Seeing football abroad

ChrisJbarnes

watched a few games in Europe, Paris SG,  Frankfurt, Roma and 1 or 2 others (even Urawa Reds, Japan and in Korea).....and the atmospheres have been cracking in most instances. Maybe a bit mental with the firecrackers, flares but that`s all part of it.

I don`t buy into all this "Premier League has the best atmosphere in the world".

Absolute tosh.

The atmospheres in the prem league are pretty boring in comparison tbh.

The Greeks and Turkish fans are mental it seems!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmbrvV3Y1hU

I went to see Ajax in a UEFA Cup group game in 2008, it was against MSK Zinila or somethig like that, same group as Aston Villa. It was a poor game and the stadium was less than half full, Ajax won 1-0 iirc.

Top 3 go to stadiums to watch games in that I want to go are:

Estadio Azteca

Westfallen Stadion

San Mames

Would like to go to the Maracana n all but aside from title deciders and Fla v Flu there its invariably two thirds empty. A mate of mine went to Flamengo v La U of Chile and it was a sub 15,000 crowd which would be like going to watch Gateshead.

Sorry to resurrect this. I've checked the fixtures, and it appears that Fenerbahce are playing a derby against Besiktas on the day I arrive! Can anyone speak from experience to advise me whether or not I have a chance of getting tickets, and if so would it be safe to attend?

Safe, you'll be grand. Just wear yellow and blue although you should be supporting Besiktas as they play in black and white.

Tickets, a quick google has led me to www.biletix.com via the Fenerbahce website. It could be worth just ringing the club closer to the time n all (depending on when you're going).

cheers. yeah found that ticket website, its just a case of actually getting them! have you been before do you mind me asking? The atmosphere im sure would be amazing, but ive seen youtube videos of riots between galatasaray and fenerbahce, and it might put me off.

Sorry to resurrect this. I've checked the fixtures, and it appears that Fenerbahce are playing a derby against Besiktas on the day I arrive! Can anyone speak from experience to advise me whether or not I have a chance of getting tickets, and if so would it be safe to attend?

Safe, you'll be grand. Just wear yellow and blue although you should be supporting Besiktas as they play in black and white.

Tickets, a quick google has led me to www.biletix.com via the Fenerbahce website. It could be worth just ringing the club closer to the time n all (depending on when you're going).

cheers. yeah found that ticket website, its just a case of actually getting them! have you been before do you mind me asking? The atmosphere im sure would be amazing, but ive seen youtube videos of riots between galatasaray and fenerbahce, and it might put me off.

Nah not at all, just a general rule of thumb. Just go with some seats on the side/away from the visiting fans and even it kicks off you'll be reet.

If I was rich I'd probably tour the World and take in a football match at every place I visited.

Most definitely.

Any one else jealous of the atmosphere that seems to be created at other countries ? I know i am after watching those two videos. Why can't we create an atmosphere like that ? Is it our culture ? Do we not care about football as much as they do ?

Any one else jealous of the atmosphere that seems to be created at other countries ? I know i am after watching those two videos. Why can't we create an atmosphere like that ? Is it our culture ? Do we not care about football as much as they do ?

Just a different way of supporting our teams. Players from abroad often say our (English) fans are more passionate than others. We go support our clubs and atmospheres invariably depend on this, while foreign fans go to support their club their atmospheres are more constant and often about getting one upmanship on having better displays than rival fans for example. Just because you have a few flares doesn't make you care more.

Using that top video as an example it was the Aris fan's proving to the Boca fans that they are their equal in creating an intimidating atmosphere etc.

What Disco's said is right, but I cant imagine it would be easy to find more passionate fans than the Argentinians. Their passion for their clubs and football in general is second to none, imo.

Also, the fact that in all other countries outside Britain your allowed to support your team the way your want- i.e standing, reasonable ticket prices etc- means that atmospheres are easier to create. Whereas in Britain prices for the top leagues are a rip-off whilst fans have next to no rights. We're not allowed to stand at matches, ffs. Its a joke trying to watch football over here.

I'm going slightly off topic now.... :lol:

Just a different way of supporting our teams. Players from abroad often say our (English) fans are more passionate than others. We go support our clubs and atmospheres invariably depend on this, while foreign fans go to support their club their atmospheres are more constant and often about getting one upmanship on having better displays than rival fans for example. Just because you have a few flares doesn't make you care more.

Using that top video as an example it was the Aris fan's proving to the Boca fans that they are their equal in creating an intimidating atmosphere etc.

Disco, you watched Boca in La Bombanera, right? How was it there?

btw, this canny interesting regarding Arg....pity Danny Dyer didn`t get his head kicked in but he was $hit scared :lol:

btw, this canny interesting regarding Arg....pity Danny Dyer didn`t get his head kicked in but he was $hit scared :lol:

Constant singing and noise from about an hour before the game started until we got let out after being kept behind at the end. Was better than at River I thought but i stood behind the goal at Boca (not the one with the proper mentals in like) while i sat on the side at River. It's just completely different, the number of different songs is staggering as well. La Bombonera wouldn't be allowed over here like. Would fail 1970s health and safety nevermind now, same at most Argie grounds looking at them.

Constant singing and noise from about an hour before the game started until we got let out after being kept behind at the end. Was better than at River I thought but i stood behind the goal at Boca (not the one with the proper mentals in like) while i sat on the side at River. It's just completely different, the number of different songs is staggering as well. La Bombonera wouldn't be allowed over here like. Would fail 1970s health and safety nevermind now, same at most Argie grounds looking at them.

The Gimnasia lot mentioned at the start are a nasty bunch like. It was raining spit and piss when I was at Boca as they were in the 3rd tier above where i was.