Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton - 05/03/11 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

More I watch that first goal the more I think Simpson would have stayed out wide to mark Arteta.

taylor got over, simpson been in the same position many times this season,isolated with amman coming at him, the problem was arteta had men to pick out.....free on the penalty spot.

Taylor hesitated somewhat. Arteta had the space and as he came towards the penalty area, Taylor advanced, then kind of stopped in his tracks and thought about it - gave Arteta enough time to pass.

Taylor hesitated somewhat. Arteta had the space and as he came towards the penalty area, Taylor advanced, then kind of stopped in his tracks and thought about it - gave Arteta enough time to pass.

gave enough time to pass ? would you rather he rushed him when already in the box....it's something many people say "stand him up", "get at him" etc but it's easier said than done when a player is running at you. taylor on that occasion done what he should, block the angle to goal. little was he to know we'd leave players totally unmarked  to take a touch before shooting 12 yds from goal.

gave enough time to pass ? would you rather he rushed him when already in the box....it's something many people say "stand him up", "get at him" etc but it's easier said than done when a player is running at you. taylor on that occasion done what he should, block the angle to goal. little was he to know we'd leave players totally unmarked  to take a touch before shooting 12 yds from goal.

Whilst you're correct, it was Taylor's fault in the first place. He wasn't positioned where he should be. It looked like this:

-----------------------------------------------|                      |-------------------------------------

HARPER

^

WILLIAMSON        |

|

ARTETA                                          TAYLOR                              COLO         ENRIQUE (?)    

^

|

|

|

BALL

He took up a CB positioning when he was supposed to be the RB.

Whilst you're correct, it was Taylor's fault in the first place. He wasn't positioned where he should be. It looked like this:

-----------------------------------------------|                      |-------------------------------------

HARPER

^

WILLIAMSON        |

|

ARTETA                                          TAYLOR                              COLO          ENRIQUE (?)   

^

|

|

|

BALL

isn't it a natural position to take when the oppo has no out and out winger on that side ? taylor could have been quicker over (which could have gave arteta the oppo to cut back)....the major problem was the marking for the arteta pass.......for fucks sake man it wasn't even a first time but a touch then a passed type shot.

HARPER

^

WILLIAMSON        |

|

ARTETA                                          TAYLOR                              COLO          ENRIQUE (?)   

^

|

|

|

BALL

isn't it a natural position to take when the oppo has no out and out winger on that side ? taylor could have been quicker over (which could have gave arteta the oppo to cut back)....the major problem was the marking for the arteta pass.......for f***s sake man it wasn't even a first time but a touch then a passed type shot.

Taylor ran away from the ball/Arteta and towards Harper/Williamson in the centre. When the ball is clearly going to that side of the pitch, as the RB (which he was before it's disputed it was a 3-5-2 as he took up the RB position when we were on the ball and throughout the game) you should not be putting that much space between yourself and the ball/attacker.

It was poor marking but f***ing hell, the ball should have been in the Milburn stand before he even had the chance to cross in.

In fact, there were two occasions in the first half down that side where Harper came out and closed down the ball and hoofed it high into the Milburn stand.

You know there's something wrong when even your goalkeeper is a better fucking fullback than you.

HARPER

^

WILLIAMSON        |

|

^

|

|

|

BALL

isn't it a natural position to take when the oppo has no out and out winger on that side ? taylor could have been quicker over (which could have gave arteta the oppo to cut back)....the major problem was the marking for the arteta pass.......for f***s sake man it wasn't even a first time but a touch then a passed type shot.

Taylor ran away from the ball/Arteta and towards Harper/Williamson in the centre. When the ball is clearly going to that side of the pitch, as the RB (which he was before it's disputed it was a 3-5-2 as he took up the RB position when we were on the ball and throughout the game) you should not be putting that much space between yourself and the ball/attacker.

It was poor marking but f***ing hell, the ball should have been in the Milburn stand before he even had the chance to cross in.

how do you stop that cross (i'd say pass) coming in ? he gets between man and goal, he can only hope we've marked the other options......we didn't, badly.

also....ever wondered why the defenders on that side always get accused of backing off too much ? might it be lack of support from in front of them?

how do you stop that cross (i'd say pass) coming in ? he gets between man and goal, he can only hope we've marked the other options......we didn't, badly.

also....ever wondered why the defenders on that side always get accused of backing off too much ? might it be lack of support from in front of them?

Get inbetween man and goal aye, but I wouldn't be leaving that much space in front of him. It's suicide - it screams "Come on then, punish us". He needs to be as close to the attacker as he can get, without compromising his position.

Get inbetween man and goal aye, but I wouldn't be leaving that much space in front of him. It's suicide - it screams "Come on then, punish us". He needs to be as close to the attacker as he can get, without compromising his position.

so is it taylor...is it simpson...or is there a common thread ? why cant we defend down our right......lets not just include the defenders here.

so is it taylor...is it simpson...or is there a common thread ? why cant we defend down our right......lets not just include the defenders here.

For Everton game, it's Taylor. Simpson is the RW and whilst he should be covering, he was caught high up the pitch so it was Taylor's job to close the space.

For Everton game, it's Taylor. Simpson is the RW and whilst he should be covering, he was caught high up the pitch so it was Taylor's job to close the space.

which he did, cut off the route to goal, if the others want to leave someone open the pen spot with time enough to control before hitting thats taylors fault ?

get a grip man!

and good morning to ya.....if you want to carry it on i may be back after when the boat comes in.

which he did, cut off the route to goal, if the others want to leave someone open the pen spot with time enough to control before hitting thats taylors fault ?

get a grip man!

and good morning to ya.....if you want to carry it on i may be back after when the boat comes in.

Where did I say it was Taylor's fault that we couldn't mark?

He cut off the route to the goal but it was pointless. He ran AWAY from the ball and left a ridiculous amount of space between himself and the player - how is that good defending?

The poor marking inevitably cost us the goal, but you can't concede if the ball is in the stand.

We let in more goals through the middle than we do from either side, more than twice as many.

Guest Brazilianbob

More I watch that first goal the more I think Simpson would have stayed out wide to mark Arteta.

Agreed!  That was my first thought as soon as I saw the replay on MOTD.  Taylor just backed off completely.

He was the full back but seemed to have forgotten and as Arteta ran unchallenged down the left, Taylor  took up position as a central defender .  It seems to me that Taylor was probably waiting for the "full back" to jockey Arteta out wide and only realised that that was him when it was too late.

get a grip man!

Where did I say it was Taylor's fault that we couldn't mark?

He cut off the route to the goal but it was pointless. He ran AWAY from the ball and left a ridiculous amount of space between himself and the player - how is that good defending?

The poor marking inevitably cost us the goal, but you can't concede if the ball is in the stand.

you want him to run directly at the ball ? also you can youtube the goal and watch as the ball is going to arteta, taylor goes to the man, he doesn't run away from the ball. he doesn't even back off but just tries to keep between the man and goal. as arteta comes towards him all he can do is stand his ground, which he does. the huge problem with that goal is the centre halves dropping in about 3yds too deep when the everton forwards hold their runs.

also i never said it was good defending...basic defending more like.

We let in more goals through the middle than we do from either side, more than twice as many.

naturally as most play is through the middle. doesn't mean we don't look poor defensivly down our right compared to other areas.

Agreed!  That was my first thought as soon as I saw the replay on MOTD.  Taylor just backed off completely.

He was the full back but seemed to have forgotten and as Arteta ran unchallenged down the left, Taylor  took up position as a central defender .  It seems to me that Taylor was probably waiting for the "full back" to jockey Arteta out wide and only realised that that was him when it was too late.

the slagging off simpson took (wrongly imo) for lennons equaliser may disagree with that line of thinking.

Guest Flatline

Lass at work has the most outrageous ghetto booty I've ever seen. Quite slim in general and this wild massive arse.

In the kind of way that you'd like to spread it though?

:lol: