Why does the phrase "Home form could be key"

Guest secteur2010

Guest secteur2010

Fill me with dread? It's as if we won't even give it a crack away from home.

Bit more positivity man, Hughton. We should be looking to at least get something away from home, not solely relying on home form.

Guest secteur2010

There's obviously a difference, so it would be foolish to treat them the same.

Oh I know there's a difference, but bar the likes of the top 5 teams, we should at least be looking to go to anywhere from tenth down over to get at least a point. IMO.

I just don't like to over rely on home form, we should be looking to capitalise at all matches.

The difference is exaggerated and mostly psychological.

All games should be treat with same confidence, tbh.

But they aren't and with good reason.  It's too complex and varies from player to player and team to team.

So might as well prepare properly eh.

The difference is exaggerated and mostly psychological.

All games should be treat with same confidence, tbh.

But they aren't and with good reason.  It's too complex and varies from player to player and team to team.

So might as well prepare properly eh.

4-4-1-1 with Nolan behind Carroll away from home then?

Guest optimistic nit

win 10 home games and we will stay up, so i think its right that we should try and maximise our form at home.

Guest malandro

It will be key.

Not the manager should be saying it like.

Why not? Reducing supporter expectation is a key part of every manager’s job.

Guest malandro

Was it the 03/04 season when we only lost 3 times at home? If we take 3 points at home against teams around us then it should see us to safety.

Think that might have also been the season we only won 2 away all season as well.

Does it matter? Average two points at home and end up with a relegation avoiding 38 points. Or in other words, set the team up not to get beat and with a bit of luck we’ll finish 17th?

Back in the 70s, NUFC ALWAYS had poor results away from SJP - the same was also true in the 60s when we were in the top league.

I always felt that this was because of a couple of factors;-

1. The club is a long way from the rest of the country geographically and until the use of air-travel in the 90s, the travelling itself was a problem for players.This is not as great a problem today.

2. It seemed to me that as long as the team did well at SJP(which they usually did - we often beat Leeds

in their prime and also turned over Liverpool a few times as well as stuffing Man U 5-1 once - results you wouldn't dream of in the away game) the management and board were quite happy as we kept our home gate money and fans would turn up in the expectancy of a decent game at SJP.

The players knew this, so didn't try as hard away from home.

The other reason is one which holds good today - simply that we didn't have a big squad and our best players then tended to be forwards whereas the defenders came under more pressure away and that exposed their weaknesses(think Glen Keely and John Bird). The Fairs Cup team were the only ones with a decent back four...after that, the CDs were poor. The small squad also meant that a few injuries killed our chances of winning away from home.

BEcause we've been s**** away from home in the prem since Bobby left.

We only won 2 out of 22 league away games under Robson between beating the Mackems late in the 2002-3 season, and losing his last game at Villa at the start of the 04-05 season, and they came in a 4 days spell when we beat Boro & Fulham away.

BEcause we've been s**** away from home in the prem since Bobby left.

We only won 2 out of 22 league away games under Robson between beating the Mackems late in the 2002-3 season, and losing his last game at Villa at the start of the 04-05 season.

We've been shite away since Keegan left then.