Yohan Cabaye

I still think our buy to sell policy is a myth, how many players have we actually bought to then sell for a profit? Ba at a push.

I agree but isn't it more our willingness to propagate the notion everyone is for sale at the right price and those prices being bandied about continuously . Especially for our better players, I wouldn't mind hearing obertan is available for 3m more often mind .

I know you aren't allowed to suggest this on here but I am a rebel so fuck it, maybe journalists ask questions?

I doubt Pardew starts press conferences with "Well I will tell you the team news in a minute, but first can I just say if anyone does want to buy Cabaye they will need to match our asking price, now onto tomorrow, Ben Arfa won't be starting".

Poor shitebulb doesn't get a mention as the journalist don't really care about him, our first choice midfielder however...

wengers asked about incomings, everyone knows theres no point asking Pardew about that because he knows as much as we do.

What's the difference between incomings and outgoings?  The answer is no difference and the results will be the same if he refuses to talk about them.

I know you aren't allowed to suggest this on here but I am a rebel so f*** it, maybe journalists ask questions?

I doubt Pardew starts press conferences with "Well I will tell you the team news in a minute, but first can I just say if anyone does want to buy Cabaye they will need to match our asking price, now onto tomorrow, Ben Arfa won't be starting".

Poor shitebulb doesn't get a mention as the journalist don't really care about him, our first choice midfielder however...

Good point, we all know his family will be stoned to death if he refuses to answer a question from a journalist.

Guest strongbow69

I still think our buy to sell policy is a myth, how many players have we actually bought to then sell for a profit? Ba at a push.

I agree but isn't it more our willingness to propagate the notion everyone is for sale at the right price and those prices being bandied about continuously . Especially for our better players, I wouldn't mind hearing obertan is available for 3m more often mind .

What prices have been bandied about continuously?

cabaye 20, tiote 20 after the good season, krull went upto 18, You can say its just paper questions but then you get interviews where pards says cabaye had a fantastic game, great player etc but we wouldn't let him go cheaply as we are tough negotiators. Just the impression I get like  :)

I can't remember any manager here being so willing to talk about our players leaving, I'm not bothered what other managers do at other clubs do.

I've not know a Newcastle manager to have to field so many questions about our players leaving since the Carroll nonsense. Whether that be Jose, Barton, Ba, Tiote, Coloccini, Yohan...

I don't think it's because Pardew wants to talk about it particularly, it's just the first lazy question every journalist asks when players are doing well, or in the case of Colo, rumours of a juicy story just won't die.

He fields so many questions because he's happy to give an answer.  Wenger was asked about transfers yesterday and refused to answer, that was the end of it.

Yep, there's a simple solution to it. :thup:

A simple solution? :lol:

Managers can't be expected to continue to avoid questions about their players.

Wenger is no different. Did he refuse to talk about Van Persie etc potentially going at the time. No, of course he didn't.

I know you aren't allowed to suggest this on here but I am a rebel so f*** it, maybe journalists ask questions?

Good point, we all know his family will be stoned to death if he refuses to answer a question from a journalist.

Asked this before and surprisingly no-one answered but if he says "No comment" I reckon there would be just as much uproar.

He is in a lose-lose situation when it comes to players being sold, he says they have a price and he is actively trying to sell players, refuses to answer and he is hiding something, says they definitely aren't for sale and he is lying like he did with Carroll.

One of the few things I actually have sympathy for him about.

Don't forget that NUFC love the media, Mick. It's well known.

I had forgotten how cosy our relationship is with the media and how we strive to retain a good working relationship with them.

Asked this before and surprisingly no-one answered but if he says "No comment" I reckon there would be just as much uproar.

He is in a lose-lose situation when it comes to players being sold, he says they have a price and he is actively trying to sell players, refuses to answer and he is hiding something, says they definitely aren't for sale and he is lying like he did with Carroll.

He doesn't have to say "No comment," he can simply say that he's not willing to talk about players coming or going until contracts are signed.

He doesn't have to say "No comment," he can simply say that he's not willing to talk about players coming or going until contracts are signed.

Probably the best answer he could give but there is no way he wouldn't be criticised for it.

Probably the best answer he could give but there is no way he wouldn't be criticised for it.

I wouldn't criticise him for it, he was burned with Carroll and that would have had me saying nothing.

Does he get criticised for refusing to talk about potential incomings? Can't remember seeing that.

I can't remember any manager here being so willing to talk about our players leaving, I'm not bothered what other managers do at other clubs do.

I've not know a Newcastle manager to have to field so many questions about our players leaving since the Carroll nonsense. Whether that be Jose, Barton, Ba, Tiote, Coloccini, Yohan...

I don't think it's because Pardew wants to talk about it particularly, it's just the first lazy question every journalist asks when players are doing well, or in the case of Colo, rumours of a juicy story just won't die.

He fields so many questions because he's happy to give an answer.  Wenger was asked about transfers yesterday and refused to answer, that was the end of it.

Yep, there's a simple solution to it. :thup:

A simple solution? :lol:

Managers can't be expected to continue to avoid questions about their players.

Wenger is no different. Did he refuse to talk about Van Persie etc potentially going at the time. No, of course he didn't.

A simple "I'm not prepared to discuss individual transfers, in or out, of this club." would suffice.

If the media or other fans didn't like it then I wouldn't care in the slightest.

Cajun is actually spot on here.

There has been a lot of instances (especially this season) where the narrative of a post-match press conference has been transfer related. He'll be asked about match incidents of course, but I've seen instances in which a string of questions are posed about keeping a particular player or the transfer policy.

It's very rare it digresses to actual tactical discussion or anything deeper and I think he's in a very difficult position because of that. If he states 'no comment' then it's read into, if he says he won't be sold he knows he's making false promises. He has tried deflection before for those curious.

You have to remember that a lot of journalists use these press conferences to get specific quotes that enhance the narratives they wish to write about.

There's been a lot of times especially this season where the narrative of a post-match press conference has been transfer related. He'll be asked about match incidents of course, but I've seen instances in which a string of questions are posed about keeping a particular player or the transfer policy.

It's very rare it digresses to actual tactical discussion or anything deeper and I think he's in a very difficult position because of that. If he states 'no comment' then it's read into, if he says he won't be sold he knows he's making false promises.

You have to remember that a lot of journalists use these press conferences to get specific quotes that enhance the narratives they wish to write about.

Bingo. :thup:

There's been a lot of times especially this season where the narrative of a post-match press conference has been transfer related. He'll be asked about match incidents of course, but I've seen instances in which a string of questions are posed about keeping a particular player or the transfer policy.

It's very rare it digresses to actual tactical discussion or anything deeper and I think he's in a very difficult position because of that. If he states 'no comment' then it's read into, if he says he won't be sold he knows he's making false promises.

He can refuse to answer, he makes a choice not to and that's down to him.  If his words are turned around I'm sure Wendy Taylor will be happy to do something about it.

Does he get criticised for refusing to talk about potential incomings? Can't remember seeing that.

I don't want to be disrespectful but, what? :lol:

Nixon has confirmed my thoughts of how a press conference goes :thup:

You're implying that he'd get grief for saying nothing about outgoings, right? Well he says nothing about incomings and I can't remember him ever getting grief for that.

You're implying that he'd get grief for saying nothing about outgoings, right? Well he says nothing about incomings and I can't remember him ever getting grief for that.

Why would he? This is very 'comparing apples with oranges'.

He can refuse to answer, he makes a choice not to and that's down to him.  If his words are turned around I'm sure Wendy Taylor will be happy to do something about it.

Well that's just it, you can twist the written word quite easily. Quotes can be shortened or strung together with other sections and instantly you get an inaccurate reflection of what's said. I'm not saying these journalists are chronic liars or constantly twisting him into a position of no return. However, with Yohan Cabaye as an example, I've only ever seen Pardew want to discuss his talent and how important a cog he is for the football club.

It's the same with demanding that Wendy Taylor just sort it. When it's in the public domain you can't erase it. If you even try and exact a minute degree of control on the press you're painted as an Orwellian dictator by that very same press.

I do appreciate what you're saying about refusing to comment, but even that is fraught with potential pitfalls. Just evaluate the way those stories are written. They include adjectives in place of quotes. They paint him as 'visibly riled' or 'defiant'.

In my opinion it's best to look at the situation holistically. We're a club that looks to invest in talent with growth potential. We sign players for what we feel is below their true market value. I think we explain this to them. Once we've had the benefit of a good player for a few seasons we entertain bidders and look to maximise our profit margin. It's not ambitious, it's not exciting, but it's how we are at present.

He'd get a hell of a lot of grief if he did.

Especially from the players other clubs and managers I'd imagine.

Why? Transfer dealings are a private matter for the club, not the media. In or out.

Why? Transfer dealings are a private matter for the club, not the media. In or out.

Already expressed my opinion of why the 'no comment' thing wouldn't go down well which Nixon has basically confirmed (I assume he has been to a number of press conferences so knows more than most how they work).

Incoming and outgoing transfers are completely different things to me which is why I struggle to comprehend how they can be compared.

Because rumoured outgoings have a negative effect on the club far more than rumoured incomings. Whether true or not the media and fans want to know about the state of your team and if a players is rumoured to be 'want-away' then as manager you need to answer questions and spell out whatever the situation is. You can't just keep stum and let the story simmer.