Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

Quite like Carrick myself, albeit his level has dropped. If he applies himself he's got plenty to offer.

His drop in form is interesting. It's like Fergie doesn't rate him at all anymore.

Quite the departure from a couple of years ago.

Smacks of big boy reject and his next move would represent a risk for the buyer in terms of whether they could improve his form.

Also, with Tiote doing so well, I'd be inclined to be after an attacking midfielder with a view of being Nolans replacement over the medium term.

Not sure therefore that we could justify the wages Carrick would be on.

Guest Stephen927

Carrick is wrongly categorised as a defensive midfielder because he sits so deep. He's a ball player who needs time to operate, time to get that extra touch in and then he looks like quite a classy player as his range of passing is quite impressive. He was much more forward thinking at Spurs though, he just seems to be happy now to patrol the middle of the park.

Carrick is wrongly categorised as a defensive midfielder because he sits so deep. He's a ball player who needs time to operate, time to get that extra touch in and then he looks like quite a classy player as his range of passing is quite impressive. He was much more forward thinking at Spurs though, he just seems to be happy now to patrol the middle of the park.

Would you need him alongside a Tiote though?

I'd prefer a Nolan/Ben Arfa anyday.

Guest Stephen927

Would you need him alongside a Tiote though?

I'd prefer a Nolan/Ben Arfa anyday.

I wouldn't want us to sign Carrick.

He's on about Smith, surely? We at least had one decent season from Butt.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00981/alansmith1909getty_981023c.jpg

But I agree, Carrick's miles better but we've no need for him. Like Butt and Smith we'd just be signing them because he's available and he's come from Man Utd.

It's irrelevant who he's on about.

How? It's the entire basis of his post.

Because it's a stupid thing to say. We stick in a bid for Ronaldo, "Hang on lads, do you remember the last player we bought from Real Madrid".

They may be midfielders, and they may be on the decline, but Carrick is better than both Smith and Butt, so the fact we got both of them when they were on the decline is a pointless thing to say.

Guest Stephen927

Because it's a stupid thing to say. We stick in a bid for Ronaldo, "Hang on lads, do you remember the last player we bought from Real Madrid".

They may be midfielders, and they may be on the decline, but Carrick is better than both Smith and Butt, so the fact we got both of them when they were on the decline is a pointless thing to say.

Carrick is on the decline, just as Butt and Smith were when we bought them. Ronaldo is a whole different kettle of fish to Michael Owen, not even worth discussing that.

Carrick is on the decline, just as Butt and Smith were when we bought them. Ronaldo is a whole different kettle of fish to Michael Owen, not even worth discussing that.

But them being on the decline says nothing about their ability. They are three completely different players and at different ages/stages of their career.

I'd rather take each case seperately then say "Let's not get Carrick because the last midfielder we got from Man U that was on the decline, turned out to be shit" - surely it's a crazy predecent to have? ???

It is idiotic to let your past dictate your future. Each decision should be made on an individual basis by looking at the possible positives and negatives. Personally I think Carrick has a lot left and may be rejuvenated by playing here. I wouldn't mind him, as long as he doesn't get a 4.5 year contract.

But them being on the decline says nothing about their ability. They are three completely different players and at different ages/stages of their career.

I'd rather take each case seperately then say "Let's not get Carrick because the last midfielder we got from Man U that was on the decline, turned out to be s***" - surely it's a crazy predecent to have? ???

I was barely stating it as precedent, just making a light hearted passing comment. No need to take everything at face value. :lol:

I'd rather take each case seperately then say "Let's not get Carrick because the last midfielder we got from Man U that was on the decline, turned out to be s***" - surely it's a crazy predecent to have? ???

I was barely stating it as precedent, just making a light hearted passing comment. No need to take everything at face value. :lol:

Fair enough, I don't have a light hearted-o-meter though. I just read it differently :thup: