Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction?

LooneyToonArmy

Here is my view on things, for all you Ashley Haters.

2007...........Bought a club in financial meltdown, struggling on the park with little or no valuable players and a new manager not of his choice. Failed to conduct due diligence therefore incurring a shitload of hidden costs. Backed the manager in the transfer market.

2008........ Failure on the park evident, manager had to go, made mistake of appointing the fans choice but managed safety due to a decent end of season run. Still in financial meltdown and allegedly paid off 110 million pounds of debt from own pocket. Appointed a european style management structure with little chance of success due to the personalities involved.

2009........Manager walks out due to no available money, clashes over transfer policy of Wise etc, playwers underperforming, appoints coach as stand in manager, appoints probable 40th choice manager, Kinnear, illness, injuries, players getting stroppy, more under performance, another stand in manager, yet another stand in manager, club up for saler, no buyers...relegated by ONE point.

2010..........club up for sale again, reduced price, no takers, temporary manager, disillusioned players sold, noone purchased, severely reduced revenue, club still severely in debt, economic crisis reduced owners assets by half, no longer a billionaire, club appoints coach full time manager, players respond, owner takes backward seat, reduces debt further by trimming staff, resources etc, club still winning, top of the league, player strength low, need recruits, spends money in January, club still top, ploughs more of personal money to pay salaries, remains inj background, club off the market, advises days of over spending over, plans on young players, introduces new scouting strategy, more sponsorship, new sponsorship, CLUB STILL TOP, has a plan over a number of years to improve aon and off the park.

YES, we have had three years at least of total ineptitude by many more people other than Ashley. I doubt you can blame him for the attitude of so called players, injuries to so called superstars, inability of so called managers and the complete and utter inability to achierve results. One  thing is for sure, we are now better off financially than when we were under the last days of FS. There is a financial plan in place and if this means we need to live within our means, then so be it. Othyers in ffuture years will fall by the wayside due to over spending, like Portsmouth and possibly even Hull, Burnley etc. Hopefully, we will not and under Ashlery, I believe he has learned a lot of lessons both on and off the park and in years to come, will lead the club to better times as long as he is given a chance to do so.

The past is history. Get over it and look to the future. If you dont l;ike it, feck off and support mackemland.

There we go again, saying the debt has been paid off.

If i do a transfer balance from one credit card to another I suppose I could tell the wife that Ive paid the credit card off

It doesnt mean that I am now debt free.

How can we be better off financially if we now owe more and are earning less?

Is it just because theyve said we have a financial plan in place? a plan that we dont really know about and wont untill next season.

and yes the past is history, but we judge people on there past actions and Ashley's past actions havent exactly been deserving of our trust has it?.

as for your last sentence.....twat

The real test of Ashley's running of the club will come next season in any case. Although this season has gone better than anyone could have reasonably hoped adding quality to the squad is a must if we get promoted and will cost money. Forget the daft talk of winning the title, the objective should be to bring the squad up to premiership standard if only to protect Ashley's own investment. That will take about £20-30million, but promotion alone should be worth that much.

ffs nobody is talking about winning the title.  :facepalm:

By the way, relegation lost what promotion is worth, which is why I've no time for those who heap praise on Ashley for supposedly putting in £20mill.

He doesn't know what he's on about, man. It's always been that way.

Is Mike Ashley steering Newcastle United in the right direction? A simple yes or no will do.

There is more to it, a simple yes/no is sufficient only for simpletons.

Ashley did ok in January in one area of running a football club, he did shite for the previous 2 1/2 years in every aspect of running a football club, so to anyone who is not a simpleton it's clear he has a fair way to go and a lot to prove.

I don’t know a single supporter who was calling for Keegan to be reappointed, was that the mood on here after Fat Sam was paid off? Was there a Hitzfeld style campaign to bring back King Kev?

I agree. Me too.

Perhaps a couple of people ~10,000 miles away wanted Keegan to be reappointed and Ian has extrapolated that to mean the entire supporter base of Newcastle United.  :laugh:

Over 43% thought we'd finish in the top 2 on Toontastic....

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=24453&st=0

I predicted that we'd walk it and win the first 12 on the bounce.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=24445&view=findpost&p=630298

Was there a similar poll on here?  Was the outlook more negative.

Pointless.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Total Votes: 71

pointless?

The point is many people predicted (and expected) we'd be in the position we are now and anything less would have been a huge disappointment.  Conventional wisdom on this is now so perverted that no-one argues with the conensus we all thought we'd struggle to reach the play-offs.  But that's Llambias talk.

Whether you can see the results or not.  It's the truth.

2007...........Bought a club in financial meltdown, struggling on the park with little or no valuable players and a new manager not of his choice. Failed to conduct due diligence therefore incurring a shitload of hidden costs. Backed the manager in the transfer market.

2008........ Failure on the park evident, manager had to go, made mistake of appointing the fans choice but managed safety due to a decent end of season run. Still in financial meltdown and allegedly paid off 110 million pounds of debt from own pocket. Appointed a european style management structure with little chance of success due to the personalities involved.

2009........Manager walks out due to no available money, clashes over transfer policy of Wise etc, playwers underperforming, appoints coach as stand in manager, appoints probable 40th choice manager, Kinnear, illness, injuries, players getting stroppy, more under performance, another stand in manager, yet another stand in manager, club up for saler, no buyers...relegated by ONE point.

2010..........club up for sale again, reduced price, no takers, temporary manager, disillusioned players sold, noone purchased, severely reduced revenue, club still severely in debt, economic crisis reduced owners assets by half, no longer a billionaire, club appoints coach full time manager, players respond, owner takes backward seat, reduces debt further by trimming staff, resources etc, club still winning, top of the league, player strength low, need recruits, spends money in January, club still top, ploughs more of personal money to pay salaries, remains inj background, club off the market, advises days of over spending over, plans on young players, introduces new scouting strategy, more sponsorship, new sponsorship, CLUB STILL TOP, has a plan over a number of years to improve aon and off the park.

YES, we have had three years at least of total ineptitude by many more people other than Ashley. I doubt you can blame him for the attitude of so called players, injuries to so called superstars, inability of so called managers and the complete and utter inability to achierve results. One  thing is for sure, we are now better off financially than when we were under the last days of FS. There is a financial plan in place and if this means we need to live within our means, then so be it. Othyers in ffuture years will fall by the wayside due to over spending, like Portsmouth and possibly even Hull, Burnley etc. Hopefully, we will not and under Ashlery, I believe he has learned a lot of lessons both on and off the park and in years to come, will lead the club to better times as long as he is given a chance to do so.

The past is history. Get over it and look to the future. If you dont l;ike it, feck off and support mackemland.

If i do a transfer balance from one credit card to another I suppose I could tell the wife that Ive paid the credit card off

Is it just because theyve said we have a financial plan in place? a plan that we dont really know about and wont untill next season.

and yes the past is history, but we judge people on there past actions and Ashley's past actions havent exactly been deserving of our trust has it?.

OK, you're right, the debt at the moment still exists. However, the difference with your credit card example is that no interest is being paid, so in financial terms the monthly club outgoings are the same as if the £110m debt did not exist. The problems evident at Man Utd and Liverpool at the moment are not the sheer size of the debt as such, its the fact that such large debt needs servicing with interest payments, and that for both clubs, a couple of years outside the CL places and they would be absolutely fucked as they couldn't afford the interest. NUFC do not have that to worry about.

If the club was sold, it would have been effectively sold debt free (save for Barclays as I've said). I'm certainly not going to put on an internet message board how I know that, and if you don't want to believe me I'm not too bothered, but do you really think that this summer Ashley was trying to sell NUFC for £200M + and he actually had some interested parties (including Shepherd at one stage)?

Keeping on topic, the original question is a bit daft. Of course the club is heading in the right direction this season, as we are top of the league. Is the club heading in the right direction, assessed over Ashley's entire reign? Of course not, we're a league lower. How long will it take NUFC to get back to the point we were at before he took over? We'll find out next season. My own view is that squad wise we were a lower middle table club, and had really been that way since Robson left, bar an overperforming run in under Roeder and some fortunate results elsewhere.

Guest Brummiemag

I dont know a single supporter who was calling for Keegan to be reappointed, was that the mood on here after Fat Sam was paid off? Was there a Hitzfeld style campaign to bring back King Kev?

I agree. Me too.

Perhaps a couple of people ~10,000 miles away wanted Keegan to be reappointed and Ian has extrapolated that to mean the entire supporter base of Newcastle United.  :laugh:

Not many were calling for Keegan to be reappointed but a hell of a lot of fans including myself were delighted when he was appointed, hence the bumper crowd against Stoke just to see him sitting in the stands and the sale of 3 year season tickets sold on the back of his appointment

OK, you're right, the debt at the moment still exists. However, the difference with your credit card example is that no interest is being paid, so in financial terms the monthly club outgoings are the same as if the £110m debt did not exist. The problems evident at Man Utd and Liverpool at the moment are not the sheer size of the debt as such, its the fact that such large debt needs servicing with interest payments, and that for both clubs, a couple of years outside the CL places and they would be absolutely fucked as they couldn't afford the interest. NUFC do not have that to worry about.

If the club was sold, it would have been effectively sold debt free (save for Barclays as I've said). I'm certainly not going to put on an internet message board how I know that, and if you don't want to believe me I'm not too bothered, but do you really think that this summer Ashley was trying to sell NUFC for £200M + and he actually had some interested parties (including Shepherd at one stage)?

Keeping on topic, the original question is a bit daft. Of course the club is heading in the right direction this season, as we are top of the league. Is the club heading in the right direction, assessed over Ashley's entire reign? Of course not, we're a league lower. How long will it take NUFC to get back to the point we were at before he took over? We'll find out next season. My own view is that squad wise we were a lower middle table club, and had really been that way since Robson left, bar an overperforming run in under Roeder and some fortunate results elsewhere.

Its not that I want to disbelieve you as I hope you are right, but one person on a message board saying something is true without proof doesnt mean it is. No disrespect intended.

From what I can see , he had interested parties because the price was £100m, not untill the nondisclosure was signed were the debts shown, then no one was interested.

Which tells me the debts wanted back are a lot more than just the Barclays loan. but as I say I hope you are right.

Ashley did ok in January in one area of running a football club, he did s**** for the previous 2 1/2 years in every aspect of running a football club, so to anyone who is not a simpleton it's clear he has a fair way to go and a lot to prove.

I'm not sure he did shit in the first 2 1/2 years, his first year gave us an improved league position.  He's had 1 poor season and we look like we're putting that one right this season.  The club is heading in the right direction and Ashley has to be given some of the credit for that, just like he was given stick when we were relegated.

pointless?

The point is many people predicted (and expected) we'd be in the position we are now and anything less would have been a huge disappointment.  Conventional wisdom on this is now so perverted that no-one argues with the conensus we all thought we'd struggle to reach the play-offs.  But that's Llambias talk.

The link is pointless as you can't see the poll results unless you're a member.

Ashley did ok in January in one area of running a football club, he did s**** for the previous 2 1/2 years in every aspect of running a football club, so to anyone who is not a simpleton it's clear he has a fair way to go and a lot to prove.

I'm not sure he did s*** in the first 2 1/2 years, his first year gave us an improved league position.  He's had 1 poor season and we look like we're putting that one right this season.  The club is heading in the right direction and Ashley has to be given some of the credit for that, just like he was given stick when we were relegated.

Mick, dont be silly mate. You cant expect some on here to recognise the difference between woods and trees, can you? They prefer to live in the past and toss their dummies out of the pram.

Ha ha ha!  That's one of the best statistics I've heard to defend Ashley.  An improved league position in his first year.  From 13th to 12th.  Considering the season we finished in 13th we had one of the worst injury crisis the league has seen, as well as Glenn Roeder in charge.

That first season was where the roots of relegation were sown, when he brought in a Newcastle legend as manager and failed to bak him as he, and we, were promised he would and then installing a system of director of football and bringing in one of  his mates who didn't have the first idea on what the role was.

Ha ha ha!  That's one of the best statistics I've heard to defend Ashley.  An improved league position in his first year.  From 13th to 12th.  Considering the season we finished in 13th we had one of the worst injury crisis the league has seen, as well as Glenn Roeder in charge.

That first season was where the roots of relegation were sown, when he brought in a Newcastle legend as manager and failed to bak him as he, and we, were promised he would and then installing a system of director of football and bringing in one of  his mates who didn't have the first idea on what the role was.

I'm not sure that injuries cost Roeder too much, his best results came when players were injured and the team picked itself.  It could be argued that we improved our league position despite having allardyce for so long.  I don't agree that relegation was sown the season before it happened.  Relegation came about because we brought in a player behind the managers back and that happened during last season. 

pointless?

The link is pointless as you can't see the poll results unless you're a member.

Lots of people are members.

You could even sign up.  :thup:

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=24445&view=findpost&p=630298

Pointless.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

pointless?

There are not 71 regular posters on TT, so which way did the 'strong' voices of the forum vote? Poll shows the majority didnt think we would get promoted at first attempt. TT has its share of daft young uns and as a regular contributor, i'd bet money that the 40 odd % who voted 1 or 2 were not the regulars.

Also, you were clearly taking the piss with your post, so posting it as evidence you thought we'd fine is very naughty. Also, i dont think i like to be told that i am unable to intepret the evidence of reading the forum to guage the mood of people on it. All that negativity was just in my head and your poll/post proves that. Bollocks basically.

Pointless.

pointless?

There are not 71 regular posters on TT, so which way did the 'strong' voices of the forum vote?

Not 71 regular posters?  Look at the posters around 70th place in terms of post count...

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?&name_box=begins&sort_key=posts&sort_order=desc&filter=ALL&act=members&max_results=60&aim=&yahoo=&icq=&msn=&posts=&joined=&lastpost=&lastvisit=&signature=&homepage=&name=&photoonly=&st=60

2Bias

Canofbeans

Armchairpundit

Paddy

Magma

Baggio

Optimistic Nut

Kitman

I'd say they're pretty regular contributors.

Poll shows the majority didnt think we would get promoted at first attempt.

Not automatically.  It was the most popular option with 45%.  With about 80% predicting at least a play off place.

Automatic (1-2) [ 33 ] [45.83%]

Playoff (3-6) [ 24 ] [33.33%]

top half (7-12) [ 7 ] [9.72%]

lower half (13-21) [ 5 ] [6.94%]

in the shitehole (22-24) [ 2 ] [2.78%]

We got relegated?! [ 1 ] [1.39%]

TT has its share of daft young uns and as a regular contributor, i'd bet money that the 40 odd % who voted 1 or 2 were not the regulars.

Also, you were clearly taking the piss with your post, so posting it as evidence you thought we'd fine is very naughty. Also, i dont think i like to be told that i am unable to intepret the evidence of reading the forum to guage the mood of people on it. All that negativity was just in my head and your poll/post proves that. Bollocks basically.

I've never said anything whatsoever was in your head.  Just that it's not true when Tron says no-one expected us to be where we are.

and if my optimistic view was seen as a piss take, here's a more measured post where I said we should be getting auto-promotion....

I reckon we DO have a team that should be ashamed to not get promoted out of this league. 3 or 4 injuries/suspensions though and our squad couldn't cope.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=25437&view=findpost&p=663645

We've hardly had any injury trouble.

and if my optimistic view was seen as a piss take, here's a more measured post where I said we should be getting auto-promotion....

I reckon we DO have a team that should be ashamed to not get promoted out of this league. 3 or 4 injuries/suspensions though and our squad couldn't cope.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=25437&view=findpost&p=663645

taylor out for most of the season,barton out for all of it,ameobi was supposed to be first choice this season,then enrique.

taylor out for most of the season,barton out for all of it,ameobi was supposed to be first choice this season,then enrique.

Exaggeration to say Taylor's been out "most of the season"... he's played more than half the games.  And Enrique's played three quarters....there's only 6 players who've had more games.

Exaggeration to say Taylor's been out "most of the season"... he's played more than half the games.  And Enrique's played three quarters....there's only 6 players who've had more games.

ok then. by the time the season finishes taylor will have missed more than half the season, barton stands and so does ameobi......that was supposed to be the spine of the team. i'll bet our injuries have been as bad if not worse than most others.