlety in the post you're talking about which isn't at all obvious.

Bob they mean that no single supporter has "put in" more than Ashley so he is teh bestest.

Of course this ignores the fact that no supporter ever expects to see the money he puts into the club again whereas good old Mike only ever put money in in the hope of an even bigger return. Because the recession and his mistakes have lead to what would currently be a loss I think we're supposed to ignore the fact that money from supporters is the only thing from stopping those losses being even bigger and feel sorry for him and thankful to him.

aye he must be the bestest then. They are both tucked.

Guest Roger Kint

Nono Mike Ashley is funding the club though.

He's such a good guy to do it out of the goodness of his heart. :rolleyes:

Care to tell us who thinks he is a good guy?

Guest Roger Kint

You have gone from stupidly missreading one post to a mad assumption that we think Ashley is great? Mental ;D

Guest bobthemag

You have gone from stupidly missreading one post to a mad assumption that we think Ashley is great? Mental ;D

supporters are the only people who put money in and don't expect it back

Guest Roger Kint

Interesting, i have read my post a few times but cant see why you said that back to me

Guest bobthemag

Interesting, i have read my post a few times but cant see why you said that back to me

have you stupidly mis-read my post

Guest Roger Kint

have you stupidly mis-read my post

No i am not thick.

Like he didn't fucking know.

Nono Mike Ashley is funding the club though.

He's such a good guy to do it out of the goodness of his heart. :rolleyes:

Care to tell us who thinks he is a good guy?

Care to tell me why you defend the man who ruined our club?

;D

Read what he said man

I think it's obvious what he said and it's obvious what Bob has said. It's also obvious that Bob is right and that some people are either stupid or acting like kids.

He said that supporters put more money into the club than Ashley and that is entirely correct.

Furthermore, Ashley isn't even putting in an amount of money equal to the amount he caused the club to lose by being relegated, which makes it even worse that he keeps bleating on about it and that some with their heed up their arse think he's sooopa for doing it.  :mackems:

I know what you mean......but it's said all wrong.  They purchase products from the club - they purchase their view of the match, or a shirt or a program. And when they receive the item that they have purchased (watched the match, or got the shirt) their transaction is over.  I don't invest in Heinz when I buy a tin of beans....I pay for the beans and receive the product which concludes my transaction. It's a purchase not an investment.  Football fans are no different in that they purchase football products, receive them by attending the game or getting merchandise, and their purchases are immediately completed.

Investing means - putting money in without receiving anything back immediately, and then hoping to receive a larger payout at some point in the future.  So honestly, Ashley is the only one who is "investing" in the club.

Football clubs are business selling match day experience and other merchandising. We may be fans of the club but we are really customers of the business, but investing in the club we are not.

I know what you mean......but it's said all wrong.   They purchase products from the club - they purchase their view of the match, or a shirt or a program. And when they receive the item that they have purchased (watched the match, or got the shirt) their transaction is over.  I don't invest in Heinz when I buy a tin of beans....I pay for the beans and receive the product which concludes my transaction. It's a purchase not an investment.  Football fans are no different in that they purchase football products, receive them by attending the game or getting merchandise, and their purchases are immediately completed.

Investing means - putting money in without receiving anything back immediately, and then hoping to receive a larger payout at some point in the future.  So honestly, Ashley is the only one who is "investing" in the club.

Football clubs are business selling match day experience and other merchandising. We may be fans of the club but we are really customers of the business, but investing in the club we are not.

Completely correct, and hopefully the end of a completely dumb argument.

Now, if the statement was meant to be that the revenue from the fans is fare greater than the amount that Ashley is investing into the company. 

Absolutely agree.

And would expect nothing less as NUFC is a business, and the business they are in is selling football experiences/merchandise to their customer base. Ashley is trying to keep his business afloat during a period of reduced revenues.  He is trying to get his cost structure back into line with his revenue stream while at the same time producing a product that the companies customer base want to purchase.

It's just business, albeit one that the customer base is uniquely attached to emotionally.

Now, if the statement was meant to be that the revenue from the fans is fare greater than the amount that Ashley is investing into the company. 

Absolutely agree.

And would expect nothing less as NUFC is a business, and the business they are in is selling football experiences/merchandise to their customer base. Ashley is trying to keep his business afloat during a period of reduced revenues.  He is trying to get his cost structure back into line with his revenue stream while at the same time producing a product that the companies customer base want to purchase.

It's just business, albeit one that the customer base is uniquely attached to emotionally.

Well that's how it appeared to me and I daresay most other people who read it.

By the way, I agree Ashley is trying to get the cost structure back into line with revenue. It needs to be said again that the revenue dropped massively due to his long list of mistakes.

Mind boggling that some still defend this fool.

I know what you mean......but it's said all wrong.   They purchase products from the club - they purchase their view of the match, or a shirt or a program. And when they receive the item that they have purchased (watched the match, or got the shirt) their transaction is over.  I don't invest in Heinz when I buy a tin of beans....I pay for the beans and receive the product which concludes my transaction. It's a purchase not an investment.  Football fans are no different in that they purchase football products, receive them by attending the game or getting merchandise, and their purchases are immediately completed.

Completely correct, and hopefully the end of a completely dumb argument.

Typical of you to entirely miss the point yet again.

Absolutely agree.

By the way, I agree Ashley is trying to get the cost structure back into line with revenue. It needs to be said again that the revenue dropped massively due to his long list of mistakes.

TBH not quite sure what the argument is here.....any business should run with revenues covering all costs so I would expect that revenue from fans purchases should be the largest source of revenue.  Hobby businesses run on the owner putting in the majority of the finances, with revenue covering only a small amount of costs.  And NUFC is clearly not a hobby business.

I thought this thread was about the future direction, not the past mistakes (that are many and obvious).

Absolutely agree.

TBH not quite sure what the argument is here.....any business should run with revenues covering all costs so I would expect that revenue from fans purchases should be the largest source of revenue.  Hobby businesses run on the owner putting in the majority of the finances, with revenue covering only a small amount of costs.  And NUFC is clearly not a hobby business.

I thought this thread was about the future direction, not the past mistakes (that are many and obvious).

I don't see why people are arguing in defence of Ashley either, tbh.

A couple of members were just acting like spotty kids earlier on, for whatever reason. Let's face it, nobody could be so dumb as to fail to understand the original post they were bickering over.

http://www.sport.co.uk/features/Football/876/Is_Mike_Ashley_steering_Newcastle_United_in_the_right_direction.aspx

When you hear the words Mike Ashley and Newcastle in the same sentence you think "cunt"

Financial saviour

Firstly, in simple terms, he's more than doubled the debt of the club and taken it from a state of being entirely financed by banks willing to loan money to a solvent club  to a state of technical insolvency whereby only private investment can keep us afloat.

Foresight

Since he got Newcastle relegated, he's cost the club a rumoured £500,000 per week.   In a desparate attempt to offset those kinds of losses he failed to find anyone interested in putting their name on the stadium.

Future Planning

Far from changing the perception of Newcastle; where the likes of Luque, Boumsong, and Emre be allowed to come for bumper paydays he's bought top four rejects like Alan Smith who would not be paid as though they were still amongst Europe’s elite and given ridiculous wages to other similar players like Geremi, Barton and Collocini without relegation clauses.

This campaign; he has signed Williamson, Routledge, Best and Simpson. All these players were bought at a rock bottom price and accordingly will not cut it in the Premier league. This would be sensible business foresight if it were a platform on which to build, however this is the blueprint which will not change once promotion is achieved

Fresh Approach

He's shown a complete lack of judgement, in managers. Ashley has stuck by Chris Hughton and Joe Kinnear who will tow the line and shown the door to a proven manager like Keegan who knows what it takes to succeed.  In 3 years he's gone through 5 managers.

These decisions have been rewarded with relegation and a dogfight on the cards next year

Final word

Obviously cracks can be papered over with good results on the pitch but no-one should be fooled by promotion from the second division with some of the most pedestrian football you could imagine.

It would be nice to see everyone pulling in the same direction for once, all wanting the best for the club. Unfortunately Ashley has Llambias in the press at every opportunity denegrating the 40000+ fans that have continued to show unstinting support to the team.

FYP

:pow: