Roy Keane going to Celtic?

Stifler

Guest cla1dwa

we could go up with the same team, the same manager, and change nothing, and we'd survive. confidence is a massive thing. player for player, we're better than the three who'll go down this season. the bottom half of the premier league is toilet. to suggest we get rid of a manager in the form of his life, with a presumably decent relationship with the players, and replace him with a man who's got a proven track record of relegating premier league sides and being shit at a club that it is nigh-on impossible to be shit at is the gibbering rantings of a crack addict.

and roy keane can piss right off. he's a shit manager who'd be crap at celtic. ipswich should be in the play offs this year at least.

I just cannot help but think Hughton has been quite lucky this season, we've had a fantastic season in a weak league but I genuinely can't remember a moment when I've thought "Great decision, Chris" when it comes to making a change, picking a team, changing a game plan etc. If you don't do that in the top flight you'll get punished.

I have a massive amount of admiration for the fella but I won't be overly confident if he's still our manager going into the new season. I'm not being unrealistic, I'm not saying that if we get promoted we should be aiming for anything above survival. I just think if we enter into a Premiership season, three or four new faces or not, with the same manager with his same ideas then we'll be straight back down again.

What is wrong with you?

To not have faith in Hughton is one thing, but to suggest Mowbray as a better option is absolutely insane.

His teams are never defensively sound and that will always be a major issue.

Hell no!

And at what point over the last 15 years has our team been defensively sound?

Err, we've just kept our 19th clean sheet of the season and have the best defensive record in the league, with 2 of our defenders the top picks for fan's player of the year... So, this year?

I just cannot help but think Hughton has been quite lucky this season, we've had a fantastic season in a weak league but I genuinely can't remember a moment when I've thought "Great decision, Chris" when it comes to making a change, picking a team, changing a game plan etc. If you don't do that in the top flight you'll get punished.

I have a massive amount of admiration for the fella but I won't be overly confident if he's still our manager going into the new season. I'm not being unrealistic, I'm not saying that if we get promoted we should be aiming for anything above survival. I just think if we enter into a Premiership season, three or four new faces or not, with the same manager with his same ideas then we'll be straight back down again.

What is wrong with you?

To not have faith in Hughton is one thing, but to suggest Mowbray as a better option is absolutely insane.

His teams are never defensively sound and that will always be a major issue.

Hell no!

Err, we've just kept our 19th clean sheet of the season and have the best defensive record in the league, with 2 of our defenders the top picks for fan's player of the year... So, this year?

Come on. Obviously this season, in a lower division, has been a success. However, the whole point of this discussion regarding Hughton/Mowbray is based on our manager in the top flight.

We come up against the likes of Billy Sharp, Michael Chopra, Dexter Blackstock, Darius Henderson, Rob Earnshaw week in week out in this league.

I'm sure don't need to mention there is a significant increase in class in the top flight.

Guest cla1dwa

1996/1997. we let in four less than man utd and had the best goal difference in the league. even in 03/04 we only let in three more than liverpool and conceded less than everyone in the league bar the champions league places.

Guest cla1dwa
the whole point of this discussion regarding Hughton/Mowbray is based on our manager in the top flight.

exactly. one has a proven track record of relegating premiership teams and has just been sacked.

Well then what would you think, seriously, this group of players with Hughton in charge are capable of achieving in the Premiership?

Genuinely interested to find out. I think we'd get our arse handed to us home and away by the majority.

I couldn't care less about the SPL, but Mowbray is the main reason for the surge in form for Middlesbrough

9 - All but one of the 9 goals scored by Boro at the Riverside in 2010 have come from players signed from Celtic in January.

This was 22/3 so don't know how accurate it is right now.

Guest Stephen927

Roy Keane could land the Real Madrid job and he'd still be scratching around his old clubs looking for loans.

I believe with a few extra players our squad will be comparable with the bottom half of the Premiership.

But I'd say that stability, morale and consistency are a massive reason why I wouldn't want a change in manager.

Guest cla1dwa
Well then what would you think, seriously, this group of players with Hughton in charge are capable of achieving in the Premiership?

survival at the very least. player for player we're as good if not better than a host of lower half premiership teams. fucking hell, at least one of hull, wolves, burnley and wigan are staying up for god's sake. if we were there this season, and didn't have the ludicrous managerial changes of last year, do you honestly think we'd not do as well as burnley and hull? really?

His signings for Celtic are pretty terrible, and he's a smog.

Ultimately, what has Tony Mowbray achieved that Chris Hughton hasn't? Some minor success with Hibs?

If Hughton fails miserably in the Prem, then yeah, we look around, but not till then.

The problem with the last line is that if Hughton fails, we either get relegated or then have to try to recruit a manager mid-season when the rules prevent you from poaching another club's manager - and the ones currently employed are most likely to be the best ones......

Eh? Have I totally missed a new rule being brought in that stops managers moving club mid season?

I am thinking the same.

survival at the very least. player for player we're as good if not better than a host of lower half premiership teams. f***ing hell, at least one of hull, wolves, burnley and wigan are staying up for god's sake. if we were there this season, and didn't have the ludicrous managerial changes of last year, do you honestly think we'd not do as well as burnley and hull? really?

I think we COULD do better than Hull, Burnley, Wolves, Wigan probably but against the lesser mid-table fodder of Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Stoke, even West Ham we'd struggle. The gap between the Championship and the Premiership is vast. Christ, look at Shola at the start of the season.

I do agree that confidence plays a massive part in football, as has shown this season.

How about discipline though with Hughton? I can't help but wonder how many other clubs/managers would have tolderated the Carroll/Taylor issue. Granted, Carroll is in top form right now but to chin another player and keep your place in the starting line up is pretty shoddy.

Guest cla1dwa
How about discipline though with Hughton? I can't help but wonder how many other clubs/managers would have tolderated the Carroll/Taylor issue

firstly, other than the fact they had a fight, everything else is rumour, hot air and bullshit. if taylor has been a complete arsehole and carroll has snapped, that's a big difference to someone just attacking someone out of the blue.

secondly, hughton's job is to get results for us. he could have got on his moral highhorse, banned carroll, and we'd not have beaten doncaster. or he could have played him as he's in red hot form, and watched him score the winner. which he did. good management.

The fact that we don't really know what happened there is perfect management by the club imo. I'd prefer they said fuck all and dealt with it behind closed doors. And there's no way of confirming what has or hasn't been dished out.

survival at the very least. player for player we're as good if not better than a host of lower half premiership teams. f***ing hell, at least one of hull, wolves, burnley and wigan are staying up for god's sake. if we were there this season, and didn't have the ludicrous managerial changes of last year, do you honestly think we'd not do as well as burnley and hull? really?

I agree, if you look at our squad and compare it with those teams, i think ours is better, the reason we were relegated last season wasn't a lack of quality but a lack of spirit. I think this team is actually better than the one that got us relegated, not in terms of quality but in terms of spirit which imo is hugely important. I also think Hughton is good enough, yes he makes tactical mistakes but don't most managers ? I mean KK, always got the spirit with in  the team perfect but was famous for being tactically below par, Joe Harvey  used to get his tactics from Taxi drivers.

How about discipline though with Hughton? I can't help but wonder how many other clubs/managers would have tolderated the Carroll/Taylor issue

firstly, other than the fact they had a fight, everything else is rumour, hot air and bullshit. if taylor has been a complete arsehole and carroll has snapped, that's a big difference to someone just attacking someone out of the blue.

secondly, hughton's job is to get results for us. he could have got on his moral highhorse, banned carroll, and we'd not have beaten doncaster. or he could have played him as he's in red hot form, and watched him score the winner. which he did. good management.

They represent the football club and are in a privelidged position, let's be honest, it's not the first time Carroll has spoken with his fists eh? Granted, Taylor might have been a prick but it doesn't mean Carroll had the right to chin him.

It's nothing to do with Hughton getting on his 'moral highhorse', it's about him doing the right thing, you can't have the players scrapping with each other, whether it's off the pitch or not and getting away with it.

I mean, the win at Donny was absolutely HUGE and I'm glad Carroll started, but he shouldn't have done given what had allegedly gone on.

Besides, if he hadn't got the winner Leon Best would have.

:shifty:

They represent the football club and are in a privelidged position, let's be honest, it's not the first time Carroll has spoken with his fists eh? Granted, Taylor might have been a prick but it doesn't mean Carroll had the right to chin him.

It's nothing to do with Hughton getting on his 'moral highhorse', it's about him doing the right thing, you can't have the players scrapping with each other, whether it's off the pitch or not and getting away with it.

I mean, the win at Donny was absolutely HUGE and I'm glad Carroll started, but he shouldn't have done given what had allegedly gone on.

When Bobby was in charge did you think he should have been sacked because of ill-discipline within the camp? Plenty of that when Bellamy, Dyer et al were at the club. I was more than happy with the way he dealt with it behind the scenes and without the fuss. Alternatively there's the hard man Souness method. Remind me how that worked out for us again...

Guest cla1dwa
It's nothing to do with Hughton getting on his 'moral highhorse', it's about him doing the right thing

and the right thing is winning football matches whilst in charge of newcastle, which will lead us to being promoted, and so on. the 'right thing' for all you know could have been to play carroll, because 99% of the players are on his side, because taylor's an arsehole and was winding him up about money and/or his mrs.

pure speculation, but that's all you've got as well. your leon best comment may be a joke, but if you acknowledge it as such, then it seems you're saying you'd rather the manager dropped his best players if they have behaved in a way that you suspect may be unacceptable but have no real knowledge of and we don't win as opposed to seeing us actually win a match?

that's some strange thinking. and besides, carroll's a bit of a livewire who's punched someone. he's not jack the ripper.

When Bobby was in charge did you think he should have been sacked because of ill-discipline within the camp? Plenty of that when Bellamy, Dyer et al were at the club. I was more than happy with the way he dealt with it behind the scenes and without the fuss. Alternatively there's the hard man Souness method. Remind me how that worked out for us again...

I'm not saying I want a disciplinarian in charge, not that Souness was one of them mind, he just sold off the 'trouble-makers'.

And no, I didn't think Bobby should have been sacked, but I also don't think Chris Hughton should be sacked, merely moved down to what was once a preferred coaching role, and certainly not solely for the reason of instilling discipline.

It's nothing to do with Hughton getting on his 'moral highhorse', it's about him doing the right thing

and the right thing is winning football matches whilst in charge of newcastle, which will lead us to being promoted, and so on. the 'right thing' for all you know could have been to play carroll, because 99% of the players are on his side, because taylor's an arsehole and was winding him up about money and/or his mrs.

pure speculation, but that's all you've got as well. your leon best comment may be a joke, but if you acknowledge it as such, then it seems you're saying you'd rather the manager dropped his best players if they have behaved in a way that you suspect may be unacceptable but have no real knowledge of and we don't win as opposed to seeing us actually win a match?

that's some strange thinking. and besides, carroll's a bit of a livewire who's punched someone. he's not jack the ripper.

Aye, if Carroll hadn't behaved in a way that I suspect to be unacceptable (punching Taylor regardless of any provocation) then I would assume the club would have said something along those lines. Carroll punched a fellow player, it's not acceptable at any football club.

I did acknowledge the Best comment as a joke, aye. Would I have rather had Best up front in place of Carroll? Not a chance. I'm f***ing delighted Carroll played, and scored. I just don't think he should have.