The Strawberry Corner

Crumpy Gunt

In relation to the away end debate, I believe premier league rules state it has to be 3,000 or 10% of the ground's capacity. 

We should have just increased the away end by 200 seats as oppose to 1,200.

That's not as easy as it sounds as 200 seats is only about 10 columns of seats rather than a complete section which is easier to police.

Guest Roger Kint

Nowhere did I say they were heroes, I said they were entitled to make a stand and if effecting those 'superior' fans from the South East corner is the only way they get heard then so be it.

Like I said, I don't necessarily condone it but I don't blame them for doing it. Why don't you read peoples opinions properly instead of being a patronising t*** to anyone who opposes your opinion?

I read it just right as you confirmed, you admit you think people are entitled to go pissing off innocent fans because they and you are selfish pricks at a football match, there is no making a stand or superior fans as you call them its plain and simply twatery to act like that under the laughable excuse of being heard. If you think its my being patroniosing because you find simple things like respect and decency beyond you then fine i will continue to be a patronising twat to arseholes thanks very much.

In the meantime:

At the Fulham game, I was stood to begin with as people in front and behind were. I got told from behind ten minutes in "Sit the f*** down man" is that any respect to have for a fellow fan - I think not. If I knew who it was he rightly would have got verbal abuse. All it would have took was "Can you sit down please mate?" But no I was subject to twattery immediately.

There's a complete and utter lack of respect for those who have came from Level 7 and are behaving themselves - so f*** off with your patronising bullshit about how we should respect others. I will be respectful, and have been so far, but the more I get treat like s*** by those around me, the more I'll give it back - simple.

Did it ever in your mind occur to you that you were showing a lack of respect first by deliberately standing?

Nowhere did I say they were heroes, I said they were entitled to make a stand and if effecting those 'superior' fans from the South East corner is the only way they get heard then so be it.

Like I said, I don't necessarily condone it but I don't blame them for doing it. Why don't you read peoples opinions properly instead of being a patronising t*** to anyone who opposes your opinion?

I read it just right as you confirmed, you admit you think people are entitled to go pissing off innocent fans because they and you are selfish pricks at a football match, there is no making a stand or superior fans as you call them its plain and simply twatery to act like that under the laughable excuse of being heard. If you think its my being patroniosing because you find simple things like respect and decency beyond you then fine i will continue to be a patronising t*** to arseholes thanks very much.

In the meantime:

At the Fulham game, I was stood to begin with as people in front and behind were. I got told from behind ten minutes in "Sit the f*** down man" is that any respect to have for a fellow fan - I think not. If I knew who it was he rightly would have got verbal abuse. All it would have took was "Can you sit down please mate?" But no I was subject to twattery immediately.

There's a complete and utter lack of respect for those who have came from Level 7 and are behaving themselves - so f*** off with your patronising bullshit about how we should respect others. I will be respectful, and have been so far, but the more I get treat like s*** by those around me, the more I'll give it back - simple.

Did it ever in your mind occur to you that you were showing a lack of respect first by deliberately standing?

Hear bloody hear.  :clap:

I read it just right as you confirmed, you admit you think people are entitled to go pissing off innocent fans because they and you are selfish pricks at a football match, there is no making a stand or superior fans as you call them its plain and simply twatery to act like that under the laughable excuse of being heard. If you think its my being patroniosing because you find simple things like respect and decency beyond you then fine i will continue to be a patronising t*** to arseholes thanks very much.

In the meantime:

They're entitled to make a stand, albeit that is not the method I'd choose. As I've said numerous times; being a dick to an 80year old woman isn't acceptable by any stretch of the imagination but to stand up is. Whilst again, I wouldn't block an old womans view, or anyones for that matter, I don't think it's particularly offensive.

How is it a lack of respect to stand when to your knowledge the person behind you is standing and the person in front is also, are you out of your fucking mind?

There clearly is a divide in our support. Whether it be ageist or what ?I cannot quite put my finger on it, and yeah it is the rest of the ground and them from Level 7. There is a minority of each group (if you like) who think they're above the rest, and from what I can gather your one of the minority of the majority I.e a super fan from the rest of the ground

Your trying your hardest to make out that everyone from Level 7 is selfish, and has no decency when actually most do. Your just trying to make a stereotype of the type of people who were up there and making the assumption that these are the exact same people who have been abusing people.Which is a load of bullshit.

I clearly do have decency and respect hence the fact I sat down when I realised those behind me were. So get your fucking facts right.

I just understand why people should be pissed off from Level 7 and it pisses me off more that fellow fans like yourself cannot seem to grasp why they might be angry. You sucking off the fat cockney twat for a cheeky fiver every week or something?

Going to a football match in England (certainly at the top level) is quite the joke, tbh. I struggle to imagine any other countries in or outside Europe with such a restriction on standing.. Other countries have large proportions of their grounds standing every week and no one is hurt or killed- and because of this, the atmosphere is generally a whole lot better when there are large standing areas, I think that's just a fact.

As has been stated, people are allowed to stand at rugby matches and various other sporting events- for god sake people even stand before and at half time during matches! So how is it a 'danger' at a football match? I just find it so, so frustrating how ignorant the authorities are to the concept of safe standing. Even since the introduction of all seated stadia in Britain thousands of fans have stood every week, yet there have been no catastrophes! So I would love them to  give us some answer to how safe standing will not enhance a matchday experience! With the technology they have now it is more than possible to keep crowd numbers under control.

Also, it would end tension between fans with different perceptions on how one should enjoy a match day and we wouldn't have ridiculous endless-bickering threads like this one!

Going to a football match in England (certainly at the top level) is quite the joke, tbh. I struggle to imagine any other countries in or outside Europe with such a restriction on standing.. Other countries have large proportions of their grounds standing every week and no one is hurt or killed- and because of this, the atmosphere is generally a whole lot better when there are large standing areas, I think that's just a fact.

As has been stated, people are allowed to stand at rugby matches and various other sporting events- for god sake people even stand before and at half time during matches! So how is it a 'danger' at a football match? I just find it so, so frustrating how ignorant the authorities are to the concept of safe standing. Even since the introduction of all seated stadia in Britain thousands of fans have stood every week, yet there have been no catastrophes! So I would love them to  give us some answer to how safe standing will not enhance a matchday experience! With the technology they have now it is more than possible to keep crowd numbers under control.

Also, it would end tension between fans with different perceptions on how one should enjoy a match day and we wouldn't have ridiculous endless-bickering threads like this one!

Fair point. :thup:

I'll still bicker though, if needs be.  :lol:

:lol: There's two sides to every story, however with both sides so ardent in this one as to who's right, we'll be here for another 100+ pages and still have to agreement.

Personally I think if the club could just for once learn the golden rule of 'if it's not broken then don't fix it', then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I haven't gotten to a game with my season ticket yet, but I'll be at the next one and the rest. If the atmosphere really is that unsavoury amongst our own supporters I really think I'll just move to the back of the Gallowgate. Sounds fairly hassle free to sing and stand there...

:lol: There's two sides to every story, however with both sides so ardent in this one as to who's right, we'll be here for another 100+ pages and still have to agreement.

Personally I think if the club could just for once learn the golden rule of 'if it's not broken then don't fix it', then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I haven't gotten to a game with my season ticket yet, but I'll be at the next one and the rest. If the atmosphere really is that unsavoury amongst our own supporters I really think I'll just move to the back of the Gallowgate. Sounds fairly hassle free to sing and stand there...

So far - I reckon I'll be doing the exact same thing next season. I missed Arsenal because of a wedding but the Fulham atmosphere was shite.

Guest Roger Kint

There clearly is a divide in our support. Whether it be ageist or what ?I cannot quite put my finger on it, and yeah it is the rest of the ground and them from Level 7. There is a minority of each group (if you like) who think they're above the rest, and from what I can gather your one of the minority of the majority I.e a super fan from the rest of the ground

Your trying your hardest to make out that everyone from Level 7 is selfish, and has no decency when actually most do. Your just trying to make a stereotype of the type of people who were up there and making the assumption that these are the exact same people who have been abusing people.Which is a load of bullshit.

You still dont get it, this isnt a L7 thing against the world you fucking clown its arseholes against normal fans. YOU are the one bringing the whole of L7 into an issue where a minority of fans chose to disrespect everyone around you. There were 150 fans in that article, 150 out of how many i ask? I am not as thick as you to claim or blame where the people come from only that these arseholes are the blame not the whole of L7. Is this sinking in yet? You try and force a battle between us and them where its not there.

I beg of you to show where i have tried my hardest to make out that everyone from Level 7 is selfish. Go on try it because i havent, a few pages back is matty's version of what is going on. A well spoken and respectful lad from L7 wouldnt you know who i wholeheartedly agree with. Its dickheads unable to grasp the fact of standing  i have spoken of NEVER all of L7 so stop being a tit and start reading, i dont give a fucking shit where you come from, whether new fan/gallowgate/milburn/whatever none of it changes the fact you are twats affecting other people from enjoying the match.

Oh and another flaw in your argument, i no longer go to games but even if i still did the ability to sit down and not piss off those around me will never make me a super fan no matter how much you try and push that title on me. There lies in all of us the crazy ability just to be fucking NORMAL and enjoy football yet you tar them as superior because your mind cant handle being in the wrong on this issue.

You still dont get it, this isnt a L7 thing against the world you f***ing clown its arseholes against normal fans. YOU are the one bringing the whole of L7 into an issue where a minority of fans chose to disrespect everyone around you. There were 150 fans in that article, 150 out of how many i ask? I am not as thick as you to claim or blame where the people come from only that these arseholes are the blame not the whole of L7. Is this sinking in yet? You try and force a battle between us and them where its not there.

I beg of you to show where i have tried my hardest to make out that everyone from Level 7 is selfish. Go on try it because i havent, a few pages back is matty's version of what is going on. A well spoken and respectful lad from L7 wouldnt you know who i wholeheartedly agree with. Its dickheads unable to grasp the fact of standing  i have spoken of NEVER all of L7 so stop being a tit and start reading, i dont give a f***ing s*** where you come from, whether new fan/gallowgate/milburn/whatever none of it changes the fact you are twats affecting other people from enjoying the match.

Oh and another flaw in your argument, i no longer go to games but even if i still did the ability to sit down and not p*ss off those around me will never make me a super fan no matter how much you try and push that title on me. There lies in all of us the crazy ability just to be f***ing NORMAL and enjoy football yet you tar them as superior because your mind cant handle being in the wrong on this issue.

Just because what I'm arguing for isn't the norm it doesn't make it wrong for a start.

Matty is a good lad who obviousy knows what he is talking about, I agree.

The reason I tarred you as a superior fan is because you think that just because people stand they're f***ing arseholes. Of course they're not unless they're blocking someones view. Even if they were they're doing it to make a point and a very valid point at that. It is not normal to be told you're not allowed to stand, but we get told that. I don't want to block anyones views but at the end of the day if the club hadn't unnecessarily moved people there wouldn't be an issue. The club is at fault for all of this, no-one else.

There's been an assumption made that all these 150 were from Level 7 and were 'Ultras' which is another thing that's totally incorrect. (Not saying that was you who said that mind.) So it becomes an us and them scenario. Us being the lads and lasses from Level 7 and them being the'normal' fans. Well to me, there is nothing normal about turning up 5minutes late, complaining about people standing, leaving 5minutes before half time for coffee and a snack then leaving ten minutes before full-time. That's not NORMAL. The lads standing and singing are doing what all the majority of football fans have done, still do and will do for years simply because there's not a good enough reason why they shouldn't.

Also, I like the way you tar me as a t*** for sitting down and singing to get behind my team, which is exactly what I did versus Fulham. Tell me that isn't respectful and doing the right thing?

For the record, it was my first game in my seat in that corner, and to be honest I got on with several people who already sat there, so I'm not one of 'those' arseholes - I just understand why those 'arseholes' are being 'arseholes'. same way as you understand someone being a t*** to me, for doing f*** all wrong.

There's clearly a total clash in opinion here, but all I can say is, the majority would want a safe standing area and/or singing section, where people could go who were likeminded and enjoy their matchday experience whether it be standing or sitting. St James' Park had a singing section, it had an atmosphere, and it had character. It was hard for teams to come here. So the club are the ones to blame here, all round, regardless of which angle you look at it from.

Odd isn't it - the generation that grew up going to games and standing up want to sit, and the generation that grew up sitting down want to stand

It's because we remember how shit it was being squashed, pushed, having a big fence in front of you making it hard to see the game, bogs overflowing with piss and also having no roof.

I personally also remember breaking my arm in a melee at the front of the gallowgate following a goal and subsequently always going in the benches instead of the gallowgate prior to getting a ST in the east stand in 1982.

Guest Roger Kint

There's clearly a total clash in opinion here, but all I can say is, the majority would want a safe standing area and/or singing section, where people could go who were likeminded and enjoy their matchday experience whether it be standing or sitting. St James' Park had a singing section, it had an atmosphere, and it had character. It was hard for teams to come here. So the club are the ones to blame here, all round, regardless of which angle you look at it from.

Apologise now for ignoring the rest even though its more than you deserve tbh. Safe standing isnt going to happen ever, get over it end of, whether its you(depending on which post you make) or anyone else its nothing to do with the club. You choose how to watch the game and how others are stuck with your choice.

Apologise now for ignoring the rest even though its more than you deserve tbh. Safe standing isnt going to happen ever, get over it end of, whether its you(depending on which post you make) or anyone else its nothing to do with the club. You choose how to watch the game and how others are stuck with your choice.

The rule is wrong, just because its the 'rule' doesent mean everyone should shrug their should & accept it. What would the world come to if anything was accepted because it had been imposed as the rule? Like minded fans should get together and stand if they want, without obstructing others who dont want to. Thats where the problem is in the corner obviously, and those fans with people behind wanting to sit should sit too, but the aim should always be to work together and help each other have the match day experience they want - just like how Level 7 evolved. Like i said, if the corner doesnt work out, perhaps the back of the gallowgate would work better.

I want to stand.

You're not allowed.

We used to be able to stand.

Not any more.

They stand, so I am.

We'll take away your ticket.

Don't care I want to stand.

You're not allowed.

I'll move to a different part of the ground and stand there.

You're not allowed.

Not any more.

They should bring back standing

Not happening.

It'll go in eventually.  :banghead:

I want to stand.

You're not allowed.

Not any more.

They stand, so I am.

You're not allowed.

You're not allowed.

Not any more.

Not happening.

It'll go in eventually.  :banghead:

It will go in eventually to accept a total con, shut up and do what your told regardless if the explanation given dosent make sense?? Do you not realise that things change when people make things happen, and not accept rubbish because theyre told to? Even the perfectly plausable notion of fans finding a spot in the ground to stand together - like most grounds in the Premier League  - without causing bother to anyone else, is something that should be dismissed?? Even though it happened with Level 7.

It's the LAW. Why can't you people see that. The Taylor Report outlawed standing areas at top and second flight football nearly 20 years ago. That's why we have all seater stadia in the top 2  leagues.:angry:

I would like to see standing areas back too but it ain't gonna happen .

Guest Micktoon

It's the LAW. Why can't you people see that. The Taylor Report outlawed standing areas at top and second flight football nearly 20 years ago. That's why we have all seater stadia in the top 2  leagues.:angry:

Exactly, it's the LAW. If you steal a jacket in top shop and get lifted for it, you can't use the excuse that you stole one in burtons and got away with it.

I want to stand.

You're not allowed.

Not any more.

They stand, so I am.

You're not allowed.

You're not allowed.

Not any more.

Not happening.

It'll go in eventually.  :banghead:

:lol:

Guest WashyGeordie

It's the LAW. Why can't you people see that. The Taylor Report outlawed standing areas at top and second flight football nearly 20 years ago. That's why we have all seater stadia in the top 2  leagues.:angry:

Safe Standing has worked in Germany (and other European countries) without no minor or major accidents/disasters for the past however many years.

Why can't it happen here? That's the question.

Also, I still can't see why fans can't have a choice of to sit/stand. These sort of things happens at gigs, festivals etc, yet when it comes to football it's a different story.

Clubs have spent a fortune renovating their stadiums and insilke cases, building brand new ones to make them all seater. Does anyone seriously think the clubs would be keen on huge revamps to accommodate safe standing? It's never going to happen, that's without the sensitivity side of Hillsborough.

Standing will not be brought back in England, people really need to accept this.