La Liga - 10/11

Neil
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Feel sorry for Real Mallorca. After a brilliant season last year, have been kicked out of the Europa League for going into administration.

I just remember dicking them home and away in the Uefa Cup and loving it. Went to the home leg, Eto'o scored I think but was shocking the rest of the game. We went on to win 4-1 and then 3-0 away.

So you see what preseason is really about: Messi has been forced to play today against a K-League team even though Guardiola had first said that he just wasn't ready yet (he's been training for just a couple days). The reason? A contract that states that Messi has to at least play 30min or Barça won't receive €2m for the friendly.

My friend's going to see that match. Was gutted when word got out that Messi wasn't going to play but that's cheered her up.

So you see what preseason is really about: Messi has been forced to play today against a K-League team even though Guardiola had first said that he just wasn't ready yet (he's been training for just a couple days). The reason? A contract that states that Messi has to at least play 30min or Barça won't receive €2m for the friendly.

My friend's going to see that match. Was gutted when word got out that Messi wasn't going to play but that's cheered her up.

Well, he's just came in.

EDIT: And scored, your friend must be happy.

EDIT2: A brace now.

Busquets played every minute of the World Cup for Spain and he's cemented his position in the best club team in the world. Says it all tbh.

That attests only to the fact that he played every minute of the WC and cemented his position at Barca but no more than that - footballing history is brimming with players who have retained their position at successful clubs without being anywhere near the best in the world in their respective positions. Why they retain these positions varies from person to person and club to club, sometimes it's because they're well suited to a system, sometimes it's because they're chummy with the boss, sometimes it's because though they're not the best they'll suffice etc....

I don't know if he'd be as influential at a smaller club but for the specific role he plays at Barca, he's absolutely spot on.

That seems to suggest there is no room for improvement, and I'd contend there is. Whilst generally, his composure is decent - he can lack the requisite bite required in the centre of the park and has a tendency to becoming flustered/ineffective if heavily pressured.

Not the strongest, not an archetypal physical defensive midfielder - but he's got a good passing range, is deceptively skillful, keeps things simple, allows others to get on with playing the game. More importantly though he's far more disciplined than Toure, and I think that's why Pep ultimately prefered him. Without sounding quite as pejorative as this will inevitably sound, but you could have just as easily have described Jermaine Jenas just then. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's an abomination of a player unfit to play football professionally or anything, but I don't think he is individually deserving of WC, Euro 2008 and CL medals! On a less waggish note, I think Barca could certainly improve upon him. Oh, and obviously he's a particularly unclassy cheat.

Looks like the Hércules case is going to be dismissed.

Hércules president was tapped admitting to bribing rivals to ensure his team's promotion to First division while being investigated for real estate fraud. The judge investigating the case says he won't send the tapes to our sporting authorities since the tapping was only authorized in regards to the real estate case.

He also says that match fixing isn't tyipfied as an offence in our laws (this was changed but won't take effect until the end of the year), so there's no crime to pursue.

Guest deporik

Was always on the cards unfortunately. (Hercules getting away with it not Kaka's injury)

The Spanish FA have always been like a bunch of ostriches when it comes to anything controversial. Disgraceful and embarrassing imo.

Will be interesting to see if they actually do anything when the first bribary case comes up after the law changes. My money would be on a loophole that will see the case dismissed.

Madrid are fuming since it seems Kaká played in the WC with a dodgy knee, according to the doctor that operated him.

Weird that the doctor would say it openly though, doctor-patient trust and all that... Guy has given an interview to "As" today.

Real Madrid just passed €1000m in gross spend since Florentino took over back in 2000. Here's a nifty table with it broken down by season and player, for your amusement:

http://estaticos01.marca.com/imagenes/2010/08/09/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1281330797_extras_noticia_foton_7_2.jpg

Village Idiot

Will Yaya Toure be a bomb in the Premiership ?

Would he score ~ 10 goals in a season ? Would he be everywhere on the pitch? Would he grab the games by their neck ? Would he be an influential player for Man City (he is competing against Barry, De Jong, Vieira) ?

Also, will Pablo Ibanez be a star player for West Brom ?

He won't score 10 goals. He will be everywhere on the pitch (although not always where he should be). He didn't grab games by their neck at Barça but it wasn't his job there, I reckon he has the character to do so if necessary. And he's better than that lot.

Pablo Ibañez is past it.

• 3 weeks later...

18 out of 20 La Liga clubs (that is, everybody bar the big 2) have approved a set of rules calling for a collective TV contract starting the 2014-2015 season. They have submitted it to Real and Barça, who will probably refuse it. However, it seems the smaller clubs are willing to go to war this time, and impede the broadcasting of Real/Barça games when they play away.

Good to see Valencia get off to a roaring start given the fact they've lost some key players during the window.

Anyone know if they've brought anyone half decent in?

Soldado is the one that shouts out at me as being a sound bit of business, a replacement for Villa. He's obviously not as good but he's still a very good La Liga player.

Feghouli for nothing could turn out to be a coup, he is highly rated. Topal impressed me when I saw him play for Turkey also.

The most important thing for them though was despite losing the big two they managed to keep Mata, Pablo Hernandez and Banega. Add to that the likes of Vicente, Joaquin etc and they've still got a very solid side.

Well judging by the analysis of the players from you guys, I think the bats will be ok this season.

My parents live in the Valencia region and typically next week when I'm over there, Valencia are playing away twice in the week I'm there.  Everytime I've been Valencia are always playing away from home.  Balls.

Atlético are stronger this season, too (they sort of spoiled it with selling Jurado, but well). It will be a 3-way battle between Valencia, Atlético and Sevilla for the CL spots. But given how stuff was looking financially for the Chés, they have still managed to keep a very respectable team.