Wigan vs Newcastle United pre game thread - Sun 2nd Jan at 4pm (live on Sky)

Guest Tall Striker

Pardew has an obligation to pick the team he feels has the best chance of getting a result. If that means playing an arsehole then so be it.

If he wants to discipline any player then he should be doing it behind closed doors and picking him when it matters. Pardew making it personal and snubbing him doesn't help us win.

(Not disputing or condoning Ranger's indiscipline off the field btw)

:thup:

Now you're getting off track.

Just accept that it totally unacceptable to consistently arrive late to training.  Totally unprofessional attitude that should not be found in a youngster who has a lot to learn. 

Pardew is right in what he has said, but he really needs to keep his mouth shut about what should be internal issues.

I agree that it's unacceptable to consistently arrive for training late, I haven't said anything else.  I just find it strange that certain players have been getting away with a lot worse and this has become such a major issue.

What exactly did Pardew say about Ranger?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/8757520.Pardew_admits_Ranger_is_not_the_finished_article/

“I had heard about Nile prior to coming here and knew he was a talent,” said Pardew. “But I still think he has a lot to do to be a regular starter here.

“At the moment, he's probably still at the stage of being an impact player to a degree. When I see a bit more of him in training, and see him on time and being disciplined, that's when I'll feel willing to put him in the first team.

“He has potential, but he needs to get certain other things right to be a consistent performer. You need a real quality to your work in training. If you're a senior player, maybe you can afford an odd off day in training. But all the best players train very well and are focused on their performance.”

Guest toonlass

Ah thanks. So basically nowt more than basically confirming things that a lot of people have been hearing about Ranger for a while now. He needs to get his head down, work hard and show he is more than the hype.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

You'd think being a professional player playing for a Premier League club, on a professional contract with the prospect of playing in front of 50,000 people every two weeks would make you get up on time to come in to work.

You'd think being a professional player playing for a Premier League club, on a professional contract with the prospect of playing in front of 50,000 people every two weeks would make you get up on time to come in to work.

Well that could have gone for a lot more footballers than Ranger through history, footballers are like everybody else.  They need to be managed and nobody is saying anything other than that in this case. Where the difference in opinion comes into it is how he's managed.

Well that could have gone for a lot more footballers than Ranger through history, footballers are like everybody else.  They need to be managed and nobody is saying anything other than that in this case. Where the difference in opinion comes into it is how he's managed.

Exactly. :nods:

Some need the iron fist and some need the velvet glove. The key to being a good manager is to know how to get the best from each and every player. Bollocking Ranger in public makes the situation worse. Rank bad management from Pardew.

Some need the iron fist and some need the velvet glove. The key to being a good manager is to know how to get the best from each and every player. Bollocking Ranger in public makes the situation worse. Rank bad management from Pardew.

Perhaps Pardew has identified embarrassing him in the media as the way to get a response. :dontknow:

We don't know yet whether this is has made the situation worse. Only the people inside the club will be able to gauge that by studying Nile over the next few weeks.

Perhaps Pardew has identified embarrassing him in the media as the way to get a response. :dontknow:

Maybe?

Public humiliation rarely motivates imo though. Possibly the worst thing he could have done as it'll only inflame the situation. 

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We don't know yet whether this is has made the situation worse. Only the people inside the club will be able to gauge that by studying Nile over the next few weeks.

I don't really think there was a "situation" anyway.

Yeah we'll have to wait and see how he reacts but I think Pardew should have kept it to himself rather than telling the hacks in the media.

We'll see.

Public humiliation rarely motivates imo though. Possibly the worst thing he could have done as it'll only inflame the situation.

You know, I am of the opinion that footballers should motivate themselves.

If Nile isn't driven by the desire to think "I am going to be NUFC's main strike partner for Andy", then no amount of varying management techniques will work.

If Nile isn't driven by the desire to think "I am going to be NUFC's main strike partner for Andy", then no amount of varying management techniques will work.

Not disputing his attitude needs sorting. I'm disputing how Pardew is going about it. :thup:

Not disputing his attitude needs sorting. I'm disputing how Pardew is going about it. :thup:

surprising thing is it's a quite keeganesque thing to do.

Sorry but don't agree with that one bit. If Ranger thinks he's mature enough for the first-team, then he should grow up off the pitch too.

His maturity shouldn't be the reason for him playing, he should or shouldn't play because he's either good enough or not.

Just have to tell you how wrong you are here.  Woah, seriously wrong.

He's not like.

I couldn't give a shit about how mature Ranger is. If he's good enough to start, he should start.

Yeah, what a lesson he's being taught being sat on the bench, while we're left to watch a shit team with either Carroll up top alone, or with a 2nd rate striker alongside him.

If helping Ranger to grow involves us not scoring and creating chances, then I want the fucker to stay as a immature kid.

Back onto the subject of the game, big game with a lot of pressure on both sides. A defeat would put is into some trouble. Need to go 4-4-2 and get the three points.

surprising thing is it's a quite keeganesque thing to do.

Keegan was bullet-proof when he did it though. (You're thinking Beresford and Clark obviously.)