Stevenage 3 - 1 Newcastle Utd (FA Cup) - 08/01/11 - post match reaction from p34

Dave

How f***ing pathetic was Pardew's post-match interview on ESPN!!! 4 or 5 players were running empty...what is squad rotation for in football then you moron??? Go and ask some Mr.Wenger. And to play long ball style against some League 2 opponent when our youth team is supposed to outpass them out of the f***ing stadium every day of the year!!! And how about that when he he was asked about "what did he say in the dressing room"? Utter bollocks. After that kind of a performance they needed a good old hairdryer treatment a la Fergie but it seems Pardew's juist another mr nice guy like Hughton was

Had to stop watching this humiliation after 2nd goal...

Hopefully this was a good learning experience for Pardew(but I highly doubt it because he wouldn't have done this in the first place if he knew).  :knuppel2:

best post ever :clap:

Ridicilous how lacking of ideas were are without Jonas and Enrique. I know Jonas is a bit 'Marmite' to some Newcastle fans, but the amount of possession he gives us and forward momentum (even if his final ball is often lacking) really makes a hell of a difference. People have been raving about Barton's performances this season, but in fairness a number of his assists have come from set-pieces and second phases of set-pieces won by Jonas. We all know in the team today there were players carried (Smith, Perch, even Best, Routledge and Lovenkrands) and that's what really worries me. We lose a couple of players and we struggle.

Saying that today, tactically, we got it all wrong. All season we've essentially played a high pressure kick and rush tactic. Some teams have dealt with it okay, others (Villa, WHam and to an extent Sunderland) have really struggled against it. For a League Two side it's a bread and butter tactic. Have we really not got the capabilities as side to build from the back? To pass it and work a team? Looking at some of our 'creative' players, such as Nolan, Barton and Routledge, I'd say simply - no, we haven't.

Let's be honest, it's a poor result but not the end of the world. But so many things were wrong today. The only positives I can hope for, is that some of the lesser players were found out today, Pardew now knows this, and can shift them on.

Good point about Jonas. However annoying his crossing might be, he's a very important outlet for us.

I'm not sure that kick and rush was the intended tactic, because for the first 15 minutes, we were able to keep the ball on the deck and created chances down the right. After that, probably due to a combination of tiredness and a very unathletic midfield, our movement went and we were reduced to hitting it long. Our immobile midfield also found it difficult to protect the back four.

Pardew's getting some stick, but I'm not sure what alternatives were available to him, particularly in CM, where we completely lost control.

How f***ing pathetic was Pardew's post-match interview on ESPN!!! 4 or 5 players were running empty...what is squad rotation for in football then you moron??? Go and ask some Mr.Wenger. And to play long ball style against some League 2 opponent when our youth team is supposed to outpass them out of the f***ing stadium every day of the year!!! And how about that when he he was asked about "what did he say in the dressing room"? Utter bollocks. After that kind of a performance they needed a good old hairdryer treatment a la Fergie but it seems Pardew's juist another mr nice guy like Hughton was

Had to stop watching this humiliation after 2nd goal...

Hopefully this was a good learning experience for Pardew(but I highly doubt it because he wouldn't have done this in the first place if he knew).  :knuppel2:

best post ever :clap:

:facepalm:

Pardew's getting some stick, but I'm not sure what alternatives were available to him, particularly in CM, where we completely lost control.

How about if start playing naturally left footed player in the left flank etc? like Vuckic, Kadar, Ranger

the most frustrating and imbarrasing match i ever watched!

everybody was shi*....nobody cared! maybe krul and colo did ok!

long balls all night WTF.....seems like we had a ball possesion of 30%....IMBARRASING!

I was very dissapointed by our line up....hoped to see more reserves in the starting 11...ranger, guthrie, kadar, ferguson, vuckic and xisco (maybe some are injured?)

Alan smith is a fukking joke....give him away! pardew wants to keep him, sad

Awful match, was to the left of the stand n thought the support was good tbh, what are the lyrics to the "follow follow" song that went on the entire second half?

biggest defeat of the match was Tiote's red, which was ridiculous, but with all this "in this day and age" bollocks can't be surprised

We love you,we love you, we love you & that is why we follow, we follow, we follow,  cos we support the boro, the boro the boro & thats the way we like it, we like it, we like it awhooooooooowwwwwwaaahhhhhwwwwwoooooooooo

Why don't you fuck off you stevenage, baby at 13, tosser!

Thought you'd be pleased,  your local team won :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Merked.

How about if start playing naturally left footed player in the left flank etc? like Vuckic, Kadar, Ranger

I think the best alternative for the left would have been Ferguson, with Barton moved inside. Even then, it's hard to tell how well that would have worked, because Ferguson is very inexperienced.

I didn't think Vuckic was fit, but he's not a wide player anyway. Ranger I thought was right footed - no doubt someone will correct me on that if I'm mistaken. As for Kadar, I'm not sure what his stronger foot is, but he's basically a centre back and can't be expected to offer much going forward out wide.

You can blame the players and Pardew all you like.  At the end of the day, hats off to Stevenage, they totally deserved that and their manager seemed very switched on and got it completely right.  Best of luck to them.

We clearly have a first eleven that is capable, the rest are woefully short of the levels we require.  We are not 1 or two short at all IMO, its a fair few more than that.

Bring on the mackems.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The defeat was bad but Tiote out for 3 matches is terrible.

The worst thing is he still has his 2 game ban for 10 yellows hanging over him

Krul

Perch

Colo

Williamson

Kadar

Routledge

Smith

Vuckic/Guthrie

Ferguson

Ranger

Best

Subs (in order of preference to give a run out):

Xisco

Vuckic/Airey

Nolan/Gosling/Barton

Would have been my preferred team, mixture of reserves and youth and if we lost the tie - so what, there are more important things next week and this can be chalked off as an expensive learning experience.

Can't understand why we played 71 minutes with 10 men, and then another 8 minutes with 9 men :dontknow:

Having slept on it, it speaks volumes that I'm more bothered about the loss of Tiote for 3 games (next week mainly :( ) than going out the cup. We deserved to lose, I love the cup but I love being in the Premier League more, unfortunately we'll probably get 0 points from our next 3 league games now given how tough 2 of them are followed by what could be a pretty vital trip to Fulham. The performance reminded me of when we got stuffed off Birmingham in the replay a few years ago - a squad that is knackered having played so many games recently and down to the bare bones as a result. Pardew picked probably the strongest team he had available to him, Tiote aside, but we all know what happened there. I felt Nolan was walking around on empty desperately trying not to get injured before next week, Smith, Perch & Routledge were terrible and Best was even worse than he was last season, though I've a feeling the injury he was carrying going into the game was hindering him.

As for bringing on Tiote, anybody who has watched us this season can see he is the key man. He keeps the ball, takes 2 or 3 out of the game and plays it to the wide men. It's not rocket science and it was clearly missing yesterday. That coupled with the lack of options from the bench meant bringing him on was likely to free up Barton, Nolan & Routledge as it usually does, only he was gone within 10 minutes for actually giving a fuck and trying to get us back in the game. It's a good tackel, in the end, but flying 3 foot through the air to do it will always look dangerous. Having said that, Kuyt did much worse to Phil Neville and actually made contact with him a few years ago, and was only booked. Urgh.

There's only Coloccini & Barton who comes out of this with any credit in my eyes, Pardew has big decisions to make this week in both the transfer market and what team he picks next Sunday. If the mackems don't make any signings, neither side will have an out and out defensive midfielder in their team, which could make for an open game, which will suit them down to the ground I imagine. My main worry is that team spirit will be ripped apart by this shocking display, but this is Pardew's first real test of character.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

The defeat was bad but Tiote out for 3 matches is terrible.

The worst thing is he still has his 2 game ban for 10 yellows hanging over him

Ffs :(

That's nobody's fault but Tiote's. Like I said in the match thread yesterday, you can't not pick a player because you're worried he's going to get a yellow or red card before he's even went on the field, else you shouldn't play him full stop.

tiote who gets booked all the time, while we are chasing a game, on a shite pitch, against players whose shite touch constantly invites 50-50s (and which drew tiote's 'foul')? plenty of people on here were hoping he wouldn't get any pitch time and plenty thought itwas the wrong move to make. it was a risk and it backfired. had it came off he'd have received praise, it hasnt so he gets deserved stick.

This won't go down well, but yesterday's game illustrates what Shola brings to the side, despite his limitations. We had no-one to lead the line, hold the ball up or create any problems up front. Best doesn't carry sufficient threat. Ranger tried and has plenty of pace, but is too raw for that particular role at the moment.

Guest Tall Striker

Just got round to reviewing this.

It says in the Mag this month that you should never say 'that was the worst NUFC performance i've ever seen' because there will always have been worse.

Well, fuck them, because this was the worst performance i've seen in 20 years following the club.

Total and utter disgraceful performances, every single one of them.

Guest Chris P

Not arsed. The only thing that disappointed me about yesterday was not seeing the youngsters play. I was on me way to the pub quite looking forward to watching the likes of Airey Kadar

Ferguson etc, As soon as i saw the team sheet i knew we were gonna get beat. I know the media would have gone to town on us for fielding a weakened side in the glorious FA cup but imo the younguns would have battered this lot. As Pardsey said post match, they looked Knackered. A bridge too far I'm afraid.