What's happened to the Dyer detractors?

Syrette

Don't understand why people are getting their hopes up so much about Dyer... he's doing as well as he always does. But give it another 5 games and he'll be out again.

Exactly mate.......one decent game doesn't detract from the fact that he's a horrible little overpaid malingering shite hawk.

For £4m a year, it's not exactly asking a lot of him to actually play well once in a while.

Agree -  NOBODY has doubted Dyer's ability, but just because he's played a couple of good games in 2 years does NOT make everything right about him as an asset to the club.

He is grossly-overpaid and by some on this board, over-rated - if you want to know why those of us who criticise him do so , I suggest you look at the performance of Paul Scholes for Man U since his return from injury ; here is a player older than Dyer who your hero once famously stated should be removed from the England side so HE could play - immediately after Dyer's claim, Scholes, who NEVER comments or gets himself into off-field scrapes, went out on to the field at SJP and rammed Dyer's cocky words right down his throat after orchestrating a 6-2 hammering in front of our own fans. Some of you guys seem to have forgotten all this - if I had the choice, I would swap Dyer for Scholes in an instant, regardless of Scholes' age. You would STILL get more value-years out of Scholes than you will from Dyer.

So , to answer your question, we ' Dyer detractors' as you put it, have NOT gone away ; once Dyer has completed 3 full seasons without breaking down, getting involved in off-field controversy, or protesting about which position he plays in, then maybe those of us who think that way may reconsider...

Guest sittingontheball

He's played so little and (supposedly) earned so much these past couple of years that people are bound to be worried about him.  His off-the-field antics don't help either.

Like Jenas, he always looks completely ineffective when playing for England. All you get is short square passes. Talk about going into your shell.

In the past two seasons, he's looked great and showed real signs of making things happen.  Yesterday and that game where Owen scored last year, for example. Aside from the injuries and general stroppiness, his main problem as a player over the years has been lack of end product for all that potential.  On the last glimpses we've had, he seems to be overcoming that at last.

Yesterday and the Arse goal were great. More of the same please!

Dyer totally overhauls our midfield when he is dropping off with his little one-two's and quick short passing. At the moment he is a huge asset with his running and taking on players. Seems to be more composed than I've ever known him and currenltly willing to give his all. I have been one of his critics yes, but only cause I expect so much form him. blueyes.gif

People who are calling him average need to be a bit fairer to the player. If he goes on to play the next 20 games like the last 2 we will be the stronger for it.

Seems to have a free role atm which I would happily give Roeder credit for. Think about it if Martins started displaying half the movement of Dyer he's be a completely different player.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Dyer totally overhauls our midfield when he is dropping off with his little one-two's and quick short passing. At the moment he is a huge asset with his running and taking on players. Seems to be more composed than I've ever known him and currenltly willing to give his all. I have been one of his critics yes, but only cause I expect so much form him. blueyes.gif

People who are calling him average need to be a bit fairer to the player. If he goes on to play the next 20 games like the last 2 we will be the stronger for it.

Seems to have a free role atm which I would happily give Roeder credit for. Think about it if Martins started displaying half the movement of Dyer he's be a completely different player.

never happen

Dyer saying in an interview how he does not even think about his hamstrings anymore, they are now  in no way a concern to him. Great news if he feels that confident about his fittness, credit to Roeder for giving Kieron all the propper time he needed to get propperly fit.  :thup:

Hero Dyer's a cut above

Nov 27 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Kieron Dyer led Newcastle United to victory over Portsmouth at St James' Park and then joked: "Hamstrings? What hamstrings?"

But while Dyer says his hamstrings are not a problem, he limped out of the ground clutching a magnum of champagne for his man-of-the-match display with a deep leg gash.

As a result, his plea to Glenn Roeder to play in the final UEFA Cup group match against Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany on Thursday is likely to fall on deaf ears.

There has been criticism from people who did not know the true story of why it has taken Dyer so long to get back into action after his latest hamstring problems.

But the way the England international came back on to the field with a nasty and deep gash on his leg typifies the spirit that Roeder and his coaches Nigel Pearson, Lee Clark and Terry McDermott have instilled into their injury-ravaged squad.

And, speaking of the incident when he went clattering into the hoardings behind the goal, Dyer said: "I was running on the ball and I tensed up.

"I knew the barrier was coming and I caught it at the wrong angle.

"I slit my leg open but it was never going to keep me off the pitch.

"There were no stitches, it is just really deep. I needed it cleaned out and a piece of skin removed. Hopefully it will clear up."

Talking of his general fitness, Dyer added: "I don't think I will feature against Frankfurt but I expect to be playing in our next Premiership match against Reading at St James' Park a week on Wednesday.

"For me it is one step at a time, but if it wasn't for my cut leg I would be up for playing against Frankfurt.

"My hamstrings aren't on my mind any more. At the end I was still running and that's a good sign. I feel strong and I just want to play."

United have only lost one of their last nine games, but at the same time the victory over Portsmouth was their first in 10 Premiership matches.

Dyer observed: "This was a massive win for us. I said earlier in the week that we needed to make this place a fortress and now we have pulled off two wins.

"That shows we are going in the right direction. It wasn't just the result that was pleasing, it was the performance as well.

"Everyone worked the ball and the score could have been a lot higher. There were no nerves. We didn't sit back - we went for it.

"David James pulled off a few saves but it was a good days' work.

"We have turned the corner a bit now."

On the club's latest injuries worries over Scott Parker, James Milner and Charles N'Zogbia, Dyer added: "I don't know what it is at this club - when you get two players back another three get injured.

"It could be a big blow for Scott, but if we show the character we have in recent games we can get through it."