La Liga - 10/11

Neil
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Also who was the former player that died, there was a minute silence at the Mallorca game.

Marañón, one of the surviving players from the "Barça de les 5 Copes" ("Barça of the five cups") of the 1950s, the team that was considered Barça's finest up until the treble season (when we won six). It's the squad that got the Camp Nou built (since people would flood our old stadium to see them play).

Guest neesy111

It's the second sport in Spain. Light years behind football, but still very solid support. My bro works as a basketball journo.

Yeah well aren't regal the current league and cup holders as well.  It was an impressive win for them depsite not playing the Lakers 1st team.  Are you a fan of all the teams coming under into this sporting club of Barcelona ???

We tried it at Newcastle in the 90's, and it ended up not working although it has worked out for the BB team though.

Guest neesy111

Also who was the former player that died, there was a minute silence at the Mallorca game.

Marañón, one of the surviving players from the "Barça de les 5 Copes" ("Barça of the five cups") of the 1950s, the team that was considered Barça's finest up until the treble season (when we won six). It's the squad that got the Camp Nou built (since people would flood our old stadium to see them play).

Interesting, because I thought under the dictatorship Barca struggled to have a period of success.

It's the second sport in Spain. Light years behind football, but still very solid support. My bro works as a basketball journo.

Yeah well aren't regal the current league and cup holders as well.  It was an impressive win for them depsite not playing the Lakers 1st team.  Are you a fan of all the teams coming under into this sporting club of Barcelona ???

We tried it at Newcastle in the 90's, and it ended up not working although it has worked out for the BB team though.

Actually, basketball is the only sport where I don't support FC Barcelona. My great-uncle was one of the founders of Joventut de Badalona (a town next to Barcelona). My mother thus supported them so I took my football tastes from dad, but my basketball tastes from mom. Sometimes it's weird since they are arch-rivals.

Interesting, because I thought under the dictatorship Barca struggled to have a period of success.

In the 1940s and from the 1960s onward, we did. But in the 1950s we were awesome man. We piped the 6 EC-conquering Madrid often to the domestic title (they defended the EC as holders), plus several Fairs Cups wins and other semi-official continental stuff. It's a foundational moment for our club, the days everybody looked back to until Cruyff came. Dad always was telling me stories of that team.

Thing is on those years Spain received an influx of Hungarian players and managers fleeing from Communism, which mostly went to Real and Barça (Puskas, Czibor, Kocsis, Kubala...), they brought the "Magical Hungarians" football with them, which became a HUGE influence in Spanish football from then onwards (both Barça and Madrid were hugely successful home and abroad during these years).

And feel free to ask, I love talking about Barcelona and football.

Guest neesy111

Is it when Cryuff joined and his comment about not joining Madrid due to their relationship with Franco, that started the Dutch connection with Barca?

Is it when Cryuff joined and his comment about not joining Madrid due to their relationship with Franco, that started the Dutch connection with Barca?

Yeah, he was always very vocal against the dictatorship, but he was a football superstar so the authorities had to grind their teeth. Of course that endeared us to him. The football too :D

From that time on we mirrored us on the Oranje (Rinus Michels was our manager), hence our addiction to Dutch football players and our common orange away shirts.

Guest neesy111

Yeah, he was always very vocal against the dictatorship, but he was a football superstar so the authorities had to grind their teeth. Of course that endeared us to him. The football too :D

I still can't believe you's hadn't won the European Cup until 1992, considering the players you've had in your team etc.

Also was interesting to see the amount of Tourists that attended Camp Nou during our game, shows that the football team really is a huge asset for attracting people to the city.

I still can't believe you's hadn't won the European Cup until 1992, considering the players you've had in your team etc.

Also was interesting to see the amount of Tourists that attended Camp Nou during our game, shows that the football team really is a huge asset for attracting people to the city.

Barça museum is the most visited museum in the city...

The European Cup drought is mostly due to the fact that we only won the league five times (IIRC) since the trophy was instituted properly until we won in 1992. Since that included most of our trophy drought period of 1963-1989. And we managed two finals. The old format was very hard to qualify for, when you think of it.

Also, I don't feel comfortable spamming the football board with politics, but I'll gladly talk about the issue on the non-football one.

No problem.  I've only got football questions to ask now apart from this, is their an American connection to Barcelona just so many american tourists there ??? (I now know of the English Connection btw)

There isn't a connection, it's just that it's a damn popular destination. Spain is the second most visited country in the world and Barcelona the most popular city in it.

Gotta say Madrid is a damn fine place too.

The English connection I suppose you mean the cross of Saint George?

Aye Madrid is on my hitlist of places to go in the next couple of years. Fancy taking in an Atleti game. Shame my two favourite clubs in Spain (Atleti and Atheltic) play in the devils colours though.

They took them from Southampton FC, no Sunderland relation so you can feel fine.

Atlético used to be Athletic's B team so that's why they share name and colors.

Its the colours not the history, only red/white team I can tolerate is PSV due to the links we have with them - Sir Bob and countless European games.

Guest neesy111

Barça museum is the most visited museum in the city...

The European Cup drought is mostly due to the fact that we only won the league five times (IIRC) since the trophy was instituted properly until we won in 1992. Since that included most of our trophy drought period of 1963-1989. And we managed two finals. The old format was very hard to qualify for, when you think of it.

IMO the champions league is flawed as a name, as a team who has never won their domestic league can still become winners of the Champions League.

Yeah I've always believed Barca are a bigger club than Madrid worldwide, and our the biggest in the world.  I'm sure if you's did a shirt sponsor you income would top Madrid's.  I see the Stadium regeneration plans have been postponed due to your financial situation which is a shame.

To be frank, I consider it a blessing in disguise. It was awfully ugly. The Camp Nou does show its age, though.

I hope we can keep the non-commercial sponsor thing. Is a silly thing since we sell out to anybody everywhere else, but it still makes me feel proud.

Guest neesy111

To be frank, I consider it a blessing in disguise. It was awfully ugly. The Camp Nou does show its age, though.

The front of the stadium is nice, but the concrete around the other 3 sides does show it's age.  Hence why I prefer the Bernbau as a stadium.

I hope we can keep the non-commercial sponsor thing. Is a silly thing since we sell out to anybody everywhere else, but it still makes me feel proud.

Noticed Athletic have a sponsor these days. Shame.

Happened a couple seasons ago I think. A shame indeed, but money calls...

Still can't get over San Mamés getting torn down.

Guest neesy111

Great Football Stadium, my Uncle said his favorite time of the 1982 World Cup (he went to the whole tournament) was in Bilbao.  Any reason for a new stadium btw.

Great Football Stadium, my Uncle said his favorite time of the 1982 World Cup (he went to the whole tournament) was in Bilbao.  Any reason for a new stadium btw.

The Bilbao city council wants to rebuild that area of the city extensively (it does need some rebuilding indeed) and San Mamés is sort on the way. That's the official excuse though, if there's some political favors/real state speculation involved I don't dare say. They are going to rebuild it just a few yards away from the current site which is a bit puzzling.

San Mamés is old, but it's a piece of history of football in this country and it's a shame that's going to be lost. Most Athletic fans I know abhor the idea.

Guest neesy111

Well there is a number of team recently moved or planning to move to new stadiums ???

Valencia have a half built stadium, Aletico from what I recall have been thinking of building a new stadium for quite a few years, Espanyol have there new stadium now (seen it, looked quite nice).

Well there is a number of team recently moved or planning to move to new stadiums ???

Valencia have a half built stadium, Aletico from what I recall have been thinking of building a new stadium for quite a few years, Espanyol have there new stadium now (seen it, looked quite nice).

Well those teams have great need of their new stadiums. Valencia have to sell Mestalla and move or they'll fold, Espanyol didn't even have a stadium (our favorite quip against them), and Atlético's stadium is sitting directly over Madrid's most congested road, which the city council wants to expand to avoid the hour plus jams during rush hour (hated those when I lived there).

http://futboldeseleccion.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/atletico-de-madrid.jpg

Guest neesy111

Well those teams have great need of their new stadiums. Valencia have to sell Mestalla and move or they'll fold, Espanyol didn't even have a stadium (our favorite quip against them), and Atlético's stadium is sitting directly over Madrid's most congested road, which the city council wants to expand to avoid the hour plus jams during rush hour (hated those when I lived there).

Valencia can't sell the Mestalla due to the collapse in the real estate market, is that correct?

Guest neesy111

Wow, didn't know a massive road went underneath the main stand.  I'm sure they were thinking of building a new stadium in the 90's is that correct?

Guest neesy111

And what's worse, they can't pay for the work of Nou Mestalla to proceed which has been half-built for almost two years and it's starting to decay.

Didn't they used to be owned by two families who used to argue over the direction of the club etc. ???

Wow, didn't know a massive road went underneath the main stand.  I'm sure they were thinking of building a new stadium in the 90's is that correct?

Yes. They'll move to what was going to be Madrid's Olympic stadium.