Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Guest Haris Vuckic

gouff is 27?  didn't f***ing know that like

It's the badly thing - like fat people guessing their age can be hard.

Guest neesy111

Ah, the not replacing players myth has resurfaced.

Demba Ba, Leon Best, Peter Lovenkrands.

Replaced by?

Exactly, we needed a striker even before Ba left, now we need 2 considering the mess that Shola was last season.

I'd have Shola as 3rd or 4th choice striker but to have him as number two - in a 'roster' of two - is criminal and it represents criminal underinvestment. As soon as he comes on it's an excuse to lump it.

There's benefits to our transfer policy but there's obvious drawbacks that need to be ironed out. It's a squad game but as a club - under Ashley or the Shepherd we've seldom had a any squad depth.

A lot of people think we should be ''grateful'' to Ashley and I think that's a very silly view to hold. He's no ''Geordie Ambramovich'' like Sir John sold him to us. We had a good january because we had to not because we're ''ambitious''.

:thup:

I still feel there is massive flaws to a transfer policy, mainly to that there is no balance to the squad.

Yeah - again we've got a good first 11 but not great but our problem was last year we didn't see that first 11 - it was a surrogate team pretty much all season and with a lack of a proper footballing system we were easily found out. Pass it about it and if we get no joy get Shola on and lump it.

Last season we had lack of firepower for long spells and lack of capable defensive cover and we all know what that equals.

Yeap, mind the lack of goals in the midfield is a major problem for me along with lack of firepower upfront.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Ah yeh you said Ashley ''gifted'' us the January signings. :lol:

We're in a load of debt. So our financial situation isn't that good at all.

Ashley only spent that money in Jan as he was paranoid about relegation. The irony being that if we'd been higher up and comfortable in the league he likely would not have seen need to strengthen the team.

The not replacing players isn't really a myth as it takes us forever to do it - all down to the way we approach transfers. Cisse was Carroll's replacement, took a year to do so. Ba is yet to be replaced, don't see Gouffran as his replacement at all frankly.

If Colo or Cabaye left I would not have any confidence we have set targets lined up and acceptable bids in place. We simple take forever to get players in in a hugely uninspiring manner to save a bit more cash. As mentioned somewhere else i'm not actually sure how many scouts we have, or if its just Carr doing it all by himself.

Guest Haris Vuckic

We saved a few hundred thousand on Debuchy - but how many points did it cost us?

Aren't we 20th in that football money league?

Guest Haris Vuckic

Aren't we 20th in that football money league?

I was under the impression we owed Mike Ashley a good hundred million or so.

Guest Haris Vuckic

We do, we use our revenue to fund any buys - no cash provided by other quarters, when imo the money is there.

We don't make enough revenue that's the problem. For some reason it's drastically reduced.

Probably down to the fact that sports direct is turning into the clubs second name. We're not a very attractive club from the outside looking in in terms of revenue. Just a cheaply run penny saver.

Guest Haris Vuckic

We should have made the signings in the summer window and there would be no mess to clean up. He was trying to get by spending as little as possible.

It's just an expression, that in no way suggests we should be "grateful" to Ashley. what other terminology should have used?. Also we most likely would have been relegated without those signings. So whatever the motives/financial implications, it pulled us out of the s***.

Our financial situation is better than most, we actually turn a profit. Most PL football clubs are in debt. It's perfectly fine to like some things Ashley does and not others. You just automatically jumped to the most extreme standpoint. I've never said be grateful for Ashley I merely said you cant lay every problem at the football club at his door, particularly not the stuff that happens on the pitch.

Another way of looking at it. Since he's been here we've finished in the top half once. The others have been 12th, relegated, 12th and 16th, the last almost very nearly resulting in relegation again. The club achieves nothing of note and will continue to do so while him and his chump Llambias are at the controls.

Yes Pardew is clueless, quite clearly. But it's Ashley who put him there to begin with.

We should have made the signings in the summer window and there would be no mess to clean up. He was trying to get by spending as little as possible.

This. Last summer was an utter disgrace imo and made Ashley's ambition levels very transparent.

We do, we use our revenue to fund any buys - no cash provided by other quarters, when imo the money is there.

We don't make enough revenue that's the problem. For some reason it's drastically reduced.

Revenue isn't the be all end all of financial info though.  For instance if we still did our own catering our revenue would be quite a bit higher, but that doesn't mean we'd be making more money after costs are taken into consideration (likely the opposite is true considering we decided to outsource it).

Revenue isn't the be all end all of financial info though.  For instance if we still did our own catering our revenue would be quite a bit higher, but that doesn't mean we'd be making more money after costs are taken into consideration (likely the opposite is true considering we decided to outsource it).

You're splitting hairs over a few quid, we bring in £50m a year less than Spurs and I think that's a good reflection of where we both are as clubs.