Darren Bent Signs for Aston Villa

Guest neesy111

This could be their Andy Cole moment but somehow I feel Bent's sale is more about recouping some of the huge money the board of SAFC have spent in recent years rather than anything else. I doubt Bruce will get the full Bent money to spend, or even half of it. As for Bent, he's quite a poor footballer in terms of all-round play but is a decent goalscorer. For the money though he'd represent a poor buy for Villa in my opinion. I can see him struggling massively.

He's a very good goalscorer IMO, one of the best in this country. The quoted figure of £18m "in this market" seems fair enough to me given the quantity of goals he's consistently scored in recent seasons. I agree however that his all-round play leaves something to be desired - technically I think he's quite poor.

Understatement.

Cannit strike a ball cleanly.

Indeed. Not that it's making a great deal of difference for him.

Guest Heneage

My Sunderland supporting friend, who is often brutally honest about them says he has a horrible first touch, like a dog chasing a balloon.

Guest Howaythetoon

This could be their Andy Cole moment but somehow I feel Bent's sale is more about recouping some of the huge money the board of SAFC have spent in recent years rather than anything else. I doubt Bruce will get the full Bent money to spend, or even half of it. As for Bent, he's quite a poor footballer in terms of all-round play but is a decent goalscorer. For the money though he'd represent a poor buy for Villa in my opinion. I can see him struggling massively.

He's a very good goalscorer IMO, one of the best in this country. The quoted figure of £18m "in this market" seems fair enough to me given the quantity of goals he's consistently scored in recent seasons. I agree however that his all-round play leaves something to be desired - technically I think he's quite poor.

It is weird because technically his finishing is very average if you ask me, he can't seem to strike the ball with any degree of power for example, but still gets himself goals as you say. I've not seen much of Beckford but I'd say technically he is a better footballer than Bent.

It is weird because technically his finishing is very average if you ask me, he can't seem to strike the ball with any degree of power for example, but still gets himself goals as you say. I've not seen much of Beckford but I'd say technically he is a better footballer than Bent.

Funny you say that - neither have I. :lol:

Only me who thinks he'd score a lot of goals in Villa's current team?

Our main problem is - and has been for two years - scoring goals.

I don't care if Bent does absolutely nothing else, if he weighs in with one in every two for us, I will be well pleased. Our match yesterday was a perfect example, chances missed all over the shop. A goalscorer isn't the difference between us getting relegated (which we're clearly not going to, even without Bent, trust me), it is the difference between mooking around like we are in the lower reaches this season and being much further up the table.

Agbonlahor has been out for an op and looks rusty since coming back, Carew clearly hates Houllier and wants out, Heskey has been good this season but is in no way reliable in delivering goals, and Delfouneso is very, very promising, but it's a lot of responsbility to stick on his shoulders.

I genuinely do not care if Bent has the first touch of a rapist, fuck it, we want someone who will get in the right place and put it in the net.

I really like the look of Delfouenso and tend to think he'll be a first team regular for you this time next season. I just think that for all Bent's limitations, Villa have no strikers at all whose main attribute is scoring those 'bread and butter' chances at a relatively consistent rate.

This is really frustrating from my perspective. Exactly the sort of player we need - we could derail the bid with a last-gasp offer for £1.8m rising to £2.4m, I reckon.

Where would you get that kind of money from though?

Just watched a bit on Youtube

DARREN BENT AMAZING (Charlton)

Darren Bent 08/09 season (Spurs)

Darren Bent goals (SAFC)

He has a few scuffs but most of them are when he is in a goalmouth scramble or when he going full belt.  What I did notice is he seems to aim  for the bottom corners of the net.

This is really frustrating from my perspective. Exactly the sort of player we need - we could derail the bid with a last-gasp offer for £1.8m rising to £2.4m, I reckon.

Where would you get that kind of money from though?

Pienaar. :snod:

IT ALL FALLS INTO PLACE!

Just watched a bit on Youtube

DARREN BENT AMAZING (Charlton)

Darren Bent 08/09 season (Spurs)

Darren Bent goals (SAFC)

He has few scuffs but most of them are when he is in a goalmouth scramble or when he going full belt.  What I did notice is he seems to aim  for the bottom corners of the net.

Partially it's him aiming, and it's a good tactic, but there's no doubt he does scuff a lot though. Still, I think he very consciously keeps them low so I guess it's hard to really make it look like sweet, clean connections when they're cutting across the ground.

Guest neesy111

Heskey is apparently part of the deal.  Just when you think it can't better it does.

Like really, or the joke?

Brummie journalists are saying that is the deal.

Guest Geordiesned

Deal done. £18 million in total. £24 million in cash and Emile Heskey!  O0

I heard the deal was worth £24 million. £30 million plus Heskey. :D

Guest neesy111

Heskey is apparently part of the deal.  Just when you think it can't better it does.

Which Brummie journalists?

Some of them on Twitter, just seen the Retweets of them.

Guest kingdawson

Brummie, do you think any of your boys will leave now? As for Bent, i think he's going to own if you play 4-5-1 but suck if you play him alongside anyone. Couldn't form a partnership with Keane, Berbatov, Defoe, Pavlychenko, Gyan and Jones so can't see it suddenly changing.

Which Brummie journalists?

Some of them on Twitter, just seen the Retweets of them.

I've not noticed any, but hey ho.

Emile has put in the odd decent shift for us under Houllier, bizarrely.

I'd rather Ireland went as part of the deal.