Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Whilst Coloccini reads the game better and is a far better footballer than our other defenders it most certainly wouldn't cost the earth for a CB who'd be equally valuable.

Who did you have in mind? I can't think of a viable option who has the experience and class of Colo.

A solid, physical defender who isn't bad on the ball and can score the odd goal is all we need. Obviously Colo's class is nice to look at and often gets us out of touble without surrendering possession but there's nothing to say we need the exact same type of defender.

A solid, physical defender who isn't bad on the ball and can score the odd goal is all we need. Obviously Colo's class is nice to look at and often gets us out of touble without surrendering possession but there's nothing to say we need the exact same type of defender.

That's exactly the type of defender we need, Colo will be gone and I think MYM can fill his shoes when he gets a run of games under him. We need a beast of a defender and have for a very very long time.

Yes. If the plan is for MYM to come into the side we need presence, physicality, set piece ability and general assertiveness. Shawcross is the defender I'd go for but he's likely to be way out of our price range.

Absolutely hate Shawcross, he's not too bad a player but his discipline and general cunt-ness means I'd rather look elsewhere. If MYM is a long term project, which is likely, then you're definitely right about the type of player we need. Basically we need an upgrade on Williamson. A quicker and stronger version but someone with height is going to be imperative alongside MYM.

Guest Howaythetoon

Benteke is on the ball in our final third towards the corner flag. Colo jockeying him, trying to stay with him, the Belgium tries to 'drop him' by turning him inside out, Colo doesn't fall for it though and stays with his man. Eventualy winning the ball and turning Benteke himself, who in frustration basically man handles his man. The result, a free kick to us, Colo 1-0 Benteke. Colo is the best defender we've had in over 50 years. Its juts a shame in his time he's played for a generally shitty NUFC side. Even though it was Villa and the two of us are s****, he stood out massively. The man is composed, assured, confident and above all else, f***ing classy.

I'm loving the praise Colo is getting on here now compared to the finished defender we made him out to be a four a few months ago. Was talked about on the Red/Blue night out how we made it sound like he wasn't fit for league 1 with that talk of Long tearing him apart like Colo never had a chance.

Great to see him back in action and getting the praise he rightly deserves. As player and as a leader, may have had personal issues off the pitch but his commitment on it has never been in doubt.

Mym should be the future though and like people are saying a physical presence alongside him is a must. As good as Williamson has been, we still need an upgrade. Taylor can just fuck off and never return...think we all would agree on that one.

Imperious. Not only is he a great defender but his class has a catalyst effect on the others around him, making them look better too.

There's a feature in the Newcastle programme in which players name a team the best eleven players they've played with. There's some pretty serious contenders to choose from their former clubs and international teams but I don't think I've seen one where Colo wasn't included.

Not only does he impress most of us but it seems like he impresses those who really matter too.

Some think he's on the wane but I reckon there's another season or two of him being a top player. It's not like his game was ever built around pace or aerial/physical domination.

Colo has regressed the past two or three years.  However on his day he can produce fab performances as yesterday. And we look far better with him in the side.

It's a shame Brett is bumping his gums and tempting fate to the nth degree when you consider who we play next.

Guest bimpy474

Colo has regressed the past two or three years.  However on his day he can produce fab performances as yesterday. And we look far better with him in the side.

It's a shame Brett is bumping his gums and tempting fate to the nth degree when you consider who we play next.

Oh god don't go down the road of Shane Long, Bretty boy will tell you last time we played Colo didn't get ripped a new one by him. True tbf like, but please don't start him off :lol:

People say he can't deal with the physical players as well, so what's Benteke if he isn't physical and isn't pacey? I'd have him over Long any day of the week. Jelavic and Long are in good form, posing a good partnership threat since their arrival and it should be a good battle. Colo and Williamson will have to be on their game but I'm not fearing their two strikers, we pose just as much threat with Remy, if not more of a threat.

People say he can't deal with the physical players as well, so what's Benteke if he isn't physical and isn't pacey? I'd have him over Long any day of the week. Jelavic and Long are in good form, posing a good partnership threat since their arrival and it should be a good battle. Colo and Williamson will have to be on their game but I'm not fearing their two strikers, we pose just as much threat with Remy, if not more of a threat.

Their forwards are in good form, but it's their central midfield I worry about. Livermore and Huddlestone are bossing it at the moment, and we really should be playing with 3 in the middle to get the best out of Anita, and have a go at their 3 at the back.

Their forwards are in good form, but it's their central midfield I worry about. Livermore and Huddlestone are bossing it at the moment, and we really should be playing with 3 in the middle to get the best out of Anita, and have a go at their 3 at the back.

Aye, got to say Brucey has done a very good job and made some very astute signings.

Aye, got to say Brucey has done a very good job and made some very astute signings.

:ben:

Poor b****** always gets brought up when I'm around  :lol: bless the c***  :aww:

He is dirty but him and Huth have been fairly solid over the years for Stoke. We've lacked someone with that sort of physicality for a long time. If it means a couple of leg breaks or cheap shots down the line, so be it  ;)

He's a slight better version of Williamson given that he is a bit more aggressive but would cost the best part of £10m. He was protected by Pulis' ultra neg style, he's been poor this season and was merked by Zlatan for England.