Location of Newcastle East End Ground

Guest Brazilianbob

over 12 years on and a great time to revive an old thread!

It looks like development work is going on on the site of Newcastle East End's old ground at Heaton Railway junction off chillingham road, most likely new houses. Seems sad that this area has been forgotten, especially when you consider that this ground played a huge part in the formation of the club, without this venue, east end would have likely folded like West End (it was looked on as superior to St James' Park in terms of facilities, but ultimately not location) 

It's a pity the land wasn't obtained by the club as it would have made a great training ground for newcastle, especially when you add his historical significance of the site.    

Would be well sketchy letting footballers park their cars round there like 

Within a week of the training ground opening there’d be a skaghead trying to flog a Lambo in the Raby for a tenner 

Edited by bobbydazzla

18 minutes ago, madras said:

The book "All with smiling faces" gives great detail and background story about the formation of the club from the days of Stanley FC.

aye its a good read. Pioneers of the North is also excellent

9 minutes ago, madras said:

I was hoping there'd be a follow on to Smiling faces, between the wars maybe.

I'm sure there will be eventually as there's probably a lot we still don't know.

The most tragic era probably was ww1 as newcastle had a lot of players killed in france. When you think at the time Newcastle were the dominant force then (league titles and regular FA cup appearances) and probably like most teams had to start from scratch after the war. 

1 hour ago, Mr Pups said:

over 12 years on and a great time to revive an old thread!

It looks like development work is going on on the site of Newcastle East End's old ground at Heaton Railway junction off chillingham road, most likely new houses. Seems sad that this area has been forgotten, especially when you consider that this ground played a huge part in the formation of the club, without this venue, east end would have likely folded like West End (it was looked on as superior to St James' Park in terms of facilities, but ultimately not location) 

It's a pity the land wasn't obtained by the club as it would have made a great training ground for newcastle, especially when you add his historical significance of the site.    

Aye it’s a new housing estate going up. Not sure I’d fancy living so close to the ECML and depot over the way myself. 

59 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Would be well sketchy letting footballers park their cars round there like 

Within a week of the training ground opening there’d be a skaghead trying to flog a Lambo in the Raby for a tenner 

Saw a job being advertised for pub manager there recently. Get yourself involved. 

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Aye it’s a new housing estate going up. Not sure I’d fancy living so close to the ECML and depot over the way myself. 

Saw a job being advertised for pub manager there recently. Get yourself involved. 

Not sure I’d be up for running a craft ale and artisan pork scratchin boozer like. Too many hipsters 

IMG-5917.jpg

IMG-5916.jpg

IMG-5914.jpg

Edited by bobbydazzla

29 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Not sure I’d be up for running a craft ale and artisan pork scratchin boozer like. Too many hipsters 

IMG-5917.jpg

IMG-5916.jpg

IMG-5914.jpg

Love the juxtaposition of ‘Live Entertainment’ over a bunch of radgies kicking the shit out of each other

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Love the juxtaposition of ‘Live Entertainment’ over a bunch of radgies kicking the shit out of each other

Tbf if you watch the video there's not much, actual, damage done. Other than to, what must be already fragile, reputations. 

Clowns

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

Tbf if you watch the video there's not much, actual, damage done. Other than to, what must be already fragile, reputations. 

Clowns

Pretty much every knacker mass ruck I’ve ever seen is embarrassingly shite - for a bunch of needlessly aggressive wankers, none of them ever seem able to throw a punch properly 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Pretty much every knacker mass ruck I’ve ever seen is embarrassingly shite - for a bunch of needlessly aggressive wankers, none of them ever seem able to throw a punch properly 

Boatloads of drink, shitloads of prescription drugs and methadone dependency don’t tend to be the best stimulants to enhance fighting  performance haha.

FWIW i used to drink down shields Road regularly years ago and went back a couple of Saturdays ago for an afternoon session - it’s a good laugh and  most of the butchers / Jackson’s / Raby / Grace regulars are characters who it’s easy to sneer at but are content with life and each others company. Most are nowt like the idiots in that “brawl” that went viral.

id 100% rather have an afternoon down there than in Livello or the likes. 

7 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

Boatloads of drink, shitloads of prescription drugs and methadone dependency don’t tend to be the best stimulants to enhance fighting  performance haha.

FWIW i used to drink down shields Road regularly years ago and went back a couple of Saturdays ago for an afternoon session - it’s a good laugh and  most of the butchers / Jackson’s / Raby / Grace regulars are characters who it’s easy to sneer at but are content with life and each others company. Most are nowt like the idiots in that “brawl” that went viral.

id 100% rather have an afternoon down there than in Livello or the likes

It's not an either/or situation 

3 hours ago, OCOCOL said:

id 100% rather have an afternoon down there than in Livello or the likes. 

Yeah, no issues from me with people spending the day on the lash - drank down Sheilds Road a few times in the past.  Just the odd daft cunt who suddenly thinks he’s Lenny McLean which can wreck a decent afternoon