MLS 2010

Kaizero

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Union definitely needed a GK, I know that much. But this superdraft thing is really hard to know what is good/bad given the lack of coverage on the MLS & College Soccer on the sports channels.

:thup:

Aye. The only way I was able to get even a slight hint last year was on the MLS website itself on the projected draft bit.

Yeah they only play a few matches on ESPNU now and again (until the finals when they get aired on ESPN2).  Other than that it's not the easiest thing in the world to find out info on most of these guys.  I usually just wait until draft time and do my reading then - let everyone else do the hard work.

Guest Heneage

I'm excited to see what DC do. They should be much better than they are imo the infrastructure being so close to the capital should allow for attracting better players than a 36 year old Jamie Moreno and that terrible Hernandez they had.

Dax McCarty was a good start.

Union definitely needed a GK, I know that much. But this superdraft thing is really hard to know what is good/bad given the lack of coverage on the MLS & College Soccer on the sports channels.

Aye. The only way I was able to get even a slight hint last year was on the MLS website itself on the projected draft bit.

I could be wrong, but it feels like there was a fair bit of college soccer on FSN. We live near Akron, so we'd always look out for their games. Can't say I knew much about their players though.

I'm excited to see what DC do. They should be much better than they are imo the infrastructure being so close to the capital should allow for attracting better players than a 36 year old Jamie Moreno and that terrible Hernandez they had.

They get no support from their city, especially when it comes to trying to find a way out of RFK.  They may actually move to Baltimore in the next few seasons because the mayor of DC said "absolutely not" when asked about money for DC United to build a new stadium in the area.

I could be wrong, but it feels like there was a fair bit of college soccer on FSN. We live near Akron, so we'd always look out for their games. Can't say I knew much about their players though.

Yeah they do show a decent amount of matches.

The only place to go for him is up. He really improved this year, him and Saad were great on the counterattack, and he can hit from pretty much anywhere. Essentially he's the only player if this draft I've watched for more than one game. Apparently had a really good combine, too.

I think hes best on the wing, but can definitely play in the middle too. Either wing, he's probably best at cutting in and ripping a shot. Can play striker too, and use his size with that, but he's also good on the ball, good passer, and quick. There's a lot of options with him.

Guest Heneage

They get no support from their city, especially when it comes to trying to find a way out of RFK.  They may actually move to Baltimore in the next few seasons because the mayor of DC said "absolutely not" when asked about money for DC United to build a new stadium in the area.

They really don't seem to put much effort into sport I mean the Redskins get attention but little else.

It's quite frustrating I'd like to live in DC one day for sure and in the DCMetro area every Saturday morning the place was bursting with kids and parents playing Football, so their catchment area must be pretty big.

They need support though they have a good potential there.

They really don't seem to put much effort into sport I mean the Redskins get attention but little else.

It's quite frustrating I'd like to live in DC one day for sure and in the DCMetro area every Saturday morning the place was bursting with kids and parents playing Football, so their catchment area must be pretty big.

The main reason they won't get a stadium any time soon is because the Nationals just had one built so they are out in the boondocks for a few more seasons now and I don't think the execs at DC United are willing to wait that long.

There are a lot of soccerfootball fans in the city though.  One of the flagship franchises as well which would be a shame to see them move.

I think hes best on the wing, but can definitely play in the middle too. Either wing, he's probably best at cutting in and ripping a shot. Can play striker too, and use his size with that, but he's also good on the ball, good passer, and quick. There's a lot of options with him.

Cheers

Guest Heneage

The main reason they won't get a stadium any time soon is because the Nationals just had one built so they are out in the boondocks for a few more seasons now and I don't think the execs at DC United are willing to wait that long.

There are a lot of soccerfootball fans in the city though.  One of the flagship franchises as well which would be a shame to see them move.

Is the pricing at games always so high they wanted $25 for a scarf?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Think its more to do with $25 for a scarf being 'in-line' with other American Sports, sadly, even then, that's what... £18? Not too far off what some clubs would ask for a scarf over here.

I have found scarves to be expensive, along with other gear as well, yes.

I paid $35 (CAN) for an Impact scarf when I saw them one year in Montreal.

When it comes to kits there are lots of different levels too that you can buy.  The two main ones being Authentic (patches, better quality fabric, all of the extras) and just your basic kit which doesn't have the patches or any of the bells and whistles.  Price difference is usually around $40 with the Authentic kit (no names/numbers) being $110 total.

It seems that in most US sports it's a lot more common to buy an authentic t-shirt than it is to buy the jersey. I guess this has an affect on the prices of jerseys... or maybe the price of jerseys is the reason all these t-shirts exist!?

WHO KNOWS!

Guest Heneage

The country as a whole felt expensive when it came to Football stuff tbh, boots costing near $200 when they were no different to the ones I'd brought with me. I don't know if it's because it's a niche market but I found it weird.

The country as a whole felt expensive when it came to Football stuff tbh, boots costing near $200 when they were no different to the ones I'd brought with me. I don't know if it's because it's a niche market but I found it weird.

That's $200 for the really high end boots.  I'm sure it's the same in the UK where you can buy different levels of the same kind of boots.  I usually only spend $40 or so on my boots but there are ones that look exactly alike that are in the $200 range because instead of synthetic leather they will have real kangaroo leather or something similar.  It still is pretty much a niche market here though, although a lot of the bigger retailers (Dick's, Sports Authority) have growing sections for soccerfootball.