Stevenage 3 - 1 Newcastle Utd (FA Cup) - 08/01/11 - post match reaction from p34

Dave

Sunday Sun reckoned we had a near full strength team out, I counted 4 first choice players and one of those was Simpson who probably wouldn't be if there was any competition at RB.

we had as full a strength a side as we could muster tbh with the injuries and harper on compassionate leave

This is right, but I did wonder about the criticism that's been levelled at Pardew - that he should have given the older players a rest and pitched in the youngsters.

I didn't think Stevenage were any better than Accrington, who we beat with a reserve team who showed a fair bit of energy and determination. Then I checked the team that we fielded, and six of those players - Donaldson, Lua Lua, Vuckic, Shola, Tavernier, R Taylor - are not available now because of either injury or being loaned out. Of the rest, Lovenkrands and Krul actually started against Stevenage, and Ranger, Kadar and Ferguson were on the bench.

Our basic situation was that we didn't have enough first team regulars fit to field a really strong side, but the option of a team of eager youngsters wasn't really there either.