FA Coaching Badges

Ash

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ah, nice, perhaps will cross paths in the future! What does he mean by check background? Level of success coaching at grassroots?

Yeah I have a big list of different topics, in the defending and attacking areas which it could be for the final assessment.

Good luck, Caz!  :clap2:

Seconded.

What are you wanting to do if and when you get your level 3?

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated on the progress and different things to do with the course.

For the coming season I am going to be coaching an U16 boys team.

I would love to say my aim is to be able to get into an academy and coach, but I think being female will hinder my chances for that.

Yeah I have a big list of different topics, in the defending and attacking areas which it could be for the final assessment.

Seconded.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated on the progress and different things to do with the course.

I would love to say my aim is to be able to get into an academy and coach, but I think being female will hinder my chances for that.

I don't think it would actually as there is a big push on female coaches, most only do their level 1 so already achieving a level 2 will stand you in good stead. I was looking at that ussoccercoaching website and am very interested in it. I would love to do a level 3, but will see how things go as I'm only 20 so plenty of time.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Seconded.

As Robbo said, I actually think you're in a better position then us blokes to get a job. Women's Football is really picking up steam, and I can only imagine how much they'd prefer to have female coaches coaching the teams. My Girlfriend's Sisters play for Falkirk Women's Team, I'll ask if they have proper coaches or if they know anyone that is looking for to hire a coach and get back if you like?

EDIT:

Reet, I'm off to for my final Level 1 Assessment!

That's a good point Robbo, but it is starting to become a grey area really. As everyone seems to say female coaches are being pushed, but I have been struggling to get a full time job in sport.

Good Luck with your level 1 Chris, I am sure you will fly through it :-). That would be good if you could find out the set up for Falkirk!

Ah, nice, perhaps will cross paths in the future! What does he mean by check background? Level of success coaching at grassroots?

Erm no not like that. I asekd that question to him as well, and he said like obviously CRB and stuff but also if they beleive you'd be a good role model etc.

Seems fair enough IMO

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Erm no not like that. I asekd that question to him as well, and he said like obviously CRB and stuff but also if they beleive you'd be a good role model etc.

Seems fair enough IMO

Ah right, sensible stuff. Suppose it would only look bad if they hired a dole munching drug dealer into their Academy!

And on a side note: Passed Level 1  :thup: Have to wait 2 months for all the certificates and paperwork though.  :harry: Should find out in a month if I'm going to Uni for Sports Science/Coaching Course too. Desperate to make a career out of this, even if its over in the States teaching 'Soccerball'  :smitten:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Nice one Chris, are you going straight into level 2?

I have a Sport Science degree too. Which Uni are you possibly going to?

Newcastle, Sunderland or Norhumbria all run the same course (which is validated by Leeds Met.), should find out at the end of the month. It can only help towards getting a job coaching. I'll have to wait for all the paper work to come back, and will probably want to do 2-3 months coaching my team before doing Level 2, but I'll be doing it. Only had 1 AP on the sheet, which was basically level 2 stuff (I think).

Personal/Individual coaching within the session for people of different abilities. Having a word with the weaker players and taking them through the motions whilst the rest doing what I've asked. Or setting challenges to the more gifted players (use your other foot, or see if you can do this).

At least I know who to come to for advice if I can get on the Sports Science/Coaching course!

Nice one Chris, are you going straight into level 2?

I have a Sport Science degree too. Which Uni are you possibly going to?

Newcastle, Sunderland or Norhumbria all run the same course (which is validated by Leeds Met.), should find out at the end of the month. It can only help towards getting a job coaching. I'll have to wait for all the paper work to come back, and will probably want to do 2-3 months coaching my team before doing Level 2, but I'll be doing it. Only had 1 AP on the sheet, which was basically level 2 stuff (I think).

Personal/Individual coaching within the session for people of different abilities. Having a word with the weaker players and taking them through the motions whilst the rest doing what I've asked. Or setting challenges to the more gifted players (use your other foot, or see if you can do this).

At least I know who to come to for advice if I can get on the Sports Science/Coaching course!

What Sport Science course you looking to do? And i forgot to add the young bloke who coaches at Newcastle is originally from Sheffield and he went to Northumbria Uni and did a sports science course there and after a couple of years got the job at the academy.

He only did his level 1 at Uni because it was part of the course. So in reality your a couple of steps ahead of him.

Basically Chris this is exactly the same sort of route i want to do and when i heard his story it made me think if he can do it so can i! :)

Everyone seems to have given a back drop to how they see themselves going etc so Ill give a little bit about myself.

I did my level 1 in October 2007 as I started my Sport Science with Coaching degree at Northumbria in the same year and thought it would be useful to have. I have finished my degree now and while it has been useful in parts, I think my placement was the best thing I ever did. From my placement I have achieved a great deal...I'm not just qualified as a football coach, but thats how I see myself progressing. The degree is useful to have, but from a practical coaching perspective I didn't learn a great deal. You learn theories of coaching, types of coaching etc but not really how to deal with kids, it was almost false since everything was the 'ideal' situation as you learned. I have the basis of psychology and physiology so that will hopefully prove useful. I've found job wise and from other people that if you have experience in that field that seems to go a long way rather than just coming out of university and having a degree.

As for the future I will stick at my current multi sports coach job and get a few more qualifications before stepping up to a level 3. I plan on going to the USA at some stage as well before I settle down into a job which could combine my knowledge of sport science and skills from practical coaching. I'm going to be helping out with an U16 boys club team when I get time as a favour since they let me use the team to get my level 2 sessions done. With a level 3 there might be the chance to look into the academy, but with the constant restructuring it would be anyones guess.

Craig

He's not the Academy Keeper coach is he? Chris T from Sheffield is the only info I have for him.

Here's the course: http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=CourseDetail&code=UUFASC3COA

Nope Liam Bramley

U12 coach

And Craig that sounds really interesting. What degree did you take? Sport Science Psychology?

I took Applied Sport Science with Coaching. It was an interesting course, but the coaching modules left a lot to be desired after I was out and about gaining practical experience. It will give you insight into humanistic or holistic approaches and you do have to complete pratcialy coaching session for the assessments. I chose to continue physiology and psychology and dropped biomechanics in the second year.

Would you recommend the course or do you think taking a course solely on psychology? Because thats the cuorse Chris pointed out and it seemed quite interesting to me. Cheers

Would you recommend the course or do you think taking a course solely on psychology? Because thats the cuorse Chris pointed out and it seemed quite interesting to me. Cheers

I would recommend it, more so than solely psychology. There is a fair bit of work involved, but if your keen you should be fine. The workload can be tricky, but I'm hoping it will stand me in good stead for the future. However, do continue to learn your coaching techniques in a practical environment as the coaching element of the course was a bit if a let down and rather easy.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Cheers, Craig, sounds like its worthwhile taking after all (I was in two minds). Everything I've read/been told so far suggested that having a sports related degree can only help getting a job in coaching - I hope its true.

Guest Antigalican

When I was at uni decades ago I did Pshychology, and one of the perenial questions back then was "is Psychology a science? Discuss"

That actually used to regularly appear on exam papers at degree level. Not only now does it appear that Psychology is a science, but sport is as well!

Sport isn't scientific, and never can be, primarily because most sports are affected or even depend on chaotic systems like weather. human movement, human error, physical injury etc etc.

You could do the same thing in sport 100 times and get a 100 different results, so the establishment of "science" ie.  hypothesis that stands the test of real, predictable outcomes is utterly nonsensical. Good luck though.

Cheers, Craig, sounds like its worthwhile taking after all (I was in two minds). Everything I've read/been told so far suggested that having a sports related degree can only help getting a job in coaching - I hope its true.

From my own personal experience a degree and coaching qualifications plus some experience will tick all the boxes. Although having said that another coach I work with hasn't got a degree, but has a wealth of qualifications and experience, however if he wants to progress he needs a degree (he is doing an open university foundation degree). It is useful to have, but not the be all and end all. Chris you said you wanted to go to America and I'm sure some of the better places would like you to have a degree or at least the ussoccercoaching link you posted earlier wanted one.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

From my own personal experience a degree and coaching qualifications plus some experience will tick all the boxes. Although having said that another coach I work with hasn't got a degree, but has a wealth of qualifications and experience, however if he wants to progress he needs a degree (he is doing an open university foundation degree). It is useful to have, but not the be all and end all. Chris you said you wanted to go to America and I'm sure some of the better places would like you to have a degree or at least the ussoccercoaching link you posted earlier wanted one.

I think that ussoccercoaching 'degree' requirement was for the American Alternative of the Coaching badges, to be honest I only had a quick look over the different camps available as its not something I'm planning on doing until next year, or the year after - depending on how the course goes. Was planning on doing coaching over the Spring/Summer Holidays, which just so happens to be when they US camps need the most coaches!

EDIT: Actually just looked into ussoccercoaching a little more and it would appear they want people to have a bachelors or something similar, so no harm it getting one!

When I was at uni decades ago I did Pshychology, and one of the perenial questions back then was "is Psychology a science? Discuss"

That actually used to regularly appear on exam papers at degree level. Not only now does it appear that Psychology is a science, but sport is as well!

Sport isn't scientific, and never can be, primarily because most sports are affected or even depend on chaotic systems like weather. human movement, human error, physical injury etc etc.

You could do the same thing in sport 100 times and get a 100 different results, so the establishment of "science" ie.  hypothesis that stands the test of real, predictable outcomes is utterly nonsensical. Good luck though.

I'm sure the 'Science' part us used loosely to describe it as the 'Art behind Coaching' if you like, though it does have psychology elements to it. Though, don't worry, if I graduate I won't be calling myself a Scientist or anything!

I done my degree at Sunderland Uni and graduated in 2008. Was a really good course as covered all different areas of sport. From coaching, psychology, biomechanics and physiology - doing loads of different modules within those areas. I used to relate all the different assignments to football as found that the easiest way to do it. Plus helped me remember more things for different exams if I could do it that way.

I find parts of it really do help towards coaching, as I have a very good background knowledge of fitness and exercise because of my degree.

Just wish I could get a full time job in sport!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Have you thought about doing Part-time for a Northern League club just to get your foot in the door and experience? I've already told myself that if I get to lvl3 thats when the real work will start, lots of knocking on doors and jamming my foot in  :lol: I asked about the Falkirk spot, but it seems they're fully staffed at the moment, I'll keep and ear out though and try to give you the heads up.  :thup:

There's some good stories in here. I hope you all get the opportunity to make something out of yourselves. The game over here is in need of as many qualified coaches as possible.

My aim/future ambitions pretty much mirror the ones of Chris and TheGuv. I'm looking to move to Newcastle College next year to do the Certificate in Higher Education (Football) and then move onto Applied Sports Science and Coaching. America's also been on my mind but first things first, eh?! :)

I live in Dublin and have completed the FAI Kick Start 1 and Kick Start 2 courses. KS1 is very, very basic....you can't fail it; full attendance is all that's needed. To be perfectly honest, it just teaches you a few fun games for the kids and basically how to avoid being branded a paedophile. It's only takes a day to complete (roughly 9am-4pm).

KS2 is quite a difference. Like KS1, full attendance is all thats needed to progress. Its for one weekend over 3 days (Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday till lunchtime) but is much more intense with a lot more information to take in and it actually teaches you how to teach the children the right techniques etc. Small sided games, ball skills, conditioning/warm ups and possession play is all taught whilst how to deal with players and their personal lifes etc.

You are assessed minorly- split into groups, given a certain topic to work on and each person demonstrates an exercise within it. It's not too hard tbh.

Not sure how it compares to the FA Level 2 course- that appears to be much more extensive and indepth.

In Ireland the coaching ladder is: Kick Start 1 -----> Kick Start 2 -----> Youth Certificate ------> UEFA 'B' -----> UEFA 'A' -----> Pro Licence

I'm planning to start helping out coaching the under 5's-under 7's at my local club for the next year and then hopefully move over to Newcastle and get some experience with a few teams whilst doing my course(s)! :) Fingers crossed.

how does this work in Europe out of interest?

given England's perpetual horribleness i'd love to know what the European's teach in their coaching schools...should probably be something the FA should look at, if they don't already, sending young coaches with potential abroad