Stevenage 3 - 1 Newcastle Utd (FA Cup) - 08/01/11 - post match reaction from p34

Dave

Guest palnese

I don't care about the result tbh. It's Tiote's red card that worries me. I expect us to pick up fuck all over the next 3 games.

Guest neesy111

How ppl can be happy with that result is beyond me.  The players and management have humiliated the club, fans and city.

Perch, smith and routledge can all f*** off to league 2 as that is their level.

Howay man, it's not the first time we've been knocked out the cup by a team lower down the divisions than us. It's not the end of the world :lol:

EDIT: And who's 'happy' with the result?

God man this is the worst performance in more than 15 years I've been watching nufc.  Too many ppl on here have short minds about what the cup means to NUFC.

It means alot to me. If you bothered to read my posts, you'd see that.

All I'm saying is, you've gone a bit overboard with your reactions to this defeat. Yes it was gutless and a terrible way to slump out of the cup, but:

a) Did you really expect us to do any different?

b) Isn't the two other wins this week more important?

I also don't think this is the 'worst performance in more than 15 years' - I've sat through worse.

Yes I do fuckung expect better when we are 73 places above them in the league.

What is the point in entering cup competitions when we clearly are not interested in doing anything in them.  I bet there are many here who complain that we haven't won a trophy in so many years will we won't and don't if we treat cup competitions with utter contempt like we have.

We got to 2 cup finals in 98, 99 despite having 2 awful managers and teams tbh.

Guest neesy111

You're arguing with yourself man :lol: Nobody is 'happy' with what happened.

There are plenty saying they are not bothered about the result which is just as bad.  The fans who act like that don't deserve us to win a trophy.

There are plenty saying they are not bothered about the result which is just as bad.  The fans who act like that don't deserve us to win a trophy.

:facepalm:

It was a freak result. Just because people aren't crying their eyes out and rioting down Northumberland Street doesn't mean they don't care. People got their anger out, shrugged their shoulders and got back to focussing the league.

Yes it's a terrible result, but it's not the end of the world - NUFC have been disappointing us like this in cup competitions for years. I would say the Birmingham 5-1 was worse than this.

The second sentence is a ridiculous thing to say btw - and this is coming from someone who really wanted us to give it a go.

Well I'm sure the last thing you want to hear is a Spurs supporter's view, but it was the only full game I got to watch in the 3rd round, so here goes.

Given your line-up, the only thing truly shocking for me was how good Stevenage were. There have been a few comments about the lack of desire and commitment from Newcastle, but I didn't see too much of that. The game simply showed up the lack of depth in your squad. Having made allowances for Barton being woefully out of position at LM, every other player performed at the level I would have expected. Krul was a little shaky, and Perch is Perch (although also out of position). Other than that, the defence was exposed time and time again by an ineffective midfield. I wondered if that early injury got to Nolan, but even so, he and Smith were lamentable. As for the forwards, well they're just not very good, and there was little or no hold-up play. If your midfield is getting overrun then the forwards have to give them a chance to recover - something they signally failed to do.

Stevenage were playing in familiar positions with familiar players around them and it showed. They were well-drilled and confident, and usually had at least one passing option, often out wide. Smith, Best, Lovenkrands and Perch are really not great, and when you couple that with your best player out of position and unconvincing games from Nolan, Routledge and Williamson, that doesn't leave much. In particular, when your midfield is getting outplayed (and they really were) in these games you need some class up front to tell. I think you could have replaced either Best or Lovenkrands with Carroll and won comfortably despite that midfield, although obviously that wasn't an option.

Tough to know what Pardew should have done, although Lovenkrands on the wing is never the answer. Guthrie and Barton in the middle, Best and Ranger up front, kids like Ferguson or Kadar? None of it's convincing. Your first XI is pretty good, particularly Tiote and Carroll, but after that there's a BIG drop-off. We had to play BAE yet again today because there is no cover at LB, and I'd have thought Jonas should have played for exactly the same reason. At least people can largely play in their proper position then.

This won't go down well, but yesterday's game illustrates what Shola brings to the side, despite his limitations. We had no-one to lead the line, hold the ball up or create any problems up front. Best doesn't carry sufficient threat. Ranger tried and has plenty of pace, but is too raw for that particular role at the moment.

Yesterday’s game highlights that our central midfield needs a lot of work on it.  They offered no protection to the defence and did nothing to help the front two.  Shola wouldn't have made the slightest difference.

Well I'm sure the last thing you want to hear is a Spurs supporter's view, but it was the only full game I got to watch in the 3rd round, so here goes.

Given your line-up, the only thing truly shocking for me was how good Stevenage were. There have been a few comments about the lack of desire and commitment from Newcastle, but I didn't see too much of that. The game simply showed up the lack of depth in your squad. Having made allowances for Barton being woefully out of position at LM, every other player performed at the level I would have expected. Krul was a little shaky, and Perch is Perch (although also out of position). Other than that, the defence was exposed time and time again by an ineffective midfield. I wondered if that early injury got to Nolan, but even so, he and Smith were lamentable. As for the forwards, well they're just not very good, and there was little or no hold-up play. If your midfield is getting overrun then the forwards have to give them a chance to recover - something they signally failed to do.

Stevenage were playing in familiar positions with familiar players around them and it showed. They were well-drilled and confident, and usually had at least one passing option, often out wide. Smith, Best, Lovenkrands and Perch are really not great, and when you couple that with your best player out of position and unconvincing games from Nolan, Routledge and Williamson, that doesn't leave much. In particular, when your midfield is getting outplayed (and they really were) in these games you need some class up front to tell. I think you could have replaced either Best or Lovenkrands with Carroll and won comfortably despite that midfield, although obviously that wasn't an option.

Tough to know what Pardew should have done, although Lovenkrands on the wing is never the answer. Guthrie and Barton in the middle, Best and Ranger up front, kids like Ferguson or Kadar? None of it's convincing. Your first XI is pretty good, particularly Tiote and Carroll, but after that there's a BIG drop-off. We had to play BAE yet again today because there is no cover at LB, and I'd have thought Jonas should have played for exactly the same reason. At least people can largely play in their proper position then.

:thup:

It was a freak result. Just because people aren't crying their eyes out and rioting down Northumberland Street doesn't mean they don't care. People got their anger out, shrugged their shoulders and got back to focussing the league.

Yes it's a terrible result, but it's not the end of the world - NUFC have been disappointing us like this in cup competitions for years. I would say the Birmingham 5-1 was worse than this.

The second sentence is a ridiculous thing to say btw - and this is coming from someone who really wanted us to give it a go.

Too fucking right it was, I was one of the few that stayed till the end at that game. Matty Pattison on the left, fuck me.

Also are those not bothered, happy that around 1400 fans paid in excess of £100 to watch that result as well.

Why don't you offer to comp the money for them, then? You seem to be bothered.

Also are those not bothered, happy that around 1400 fans paid in excess of £100 to watch that result as well.

Agreed.

:thup:

:lol:

Guest neesy111

Too fucking right it was, I was one of the few that stayed till the end at that game. Matty Pattison on the left, fuck me.

Fucking hell, so getting beat off a team that was only 12 places below us is worse than a team 73 places.

Deary me, some fucking idiots in this place.

Too f***ing right it was, I was one of the few that stayed till the end at that game. Matty Pattison on the left, f*** me.

The 1-5 against Birmingham wasn't as bad as yesterday, no way.

Too f***ing right it was, I was one of the few that stayed till the end at that game. Matty Pattison on the left, f*** me.

f***ing hell, so getting beat off a team that was only 12 places below us is worse than a team 73 places.

Deary me, some f***ing idiots in this place.

:lol: :lol: You realise you're seen as the main moron on here right?

Guest neesy111

f***ing hell, so getting beat off a team that was only 12 places below us is worse than a team 73 places.

Hmm, at least I take stick unlike others on here and put my viewpoint across.  Too many fans with short memories about what the cup means to NUFC.

Hmm, at least I take stick unlike others on here and put my viewpoint across.  Too many fans with short memories about what the cup means to NUFC.

Everybody can take stick man, fucking hell no one is arguing that it was a bad result, I'm pretty sure every one knows how many times we've won the cup and what it means to everyone. I'd LOVE to win the FA Cup, everyone would, but now we're out, we have to accept it and move on. In my opinion, because I was there for the whole 90 minutes, the Birmingham one was worse. If you disagree fine, but talk of feeling sorry for the fans who made the trip is rubbish, its part of being a football fan, you get beat badly sometimes, but you stick with them and move on. We were just as bad against Bolton but no one was talking about feeling sorry for the away support then.