New Premier League squad rules explained

Thespence

These articles may have been posted elsewhere but here are the new rules explained from the BBC & Premier League.

In and around this year's usual summer transfer gossip, you may have noticed the mention of 25-man squads and home-grown player quotas.

The 2010-11 Premier League season will see top flight clubs forced to comply with rules over the size and make-up of their squads.

The Premier League says the new rules are designed to increase the number of young 'home-grown' players in the Premier League, with a long-term aim of giving more options to the England manager.

But what will they actually mean in practice. BBC Sport explains the key points of the new system:

- Clubs register a squad of up to 25 players, which must include at least eight 'home-grown' players, at the end of each transfer window.

- Home-grown players do not have to be English; home-grown players are defined as those who "irrespective of nationality or age, have been affiliated to the FA or Welsh FA for a period of three seasons or 36 months prior to 21st birthday"

- Clubs can supplement squad with unlimited number of players under the age of 21.

- Changes can be made only during transfer windows, although in exceptional circumstances (eg goalkeeping injury crisis) moves could be allowed.

- Players loaned to Football League clubs cannot be replaced, but can regain their spot on return to parent club.

- Rules apply only to Premier League matches, not European, FA Cup or League Cup action.

- First deadline is 1700 BST on 1 September (24 hours after end of August transfer window).

From the BBC

Home Grown Player rules

A home grown player is defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Welsh Football Association for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

For the purposes of this rule, the season is deemed to run from the date the first transfer window closes until the final match of the campaign.

In keeping with UEFA guidelines, an Under 21 player is defined as one who is under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences. For the 2010/11 campaign Under 21 players will have been born on or after 1st January 1989.

exceptional circumstances

The 25-man squads must be submitted to the Premier League by 5pm on the day following the close of each transfer window. For the 2010/11 season the first window will close at 6pm on 31st August and final squads must be registered by 5pm on 1st September. Before then Clubs will not be required to name their squads and may select their teams from any registered players.

While the transfer windows are open, clubs may change their squads as many times as they want. However they will only be able to make alterations outside the windows if there are exceptional circumstances and the changes are approved by the Premier League board.

For example, if a club has two out of three goalkeepers injured they may be permitted to bring in a replacement under the guidelines drawn up by a specially formed working party.

Players in the 25-man squads who go out on loan to Football League clubs may not be replaced. However they may reclaim their place on their return.

Clubs do not have to name a full squad of 25 if they do not have that many contracted players and in this instance they may add free agents outside the transfer window. However if they have 25 eligible contracted players, they must be named.

Similarly, clubs do not have to name eight home grown players if they do not have that many but that would mean operating with a reduced squad.

The system will be simple enough to administer. Clubs will register their players via an online form which automatically flags up if they have named too many players who do not qualify as Home-Grown.

From the Premier League

Guest Geordiesned

I think his career could well be over regardless. He's been out for over a year, has tried treatments in Australia and America but is still nowhere near kicking a football.

Just read that this will most likely end Woodgate's Spurs career.

can't see how.

"I couldn't put Woody in my 25," Redknapp said. "It's impossible at the moment.

"You can't have somebody in who's never going to play, if he's not going to be fit."

Ay

can't see how.

I couldn't put Woody in my 25," Redknapp said. "It's impossible at the moment.

"You can't have somebody in who's never going to play, if he's not going to be fit.

doesn't that just mean he's nowhere near the first 25 due to injury and if he recovers then he'd be back or shipped on ? he's been out best part of a year anyway so its unlikely he'd feature till the next transfer window anyway.

Guest neesy111

can't see how.

"You can't have somebody in who's never going to play, if he's not going to be fit."

That could apply to others such as:

Kieron Dyer, Owen Hargreaves,

can't see how.

That could apply to others such as:

Kieron Dyer, Owen Hargreaves,

redknapps second sentence is the crux..........the 25 man squad matters nowt if that is  the case.

I think clubs will be in panic with the squad thing until it settles down. Arry is probably thinking he cant have King & Woodgate filling up a slot each as they get knackered often. So it is more than likely Woody will be moved on or let go as soon he can kick a ball again.

I think clubs will be in panic with the squad thing until it settles down. Arry is probably thinking he cant have King & Woodgate filling up a slot each as they get knackered often. So it is more than likely Woody will be moved on or let go as soon he can kick a ball again.

could be a long long time.

shame in a way as he was the dest centre half i've seen play for us in my time.

can't see how.

Are you mental?

so if he regains fitness before his contract ends his career at spurs is over  because of the 25 man rule ? i don't see it, his career at spurs may well be over but that is down tio injury and little to do with the 25 man rule.

I want to see Man city's cut list we can get a good two or three player from them if we wait til then

You would imagine they going to keep most of the touted dump list as the vast majority are going to be there HG players. But aye it wouldn't hurt to have Sir Les sitting in his chopper around the Manchester area ready to whisk someone to tyneside on TDD.

We might benefit if, come the end of the window, players like Hargreaves/Ferreira/Ireland/Wright-Phillips etc. are forced out. There'll be a right panic at certain clubs and these players couldn't afford to be picky. Think that would only affect a few clubs though.

We might benefit if, come the end of the window, players like Hargreaves/Ferreira/Ireland/Wright-Phillips etc. are forced out. There'll be a right panic at certain clubs and these players couldn't afford to be picky. Think that would only affect a few clubs though.

players still hold the trump card. being under contract they will still be dictating any moves (ie those players can't be "forced out"). clubs can't simply get rid and because of this the full effects wont be understood for a few seasons yet.

What makes you think they'll let it get to a stage where a panic ensues, increasing our likelihood of getting them? I'd imagine players of the like you mention will simply move on as normal. There might be some dregs left by the end but then why would we want them?

players still hold the trump card. being under contract they will still be dictating any moves (ie those players can't be "forced out"). clubs can't simply get rid and because of this the full effects wont be understood for a few seasons yet.

If they're not going to be named in the 25 though they may want to leave. That's effectively a club forcing them out because only the biggest wankers are happy to pick up wages and not even be able to make the bench.

If they're not going to be named in the 25 though they may want to leave. That's effectively a club forcing them out because only the biggest wankers are happy to pick up wages and not even be able to make the bench.

i dont even see how that makes sense. they may want to leave but the club are forcing them out yet they know they could stay if they wanted ?

i dont even see how that makes sense. they may want to leave but the club are forcing them out yet they know they could stay if they wanted ?

If the club tells a player (who wants to stay) that he will not feature in the 25 - and therefore not be able to play a single minute of Premier League football until January(?) at the earliest - then he change his mind and want to leave.

It's not them being definitively forced out by the club I guess, but like I say I can't see too many players that don't have long-term injuries wanting to stay at a club in that instance.

If the club tells a player (who wants to stay) that he will not feature in the 25 - and therefore not be able to play a single minute of Premier League football until January(?) at the earliest - then he change his mind and want to leave.

take away the 25 man rule.....how many players would stick around to get a single game in that time, very few. this rule is good for the game but its effects wont be felt for a few years yet.