Geordie Pride

Guest Howaythetoon

Did he not get offers from Italy at one point?

I remember Juventus wanting him but that was at the time after Euro96 when he joined us ahead of other clubs.....a bit later on Parma were also interested (when they were good).

tbh, if Shearer  knew he was not going to win anything there is no way he would have came here ......but we don't have the benefit of hindsight. Still a legend though.

:clap:

Look at Shearer though.  A NUFC legend, newcastle through and through, stayed loyal to the end.  Even took a stab at management to save us from going down yet how many of our fans look for an excuse to slag him off at any given chance.  It's a disgrace.

Other clubs don't treat their legends like that.  Say bad about things about Totti to a Roma fan and you'd probably get a dig in the mouth.

Not sure I totally agree, Shearer was a legend for his playing days and everything that goes along with it, but there are negatives to his association with us as well.

Obviously there's no reason to slag him off (thought I don't remember anyone ever doing that) but there's also no reason to blindly ignore anything negative.

People are way too sensitive in defending Shearer and Keegan at times. They're both overwhelmingly good for us, and legends, but they're not perfect.

Guest toonlass

Just take a look at the streets of the North East. While Newcastle and Sunderland shirts are the most prominent that you still see on the kids and the family section and it's growth shows that a lot of kids love NUFC, there are massively more Manure, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea shirts out there. And I know that some kids change who they support depending on who is more successful. Local loyalty has diminished with some kids. They don't care about NUFC, so why would they want to play for us?

Also money talks in football. Gone are the days when passion paid enough, pulling on the black and White shirt isn't enough any more. It's the money in the bank that matters.

Guest toonlass

My ex boyfriend is a red from Bootle and it does his head in seeing people in Liverpool shirts up here. I pointed out that half the Liverpool fans are from Norway, a quarter are from Wales and the other quarter are out nicking hubcaps and stereos to afford a match ticket. Was never going to work between us.  :lol:

Absolutely hate seeing Man United, Liverpool etc shirts round Newcastle, especially on kids. Social services issue tbh.

This

Look at Shearer though.  A NUFC legend, newcastle through and through, stayed loyal to the end.  Even took a stab at management to save us from going down yet how many of our fans look for an excuse to slag him off at any given chance.  It's a disgrace.

Other clubs don't treat their legends like that.  Say bad about things about Totti to a Roma fan and you'd probably get a dig in the mouth.

So true though. Blokes a legend in his own right there. The murials are immense in the City

Why you would want to bring your kids up supporting Man U, Liverpool etc is beyond me, unless you are actualy from there (in which case your son actualy has a chance in life with "my family is from there"). Surely your own experiences would ensure you do everything possible to prevent such an event occurring.

I'm probably not the only one who instantly loses all respect for someone in the pub when it's reveiled they support one of those teams. Just cannot take them seriously.

I'm probably not the only one who instantly loses all respect for someone in the pub when it's reveiled they support one of those teams. Just cannot take them seriously.

I do this even though I live in north London and people have a perfect right to support Arsenal and Spurs!

Yeah, it's not just respect for their football knowledge/integrity either. As soon as the Man Utd shirt comes out I can't help but think complete w*****! Rarely do I stand corrected tho  :smug: