FA Coaching Badges

Ash

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yeah, but do they need positional sense when they're 7?

I know if you're going to have competitive games then you need a semblance of a formation, but it can't be a good way to develop players - how can you know if a player is a defender or forward at that age?

I don't mean it in the strictest sense, more like, if you have your 'defender' and he's on the only one back and standing on the sideline looking at the trees.

I know if you're going to have competitive games then you need a semblance of a formation, but it can't be a good way to develop players - how can you know if a player is a defender or forward at that age?

I don't mean it in the strictest sense, more like, if you have your 'defender' and he's on the only one back and standing on the sideline looking at the trees.

Ah right, I admit that is necessary!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ah right, I admit that is necessary!

:lol:

Aye. Have to admit, its funny coaching u8's, it can be a struggle at times, but you learn so much more about yourself and as a coach then you do coaching older age groups. Agree with what you say about not really having positions that young. Tend to start people in a 'position', but since its rolling subs, and they're young, tend to change it 4-5 times a game, and everyone gets a chance to play everywhere.

Wouldn't be right to stifle a young player's development by pigeon holing them into a position that young. Besides - how can I implement 'Total Football' if they can't play in every position!

In the few games I've had the u8's its interesting to see that some of the players seem to naturally prefer to play in certain positions, and others seem to have a natural 'gift' to play in others. There's a lad in the team who can always find the space and is available for passing, another who'll always hang on the last defender (even though there's no offsides).

Looking forward to taking 'This Group of Lads' through the different ages and helping them develop as footballers. Some good players.

I meant to post about this ages ago after I had my support day for level 3.

The FA has the UEFA B course back from first for sport so the level 3 won't exist anymore after this year. From next year the FA will be running the UEFA B courses again, with the course time increasing from 90 hours to 120 hours. Local FA's will no longer be running a course each, instead a venue will be chosen within a region!

It's looking like the FA are trying to be more selective on who does the course, the price is going to be around £500 as well. But that has not been totally confirmed yet.

So much for wanting more coaches to be qualified at UEFA B level! This then puts more pressure on those coaches who have done the current course (myself included) to get it completed in time.

Man, that's a bit pants like. Wonder how long that'll last? Chances are it's a knee jerk reaction to the media's shouting after the World Cup.

Not really sure to be honest. It's like the FA's way of saying jobs for the boys again really. Aiming more at the ex-pros or players who didn't quite make it, rather than your average person getting into coaching.

It's not very good news for the people doing level 2 now as it's going to make progessing onto the level 3 even more difficult. Especially as at the moment you would have the chance to go along and see the course with Durham/Northumberland FA whereas from next year chances are they won't get the course. Sheffield is in the North East area as well so could mean big travelling for at least 3 weeks to do the course.

I'm waiting at the moment for the dates to be released for the next lot of Youth Modules, as missed out on doing the first 2 this year!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The FA will just see more young 'normal' coaches going abroad to get work if that's the case, which sort of already happens.

Yeah that is very true! Been there done that myself. Have been thinking about it again but to be honest I want to coach here.

Watched U12 11-a-side boys game on Sunday and I was very impressed with the standard. Been a while since I've seen a boys game with mainly working with girls at the moment.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Suppose its about networking really. Could have all the badges going, but it'd be pointless unless you 'know' someone, which has been mentioned a lot so far on this Sports Science course.

Yeah that is very very true. Football is a very small world and most people do know each other. I've got quite a broad network now with the different teams I have coached and played for over the years. Of course with my Uni course as well.

Where are you doing your course again?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yeah that is very very true. Football is a very small world and most people do know each other. I've got quite a broad network now with the different teams I have coached and played for over the years. Of course with my Uni course as well.

Ended up at Newcastle College in the end, but its good. Keith Douglas seems to have connections, hopefully he'll share them!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Its affiliated with Leeds Met, so I can stay at Newcastle College and the degree will be from Leeds Met. Or I can find a Uni to finish at.

Ended up at Newcastle College in the end, but its good. Keith Douglas seems to have connections, hopefully he'll share them!

I'm applying for that course in NC for next year, mate. Is it good? I've spoken to and met Keith in person- lovely bloke and very helpful. How's it going for you so far, mate?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm applying for that course in NC for next year, mate. Is it good? I've spoken to and met Keith in person- lovely bloke and very helpful. How's it going for you so far, mate?

I'd recommend it. Keith Douglas is a top bloke, great tutor (even if he does support Sunderland).

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend it. Keith Douglas is a top bloke, great tutor (even if he does support Sunderland).

Cheers, mate. Appreciate that. Yeah, I've spoken to and met Keith and he's a top bloke who makes time for you.

Have you done your placement with the Newcastle United Foundation yet, Chris?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Looks like Caz hit the nail on the head:

Level 3 Licence in Coaching Football (UEFA B Licence)

The Level 3 Licence in Coaching Football (UEFA B Licence) is now being delivered regionally. The provisional dates for 2011 can now be seen in the related documents section of this page.

The course is now being administered by FA Learning rather than the County FA and as such initial enquiries should be made to our Regional Coach Development Manager at the following email address:

[email protected]

or register your interest at:

http://eventspace.thefa.com/FALearning/participant/arrangement.aspx?id=17914

PLEASE NOTE: Candidates must ensure that they are available to attend EVERY date on the course prior to making an enquiry/application for a place on either of the courses listed in the related documents section.

Doesn't format correctly on here, but the page with the document is here: http://www.northumberlandfa.com/Development/CoachEducation/Level3/

Bunch of dates, all at York College though.

So you'll be spending a week in York to do your Level 3, suppose it isn't too far to travel, but still.

Cheers Chris. Going by that, I think I'll be starting mine in 2012, providing I pass my Level 2 (planning on doing it with yourself and Joel in March :thup:). Doing my Level 1 over a week February so I'm hoping they won't have a problem with me starting the Level 2 in March.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You don't really need to have done your Level 1 to do Level 2 to be honest. You can do your Level 2 as first course, but I think you need the 1st Aid and Child Safety bits (which Level 1 give you or you can do separately).

You don't really need to have done your Level 1 to do Level 2 to be honest. You can do your Level 2 as first course, but I think you need the 1st Aid and Child Safety bits (which Level 1 give you or you can do separately).

Tempted to do it anyway to be honest, just for the experience and to pick up a few extra things.

Just noticed this on the Level 2 entry requirements too:

• Hold the Level 1 Certificate in Coaching Football with additional 16 hours logged coaching

:dontknow:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Oh.  :lol:

Must have changed. When I asked in the Summer they said I could do Level 2 straight away if I had been coaching a team, but they recommend people to do Level 1 anyway.  :-[

Reading back through this thread and I notice your doing the same course as me at Newcastle College Chris. What year are you on? I've just started the 3rd back in September.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Reading back through this thread and I notice your doing the same course as me at Newcastle College Chris. What year are you on? I've just started the 3rd back in September.

1st Year. I'm a mature student.  :smug: Thought I was going to be the oldest, but this other guy sometimes shows up with his International Football Caps.