Robbie Keane - ja oder nein?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm not fussed either way. He's definitely a quality finisher but whether he'd be right for us with our already slow side is debatable. We've been down this route before with Owen and Viduka.

Worth a shot on loan if we can get the right deal.

Geremi, Duff, Butt, Smith, Owen... Robbie Keane.

Let someone else make the mistake this time, please.

It's a reasonable concern. :sadnod:

That's why a loan would make most sense, but :harry: says that's definitely not happening.

Guest JamesyJazz

Keane was up Newcastle pre season for medical reports to be compiled for the club,not suprised that the hacks continue to link him with us in the Jan transfer window.

I would take him on loan.Put it this way,he's better class than Best,Xisco,Lovenkrands and Shola.

That's why a loan would make most sense, but :harry: says that's definitely not happening.

But is it? A squad needs balance to it.

You need the right mix behind youth and ability, and experience and quality. We can't build a team of Andy Carrolls and Tim Kruls, but at the same time we can't build a team of Jose Enriques and Cheik Tiotes, nor a team of Kevin Nolans and Robbie Keanes. Put them all together and we've got a good mix of a squad.

Putting Keane in the same bracket as Smith, Geremi and Owen just isn't fair IMO. He's better than that. And he gives us proper PL experience in a position that we need. He'd compliment Carroll brilliantly too.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Think I said 'No too old' last time, and I'm going to stick to my guns. Yes, we need a striker, but he's too old. We've been stung in the past with aging players on big wages that just free load. Don't want that to ever happen again (even though it ultimately will). He was a canny player on his day, so much so he flatters to deceive (and obviously has done when you look at his transfer fee tally).

On paper he's the perfect folly for Carroll, but I think that's what concerns me - 'On Paper'.

Loan with an option to buy would be the best solution.

If he does well, Tottenham can't demand silly money for him.

If he doesn't do well, we can send him back.

Why would they accept that though? Their refusal to let him go out on loan may lower the asking price on a permanent deal but I still doubt we could afford him.

You need the right mix behind youth and ability, and experience and quality. We can't build a team of Andy Carrolls and Tim Kruls, but at the same time we can't build a team of Jose Enriques and Cheik Tiotes, nor a team of Kevin Nolans and Robbie Keanes. Put them all together and we've got a good mix of a squad.

Putting Keane in the same bracket as Smith, Geremi and Owen just isn't fair IMO. He's better than that.

I disagree. He's been without regular matches for quite a while. An aging speed merchant. Transfer seems appealing based on past-glories. I'd say it mirrors the Owen situation quite closely.

I don't blame people for making mistakes, but repeating them is pretty unforgiveable.

Think I said 'No too old' last time, and I'm going to stick to my guns. Yes, we need a striker, but he's too old. We've been stung in the past with aging players on big wages that just free load. Don't want that to ever happen again (even though it ultimately will). He was a canny player on his day, so much so he flatters to deceive (and obviously has done when you look at his transfer fee tally).

On paper he's the perfect folly for Carroll, but I think that's what concerns me - 'On Paper'.

Freudian slip? :D

Putting Keane in the same bracket as Smith, Geremi and Owen just isn't fair IMO. He's better than that.

I disagree. He's been without regular matches for quite a while. An aging speed merchant. Transfer seems appealing based on past-glories. I'd say it mirrors the Owen situation quite closely.

I don't blame people for making mistakes, but repeating them is pretty unforgiveable.

So we shouldn't sign any PL striker over the age of 28 because they might turn out like Michael Owen did? I can see why you're hesitant to make the same mistake again, I agree with that, but we can't say no to Robbie Keane just because he might turn out like Owen - you have to take each player individually.

Putting Keane in the same bracket as Smith, Geremi and Owen just isn't fair IMO. He's better than that. And he gives us proper PL experience in a position that we need. He'd compliment Carroll brilliantly too.

Having pace in certain areas is also part of getting the right blend. None of our current forwards have it and I agree with Pardew that it's what we need. Adding Keane to the Nolan's and Shola's isn't going to give you that. It depends what the alternatives are at the end of the day.

Hell yeah.. if he can stay fit would be superb signing for us.

What's his injury record like in the last year?

Easy to stay injury free when you are not getting a game

It was a genuine question mate. :)

Has he been available for Spurs all season?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Freudian slip? :D

Man, what a slip.  :lol: Aye. I'm thinking foolish signing, but was meant to put foil.  :doh:  :lol: Class.

So we shouldn't sign any PL striker over the age of 28 because they might turn out like Michael Owen did? I can see why you're hesitant to make the same mistake again, I agree with that, but we can't say no to Robbie Keane just because he might turn out like Owen - you have to take each player individually.

I'm not basing it entirely on age... he's a player that has always relied on speed AND is getting old AND doesn't get regular games. Even ignoring the Owen transfer he's still not someone I'd be confident in signing.

The fact we did have these problems with another player relatively recently only makes the move more inexplicable.

He'd do well for us for a couple of seasons. He's still far better than anyone else we have to play alongside Carroll. And the club won't do a stupid deal to get him here, they'll let him go elsewhere rather than do that.

So if we can get him on our terms its a definite "ja" for me.

Guest Heneage

I'm not basing it entirely on age... he's a player that has always relied on speed AND is getting old AND doesn't get regular games. Even ignoring the Owen transfer he's still not someone I'd be confident in signing.

The fact we did have these problems with another player relatively recently only makes the move more inexplicable.

Who do you suggest instead?

Loan. Yes please with fucking massive bells on

Permanent. 2 year deal at the max

They're only doing 5 and a half year deals atm - someone printed out 99 copies of Ranger's contract by accident, and they're fucked if they're going to waste paper when they can just scribble names out and that.

He'd do well for us for a couple of seasons. He's still far better than anyone else we have to play alongside Carroll. And the club won't do a stupid deal to get him here, they'll let him go elsewhere rather than do that.

So if we can get him on our terms its a definite "ja" for me.

I can't imagine any sort of deal that wouldn't fly in the face of Ashley's transfer policy other than a loan deal which Spurs probably won't accept. Long shot IMO.

Who do you suggest instead?

Any of a number of younger, cheaper, physical, speed merchant.

We'd get more out of a (young) Piquionne-type player than someone like Keane, in my opinion.