Players calling for cards - acceptable or not?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If they're both on merit then there's no difference. Tell me why you think it is different. I think you actually agree that both are on the same spectrum.

I think some people just take the fact that many appeals for yellow cards are appeals for the sake of appealing and have thus concluded that all appeals of this sort are without merit, but obviously that's not the most reasonable thing to do.

If they're both on merit then there's no difference. Tell me why you think it is different. I think you actually agree that both are on the same spectrum.

I think some people just take the fact that many appeals for yellow cards are appeals for the sake of appealing and have thus concluded that all appeals of this sort are without merit, but obviously that's not the most reasonable thing to do.

actually i think appealing for free kicks and cards are totally different.

Explain.

for a free kick you get the decision which directly affects the passage of play where as a booking doesn't. also calling for a foul is a lot more instinctive than waving an imaginary card.

Paul Scholes tackle today...it wasn't malicious but very late and ultimately very dangerous. Had a free-kick been given but not a card, do those of you who think it's wrong, believe it would have been, to suggest he should have been sent off?

I do not see why anyone has a problem with this. It is no different than players asking for any other decision. When someone kicks you, you ask for a foul. When someone kicks you repeatedly or with excessive force, you ask for a card. If this actually has an influence on any referee, that person should be relieved of their employment.

Its fucking un profesional and bordering cheating.

Guest Roger Kint

Paul Scholes tackle today...it wasn't malicious but very late and ultimately very dangerous. Had a free-kick been given but not a card, do those of you who think it's wrong, believe it would have been, to suggest he should have been sent off?

Did any City players wave cards at the ref?

I genuinely don't know...

not by a player, no. or should players have the right to tell the ref what they think of every decision ?

Guest Roger Kint

So why ask?

not by a player, no. or should players have the right to tell the ref what they think of every decision ?

It was potentially a leg breaking/career ending tackle, and with the game being played at such a fast pace and in such an intense atmosphere, I personally think it would be unfair to suggest that players should not react by asking for the ultimate penalty to be paid.

So why ask?

Why not ask?

So why ask?

Why not ask?

why ask "so why ask" ?

Guest Roger Kint

So why ask?

Why not ask?

Thread title: Players calling for cards - acceptable or not.

You ask a question completely off topic as to whether people would think the ref got it wrong had he decided different. What actually is your point?

So why ask?

Why not ask?

Thread title: Players calling for cards - acceptable or not.

You ask a question completely off topic as to whether people would think the ref got it wrong had he decided different. What actually is your point?

It's not completely off topic considering it was involving a theoretical discussion about a bad tackle, and whether or not other players have the right to appeal to the referee. It was a perfectly useful example, in order to make my point (about the scenario being key), more clear. This was after all a theoretical discussion anyways, wasn't it?

It was potentially a leg breaking/career ending tackle, and with the game being played at such a fast pace and in such an intense atmosphere, I personally think it would be unfair to suggest that players should not react by asking for the ultimate penalty to be paid.

Not really.

why doesn't it happen in other sports ? why do those partaking leave it to the ref and if he gets it wrong then thats the game ?

Not really.

Yeah it was, could have easily broke his leg going in that high.

There's no corollary to a card to wave about when you want a foul and play continues.  To me that's the distinction.  "appealing" for a foul is more out of exasperation.  asking for a card is like being greedy, since you've already got a free kick out of it. 

re: the scholes thing - dressing up the situation in emotional language and action phrases doesn't mean anything.  your post could have read "it was .. a ... tackle.  I personally think ... players should ... react by asking for the ultimate penalty to be paid."  And it's wrong. 

Not really.

How often do players break their femur? Can't recollect seeing it.

Not really.

or their thigh bone ?

Not really.

or their thigh bone ?