Sunderland...

Heron

Guest Roger Kint

Midds I haven't seen him recently tbh and Roger we also have adebayor.

Didnt realise Togo were out of the ACN already actually, havent followed it. Unless you  are unaware he is African.....

Edit: They are banned arent they or am i imagining it?

Might be uninterested because he wants a move away though, that problem could potentially fix itself if they sign him.

Possibly, aye. :thup:

Still wouldn't want to take a chance on him like.

Guest sydneycove

Most of them have a fair point to be honest. Proper small time s*** from the Chron. :notatallshockedorsurprisedsmiley:

To be honest I got a laugh out of it but you should see what we get for journalism over here....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/rebecca-wilson-says-a-league-to-concerned-with-quick-fix-solutions/story-e6freyar-1226123146993

Most of them have a fair point to be honest. Proper small time s*** from the Chron. :notatallshockedorsurprisedsmiley:

To be honest I got a laugh out of it but you should see what we get for journalism over here....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/rebecca-wilson-says-a-league-to-concerned-with-quick-fix-solutions/story-e6freyar-1226123146993

Thought that article seemed alright til this:

"Kewell has played very little in recent seasons because of chronic leg injuries. He will be very lucky to make it on to the paddock for a full season with the Victory."

:lol:

Guest sydneycove

A bit of background to it as well:

She says "Yorke may have helped to fill the Sydney Football Stadium during his time here, but the moment he departed, the crowds deserted. Nothing was learnt from the Yorke experiment. Instead, Sydney wasted more time and money looking for another ageing star to temporarily fill the coffers."

Sydney's next big signing was juninho who was absolute class and our crowds didn't drop till last season when we were playing exactly how the Mackems played against Swansea.

"While most young kids are quitting the sport at the age of 10 or 11, nothing is being done to keep them in the game. Participation rates reach dizzy heights up until the boys hit double digits and then drop off dramatically when the other codes grab them with bigger, school-based competitions and a less elitist structure."

Football has the second biggest participation in Australia through all ages after netball (indoor and outdoor combined)

The woman is dispicable and just knocks football every week. Sometimes it helps to sleep with the papers editor I guess.

Sydney- think she's mostly on the mark. I'm not sure that there is any quick-fix answer for the A-league (and personally not sure if I want one). Football support (whatever the code) is a tribal thing. I've been to a few Brisbane Roar games, and while it was fun there was nothing there that was going to grab me back. And I look around at the crowd, and I think the same probably applies to most of them as well. We've already got our own allegiances- whether they be the Broncos, the Sharks, the Magpies or whoever. A couple of marquee signings here and there aren't going to shake that, developing a viable football competition will take years if not decades.

Guest sydneycove

Sydney- think she's mostly on the mark. I'm not sure that there is any quick-fix answer for the A-league (and personally not sure if I want one). Football support (whatever the code) is a tribal thing. I've been to a few Brisbane Roar games, and while it was fun there was nothing there that was going to grab me back. And I look around at the crowd, and I think the same probably applies to most of them as well. We've already got our own allegiances- whether they be the Broncos, the Sharks, the Magpies or whoever. A couple of marquee signings here and there aren't going to shake that, developing a viable football competition will take years if not decades.

To be fair Kewell is arguablly the biggest sporting name in Australia if not the biggest he would be close behind Lockyer and Ablett Jr and way ahead of Patty Mills and Emmo is hardly past it still an EPL standard player. The A-League can draw crowds as well see Sydney v Melbourne Valentines Day 2010, Brisbane Roar GF, Tards v Pissants. Melbourne Victory still have 20 000 members and Jets have just cracked 10 000 so the league is on its way forwards.

Also Rugby League is boring :p

Agree on your last sentence 100%, hate the fucking game.

As to Kewell, yeah sure people might go to watch the odd game but it'll be of novelty value only. And compare to the effect that Ablett has had on the Gold Coast- people still turn up to watch Collingwood play up here, not to watch Ablett play. It's the teams that matter long-term, not the individuals. Particularly in Melbourne, where the locals already have loyalty to an AFL club (can't really comment on rugby league in Sydney) it will take a lot longer to truly take off. There's a reason the A-league isn't played in winter, and it's because the FFA just doesn't have the confidence to run against the AFL in the southern states.

Guest sydneycove

Agree on your last sentence 100%, hate the f***ing game.

As to Kewell, yeah sure people might go to watch the odd game but it'll be of novelty value only. And compare to the effect that Ablett has had on the Gold Coast- people still turn up to watch Collingwood play up here, not to watch Ablett play. It's the teams that matter long-term, not the individuals. Particularly in Melbourne, where the locals already have loyalty to an AFL club (can't really comment on rugby league in Sydney) it will take a lot longer to truly take off. There's a reason the A-league isn't played in winter, and it's because the FFA just doesn't have the confidence to run against the AFL in the southern states.

Of course not football is ad quite possibly never will be able to take on the AFL. AFL has long family ties and is a huge spectator sport (not so good on TV) and with the money it has and the fact it doesn't shoot itself in the foot like NRL the AFL is going to be the number one domestic sport for many many years yet.

Give it 10 - 20 years however and League is going to lose out in Western Sydney. As soon as the AFL team gets going and when an A-League team gets going in Western Sydney it is basically going to be the death of the Tigers and Eels they have no money as it is.

As long as the leagues around I will support it and hope football grows bigger in this country.

Strewth, what's going on in here, you dags?

Fair dinkum got carried away cobber.

Anyway, back on topic, the only mackem I've ever met (who admitted to it) was on a night out in Newcastle. He was a wanker and had rank breath. And I've never seen one in Brisbane, let alone Milan. And Sunderland doesn't exist, according to Lonely Planet.

Guest sydneycove

Ive seen 1 mackem. Was at Maccas on a Friday night after a heap of booze. Was a week after we beat them 5 - 1. Had my NUFC jersey on he tried to start a punch on  :mackems:

Guest sydneycove

Ive seen 1 mackem. Was at Maccas on a Friday night after a heap of booze. Was a week after we beat them 5 - 1. Had my NUFC jersey on he tried to start a punch on  :mackems:

which part of Sydney are you in?

Hills District

Guest sydneycove

@ sydneycove

not been up that way, although I do head out to Penrith for the odd weekend bash.

Nothing to do in the Hills and no public transport. Fairly boring area. Too many snobby rich fuckers but at least the spoilt girls are good looking and put out.