Geordie Pride

Guest Howaythetoon

Inter Milan, Barcelona and Arsenal were all after him. I have a book, can't quite remember the title, that claims one of the reasons Shearer fell out with Gullit was because the Duthman was saying to his face he was integral to his plans yet behind his back he was telling the likes of Arsenal, Villa, Liverpool etc. that they can have him for the right price which infuriated Shearer. I know its Alan Oliver but he claims to have walked into a showdown between the two over such an issue.

This is from round about that time:

There always seemed to be stories like that even when he wasn't doing as well post 97 injury and even during his first season here, especially after Keegan left. Barca being mentioned and him joining Sir Bobby.

When Bobby came to Newcastle was when it all quietened down. With Shearer being his his 30s that was that for him. Up until the Liverpool stuff.

There always seemed to be stories like that even when he wasn't doing as well post 97 injury and even during his first season here, especially after Keegan left. Barca being mentioned and him joining Sir Bobby.

When Bobby came to Newcastle was when it all quietened down. With Shearer being his his 30s that was that for him. Up until the Liverpool stuff.

seem to remember Genoa being in for him as well

I think all those that were in for him the Summer before piped up again a couple of months after Keegan left and it looked like we probably weren't going to win the league.

Guest BooBoo

Money and the agents have de-romanticised football to a great degree. You can imagine the agent saying to Carroll in January, "Never mind the number nine shirt here son, just think of the money we'll make at Liverpool."

Heads easily get turned by mega money and the days of the likes of Le Tissier hanging round at a small club, despite the talent, for a career are long gone.

Look at Shearer though.  A NUFC legend, newcastle through and through, stayed loyal to the end.  Even took a stab at management to save us from going down yet how many of our fans look for an excuse to slag him off at any given chance.  It's a disgrace.

Other clubs don't treat their legends like that.  Say bad about things about Totti to a Roma fan and you'd probably get a dig in the mouth.

Look at Shearer though.  A NUFC legend, newcastle through and through, stayed loyal to the end.  Even took a stab at management to save us from going down yet how many of our fans look for an excuse to slag him off at any given chance.  It's a disgrace.

Other clubs don't treat their legends like that.  Say bad about things about Totti to a Roma fan and you'd probably get a dig in the mouth.

they're just a bunch twats with short memories.

EDIT: By that I only mean ronaldo.

And that we were genuine title contenders and playing the best football in the country at the time.

The point I'm trying to make is, would Carroll have pissed off so quickly if we could pay him as much as a contender, were a contender and played ridiculously sweet football? I'd say at the very least it was less likely, and then we'd hail him as Geordie hero.

Guest neesy111

:no:

How about the fact he was one of the main reason's that Souness got the job?  A decision that sent this club back 5+ years.

While Shearer was my Hero, he was at NUFC 2 seasons too long and had far too much power in the dressing room especially when Souness was manager.

:no:

How about the fact he was one of the main reason's that Souness got the job?  A decision that sent this club back 5+ years.

While Shearer was my Hero, he was at NUFC 2 seasons too long and had far too much power in the dressing room especially when Souness was manager.

Souness got the job because about 10 other people turned it down.

Guest andyburn

Since being born I was indoctrinated into being a Newcastle fan. All I wanted to do was play at St. James.  When I realised I had no talent, I still did. I still do.  When I was travelling the world as a seaman for 20 years, I was often put down by other crew members for my passion for my team and my area. When I was in a foreign town I always made a point of trying to visit the local football club, and while there was ALWAYS asked how Newcastle were doing. Thanks to various groundsmen and security guards I've kicked a ball around on the pitches at Ajax, both the old and the new, Feyenoord, Bayern,  Setubal, Marseilles, Palermo, Napoli, the Olympic stadium in Helsinki at minus 20, even the MCG in Melbourne, and hundreds of smaller clubs, every time wearing my team's shirt. The stick Shay receives on the forum is bad, I mean the bloke isn't from England, never mind Newcastle, but Carroll is.  Waving a big pay offer in front of him was enough to forget his upbringing and I hope he breaks every bone in his body soon. No pride, no passion for his area.

Surely hundreds of thousands of kids would walk over hot coals to play for Newcastle Utd?

The problem is when they make it, the reality of the football business bites. Either cheaper imported players block their progress, they aren't good enough anyway, or in rare cases like Carroll they're too good and someone else comes in and takes them.

Still think what Carroll did was disgusting and totally impossible to understand. Why any Geordie kid would put money ahead of wearing the number 9 I just can't understand. The only consolation is that he isn't very bright and probably doesn't really understand the full extent of what he did.

Carroll and Henderson are two slightly above average players that sold for world class prices, don't think either club has become a farm for selling our best young players just yet, those 2 were just hugely over priced and at the point of stupid not to sell

Still think what Carroll did was disgusting and totally impossible to understand. Why any Geordie kid would put money ahead of wearing the number 9 I just can't understand. The only consolation is that he isn't very bright and probably doesn't really understand the full extent of what he did.

:sadnod:

Carroll and Henderson are two slightly above average players that sold for world class prices, don't think either club has become a farm for selling our best young players just yet, those 2 were just hugely over priced and at the point of stupid not to sell

Agree completely with this.

Guest BooBoo

Both Newcastle and Sunderland did very well out of both deals. Having said that, the fans have lost out terribly as opposed to a local lad that they can root for, both clubs will no doubt spend some of the money on foreign players who may give the clubs a couple of good years before wanting to move on. Its sentimental but in football, there's little better than seeing one of your own come through and succeed. Compare that to little shit bags like Hernandez at Man Utd kissing his badge when he'd struggle to tell you the first thing about the club and city he represents.

Thats why I'm struggling to really get excited about spending the Carroll cash, as good as players as Cabaye may be, they dont have any true feel for the club and will in all liklihood view a move to NUFC as a stepping stone to one of the top four clubs. Its the way football has gone nowadays and it stinks. I even recall a few seasons agon when Portsmouth signed Diarra and in his unveiling press conference said "I'm happy to be here but hopefully I can move to a big club within a few years."

Carroll was more than just "above average" like, and although Henderson has looked nowt more than a capable midfielder at his best when ever I saw him, he is only 20 and has over 70 Premiership appearances.

Deffinatly not worth there price tags, but it's still sad to see young local prospects leave for the 'bigger boys'.

:clap: