Players missing international duty to be banned from next club match?

Dave

I dont know how you would enforce it, players will just say that they have picked up a knock.  If a club like NUFC has a striker shortage then thats a damn fine reason for no releasing a player for a friendly.

The whole situation's a joke. I don't think there can ever be a good solution tbh. A lot of games need to be played these days. Of course England need friendlies, but when else can they do them? Even if they get placed earlier in the season, it's only going to push fixtures back and cause congestion in the PL later in the season. The FA are twats, don't get me wrong. This whole idea of banning players is ridiculous to the extreme. But unfortunately we will forever be complaining about fixture congestion.

Guest Stephen927

Clubs should have the right to block international call-ups, it'd then be up to the clubs to deal with any fall out with the player. After all, who pays the wages and inflated transfer fees?

Clubs should be disciplined if they are found to be tampering with player's international duties. The decision should be made by the player. The amount of lying and deceit that the "smaller" nations have had to deal with in the past is ridiculous. I am perfectly fine with players not wanting to come, but the manner in which the clubs influence them is troubling.

I don't think players should pick and choose whether to turn up for international duty, it's an honour and a privilege but i also think it should be kept separate from their club career so it is difficult, if they don't turn up to the previous squad (without an English representative's prior medical consent) they should just be left out of the next (non-friendly) squad. That would weed out the players that actually want to play for their country and give the ones that do (like Scott Parker!) a chance.