New Number 9?

Guest SuperShola!

Having snapped up a few cheapos/freebies in a few positions we needed strengthening, I see no reason why we can't test the water with a £15m-£20m bid for Sturridge.

:thup: My thoughts.

Surely, surely we can afford at least one player that costs a decent wedge after all the Carroll money and all these freebies?

Hope so, for me that will be the test of what we do with the 35M. We don't have to spend it all, but getting in a player in excess of 10M will show that we are reinvesting the 35M back into the team

Totally against retiring numbers. Squad numbers are a modern USA inspired thing to sell gear.

Should 9 have been retired after Gallagher? Milburn? Macdonald? Cole? Ferdinand? Shearer?

If not why the hell after Andy Carroll, a player inferior to any of the above.

How can kids dream of wearing number 9 if its retired?

Leave retiring numbers to vain twats like Burlusconi.

Spot on.

For people saying its sentimental shit, just give it to anyone, do you not think having a special number set aside is an advantage to the club? Carroll seemed to step up his game when we gave him that responsibility. If Ashley takes a bang to the head and tries to land someone of Sturridge's calibre, do you not think we could help sell it to him by saying he'd be number 9 and pointing out the significance it has to the fans, the players like supermac, shearer milburn he'd join? Rather than just a choice between everton's number 23 shirt or our 31 shirt, because we gave the number 9 to whoever was our starting centre forward when it was squad selection time?