Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Guest neesy111

Karelse

S Taylor  S Caldwell  Cacapa  Serrant

Cordone  Dumas  Disco Des  Glass

Cort  Smith

Bit unfair to include Glass, he was ok imo.

Should have slipped in Garry Brady instead.

Glass scored some important goals coming off the bench I seem to remember.

Man Utd (H) 1-1 springs to mind, a SBR triple special.

Think he may have scored in a European tie too. Him and Cordone definitely came on. Maybe Cordone scored too?

We weren't in Europe while Cordone was here.

Ah were we not? Must have been a mid week tie then. I'm sure it was dark.

Probably a different game but Cordone scored in the first game at the fully extended ground against Derby. Twas a night match.

1st game as a ST holder for me that game.

Guest neesy111

Weird signing, Cordone. Wonder how it came about.

Seems he made a decent career for himself.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/11/article-1205779-0046F46F00000258-181_233x423.jpg

Karelse

Cort  Smith

Think he may have scored in a European tie too. Him and Cordone definitely came on. Maybe Cordone scored too?

You not thinking of Silvio Maric? Went his first year without scoring then finally got one in Europe.

Bassedas was weird too, total flop.  Can remember Robson having a chap behind the scenes recommending these South American players and getting sacked off.

Bassedas was weird too, total flop.  Can remember Robson having a chap behind the scenes recommending these South American players and getting sacked off.

Mick Wadsworth weren't it?

My mate who used to live in Argentina met Bassedas once, said he was a really nice guy. Sporting director at Velez these days.

Guest neesy111

Gavilan, Bassedas, Acuna and Wadsworth.

Acuna looked a good player.

Karelse

Cort  Smith

We weren't in Europe while Cordone was here.

Ah were we not? Must have been a mid week tie then. I'm sure it was dark.

Probably a different game but Cordone scored in the first game at the fully extended ground against Derby. Twas a night match.

EDIT: aye Glass scored n all, as did your username.

Great night all round.

Guest Howaythetoon

Seamus

Venison  Albert  Colo  Bernard

Solano  Dyer  Speed  Robert

Beardsley ©

Shearer

Seamus

Venison  Albert  Colo  Bernard

Solano  Dyer  Speed  Robert

Beardsley ©

Shearer

Exciting team...

Me?

Given

Beye Woodgate Colo Enrique

Solano Cabye Lee Sellars

Beardsley Cole

But I could easily change it to...

Shay

Venison Colo Albert Beresford

Solano Lee Beardsley Ginola

Shearer Ferdinand

Nicky Butt relegation season is the worst centre-mid (again, who had more than the odd game), by the by.

Smith and Butt. Worst of the worst of the worst. It's true that - in PL history - there have been worse collections of players relegated (or even survived) than our '09 mob, but when you consider the likes of those two played most games, it's telling.

Butt, as desperately shite as he was, at least tried whereas Smith was just as shite but the cowardly useless fucker did his best to hide as much as possible. Except when it came to lunging into tackles, which is also just fucking cowardly. God, I hate him, absolutely fucking useless prick.

I liked Barton too, tbf, but his only prolonged spell where he looked better than average/shit came on the right-wing. And that was a time when we were fairly one-dimensional and played fairly direct a lot of the time. Barton-Nolan-Carroll worked well for a stretch of time but there was never any longevity to it, and it was combated by better sides.

I don't think we got the best out of him playing him wide, because he lacked pace. His best position is in midfield in a 4-3-3 - a formation we didn't often see when he was with us.

As for him being average / shit - I'm not having that. When he wasn't in jail, suspended or injured, he had a real impact on the side. He played a big part in saving us from going down in Keegan's first season. It usually gets attributed to the tactical switch of playing Owen deep, but the upturn in form also coincides with Joey's return to the team. The following season, I think we'd have stayed up if it wasn't for him getting himself banned for the final three games.

Moving ahead, his absence from QPR coincided with their going down.

Whether he's ultimately worth the trouble to a manager is another matter, but if you're picking a hypothetical side based on ability, he's a candidate. It hasn't helped his reputation that both with us and elsewhere he's never played in a good side, but that's almost entirely his fault. He had the talent to do much better.

PS - Also depends on which system you go for. Most people seem to have gone for a four-man midfield with two wingers, which wouldn't be the best for Barton.

I liked Barton too, tbf, but his only prolonged spell where he looked better than average/shit came on the right-wing. And that was a time when we were fairly one-dimensional and played fairly direct a lot of the time. Barton-Nolan-Carroll worked well for a stretch of time but there was never any longevity to it, and it was combated by better sides.

I don't think we got the best out of him playing him wide, because he lacked pace. His best position is in midfield in a 4-3-3 - a formation we didn't often see when he was with us.

As for him being average / shit - I'm not having that. When he wasn't in jail, suspended or injured, he had a real impact on the side. He played a big part in saving us from going down in Keegan's first season. It usually gets attributed to the tactical switch of playing Owen deep, but the upturn in form also coincides with Joey's return to the team. The following season, I think we'd have stayed up if it wasn't for him getting himself banned for the final three games.

Moving ahead, his absence from QPR coincided with their going down.

Whether he's ultimately worth the trouble to a manager is another matter, but if you're picking a hypothetical side based on ability, he's a candidate. It hasn't helped his reputation that both with us and elsewhere he's never played in a good side, but that's almost entirely his fault. He had the talent to do much better.

Come off it man, I liked Barton but in a Premier League era XI, he's far down the list both as a winger and a central player.