The Refereeing & Officiating Thread

TheGuv

My main gripe is that they are allowed to hide behind their bad decisions. It wouldn't take much for a 5 min interview post game or in the next couple of days for the ref to explain his decisions if there were any contentious ones.

Guest neesy111

My main gripe is that they are allowed to hide behind their bad decisions. It wouldn't take much for a 5 min interview post game or in the next couple of days for the ref to explain his decisions if there were any contentious ones.

My problem is when they get the basics wrong.  Just simple decisions they get wrong time and time again.

Also consistency of decisions is terrible.

Of course there were major decisions that were wrong 20 years ago. The difference between now and then is just how easy it is to watch and re-watch these mistakes in HD, from multiple angles etc.

No surprise Neesy is flapping his mouth in his typical bi-polar, badly spelt way about something he knows nothing about. If you are a qualified referee then I take it back but I'd be amazed if you are. Webb got the major decisions right yesterday and apart from the sub incident had an alright day. 

Utter tripe.

Insightful stuff.

Mate, I have been watching live football matches since the mid-eighties and referees are no worse now. I'd  put a 'believe me' on the end of that sense but it would clearly be pointless. What are you basing your opinion on out of interest?

I didn't think Webb was too bad tbh.

As for the vendetta, people forget quickly don't they?

I remember the penalty he gave us against the Mackems after Steven Taylor took a dive.

Agree with this.

I doubt the standard of officiating has dropped, I'd say it's more to do with the intense media scrutiny that officials are now under.

That and they're not allowed to take a common sense approach, as if they do and go against what the rulebook says, then they'll be reprimanded by the powers that be.

Although I do think referees appear to be in their own little bubble at times, due to the protection that they get. Not enough of them are man enough to face the media when they've made a mistake.

Even though he got it wrong at the time, I gained a lot of respect for Paul Durkin for coming out after our game at Old Trafford when Shearer should have had a penalty, of course it was highly frustration at the time that he got it wrong, but at least he was man enough to admit that he got it wrong.

I doubt the standard of officiating has dropped, I'd say it's more to do with the intense media scrutiny that officials are now under.

That and they're not allowed to take a common sense approach, as if they do and go against what the rulebook says, then they'll be reprimanded by the powers that be.

Although I do think referees appear to be in their own little bubble at times, due to the protection that they get. Not enough of them are man enough to face the media when they've made a mistake.

Even though he got it wrong at the time, I gained a lot of respect for Paul Durkin for coming out after our game at Old Trafford when Shearer should have had a penalty, of course it was highly frustration at the time that he got it wrong, but at least he was man enough to admit that he got it wrong.

Spot on.

Guest michaelfoster

Didn't see the game.....what did Webb get wrong with the game?

As a referee I don't worry about calls made "in the opinion of the referee"..... only half the game like any call anyway , but I do worry about getting the mechanics of the game correct.  I have seen a few howlers at the local youth levels, but not in the upper leagues.

Got just about everything wrong.

An everton player about to be subbed on wasn't even stripped and this idiot allowed him to come on after a minute of play.  Bad refereeing that was.

Mutliple times when he blew up and made play stop when there was no reason unless the cheat wanted to stop play.

For the sub that was probably the assistants fault, he would have buzzed him using the flag or told Webb over the headset that there was a sub so he blew his whistle

Guest neesy111

As a referee I don't worry about calls made "in the opinion of the referee"..... only half the game like any call anyway , but I do worry about getting the mechanics of the game correct.  I have seen a few howlers at the local youth levels, but not in the upper leagues.

An everton player about to be subbed on wasn't even stripped and this idiot allowed him to come on after a minute of play.  Bad refereeing that was.

Mutliple times when he blew up and made play stop when there was no reason unless the cheat wanted to stop play.

For the sub that was probably the assistants fault, he would have buzzed him using the flag or told Webb over the headset that there was a sub so he blew his whistle

As soon as he saw the player not ready, he should of cancelled the sub at that time.  It took around a minute and a half to get it done.

Guest michaelfoster

As soon as he saw the player not ready, he should of cancelled the sub at that time.  It took around a minute and a half to get it done.

It didn't take a minute and a half ffs, the 4th official had the board ready all the sub had to do was take his tracksuit off. Agree Webb should of made him wait till the next break in play but thats more down to the assistant

I didn't think Webb was too bad tbh.

As for the vendetta, people forget quickly don't they?

I remember the penalty he gave us against the Mackems after Steven Taylor took a dive.

So because of one penalty, he's entitled to have a stinker when he referees us?

I'm sorry like but I know what I saw with my own eyes, his performance wasn't "alright", it was dire.

He wouldn't let the game flow at all, he played right into the hands of Everton players with their persistent time wasting and dropping like flies, and he missed blatant fouls throughout as well (Jonas on the edge of the area comes to mind)

Guest neesy111

It didn't take a minute and a half ffs, the 4th official had the board ready all the sub had to do was take his tracksuit off. Agree Webb should of made him wait till the next break in play but thats more down to the assistant

It did take a minute and a half.

The player wasn't even in his kit when the board went up, and it took almost 30 secs for the player coming off to make it to the touchline.

My problem is when they get the basics wrong.  Just simple decisions they get wrong time and time again.

Also consistency of decisions is terrible.

What do you mean by 'simple decisions'?

Guest neesy111

Phil Dowd has just missed 2 red card offence's within minutes of each other, shocking refereeing.

They're not really simple decisions though are they? They're simple if you're watching them with slow-motion replays, not if you only get one look at it. I'd love to see you try and referee a Premier League football game, you'd be a wreck after 5 minutes.

Guest neesy111

They're not really simple decisions though are they? They're simple if you're watching them with slow-motion replays, not if you only get one look at it. I'd love to see you try and referee a Premier League football game, you'd be a wreck after 5 minutes.

So a wreckless challenge is something that is fine to miss.  Laughable.  The referee also had the best view in the house to look at it.

So a wreckless challenge is something that is fine to miss.  Laughable.  The referee also had the best view in the house to look at it.

Never said it was fine to miss but you seem to have no appreciation of the difficulties and challenges involved in refereeing a football game or any evidence to back up what you're talking about.

I'd like to see a Premier League referee do my job - they couldn't. What's your point? :lol:

Guest neesy111

Never said it was fine to miss but you seem to have no appreciation of the difficulties and challenges involved in refereeing a football game or any evidence to back up what you're talking about.

To get paid around £100k a year for 90 mins work a week, I bloody expect them to get most decisions right.  Also the referee's club when they back each other up despite making howlers every week is pathetic.

To get paid around £100k a year for 90 mins work a week, I bloody expect them to get most decisions right.  Also the referee's club when they back each other up despite making howlers every week is pathetic.

Phil Dowd has just missed 2 red card offence's within minutes of each other, shocking refereeing.

He didn't miss them.

Do you not think they train, have European and cup games, review incidents etc? Arguing with you is so frustrating man :lol:

I'd like to see a Premier League referee do my job - they couldn't. What's your point? :lol:

Just saying everyone seems to be acting as if there's some secret to getting every decision right that refs are overlooking- as long as you have humans refereeing a very quick game there's going to be mistakes made.  I doubt most on here could even pass the fitness test to be a PL referee.

Guest neesy111

Just saying everyone seems to be acting as if there's some secret to getting every decision right that refs are overlooking- as long as you have humans refereeing a very quick game there's going to be mistakes made.  I doubt most on here could even pass the fitness test to be a PL referee.

They wouldn't because they all have JOBS.  I'm sure if i was training 5 days a week my fitness would improve.

How many mistakes does the average player make in the game - overhit passes, passes to no-one, poor first touches, mistimed takles, shots that cannot miss yet do? etc etc.   There has never been a player who has a perfect game, yet referees are expected to be perfect?  Can you imagine what a game would be like if the referee made as many mistakes as the players do?

Teams will miss a dozen chances to score and yet still blame the referee for loosing the game.

Case in point, this week in a local High School game....penalty given in the last 5 minutes to allow a team to tie the game (GK trips player going around the keeper), and it's the referees fault for giving the game away. (Yet somehow they forgot that we waived off one goal for offside on a free kick and declined another PK - worth 2 possible goals).  Yes, far easier to blame the referees than the players who let the other team back into a game when up 2-0.

The 4th official already plays a big part in the game nowadays, especially now that they're all microphoned up.

I know referee's are swayed indirectly by managers on the touchline. So why can't the 4th official play a bigger role with a tv screen :/

Only a matter of time hopefully.

Agreed Guv, the FA should be trying to help ther referees not hamstring them by denying them the use of the same technology that their accusers are using.  Instant replay only highlights the referees errors and yet it sould also help them resove errors.