Football in the summer?

Taylor Swift
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The powers that be in Norway also want us to follow the "normal" football calendar. Naturally our northernmost clubs are "WTF, man?" and not in support, though, so it'll never happen. :lol:

They just challenge anyone to an Ice Hockey match instead.

I don't think attendances would suffer because there are plenty of other sports on which have good attendances in the summer, like Fergie said.

I think the quality of football will be better because the pitches will be better. I think the atmosphere itself will be better, because from my experience, sunshine = lots of beer drinking in England, and that usually translates into a good atmosphere.

I also think that you could actually increase the attendances of mid-week games because kids are all on holiday, so it's a good chance to get kids into football from an early age. I know we as a club haven't had the problem of low attendances, but we're the exception rather than the rule, and thus many clubs would benefit if they could attract more people.

With regards to the temperature, you could play matches later on in the afternoon, say start at 5-ish, when the temperature drops to a nice and breezy 25 degrees. If you only consider the Premiership, I think it'd be very good.

With the other European countries, they already have a mid-season break, so you could just schedule that break for the hottest few weeks of the summer, thus avoiding the 35 degree days.

With some clever scheduling, I don't see how things wouldn't improve by football being played in the summer.

From fans' perspective, it also allows you to take holidays during the end of the year/early new year and not miss any football, and I reckon that's probably the best time for you to take a holiday because of how cold it normally is at that time.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye, if we can fit a two week' break while starting in the first week of September you should be able to arrange something.

Would 'fit in' with the transfer window ending in August too.

Fergie quite clearly forgets millions of people fuck off during the summer & tv is not watched as much in the summer months. Less fans at games & TV companies getting less wedge off there advertisers, what the f*** lets give this a crack!!!

As great as it would be to watch the PL in the summer months, it's a distant dream. No way would it be overall beneficial to the game other than nicer weather for it. For England, anyway, VI's already showed why it would pose a problem in various other countries.

To be honest Barcelona's summers are relatively mild compared to the rest of Spain, and the 35º figure is only for the hottest days of summer. But the Andalusian stadiums would be hell to play in (pun intended), some areas of southern Spain can reach 40º in August. Fucking hell, playing football in the summer in Écija... unthinkable.