The Strawberry Corner

Crumpy Gunt

• 2 weeks later...

Right.

I've been told by Head of Security at the ground they're not taking this shizzle lightly, and even being 6ft5 and in the back row they have said they will still ban persistant standers.

So i will have to move seats. :/

Whereabouts in the Gallowgate is there supposed to be a bit of a congregation of likeminded fans that sing and do not disturb others? Also is the leg room decent? Because its truly appaling in the Strawb Corner

Right.

I've been told by Head of Security at the ground they're not taking this shizzle lightly, and even being 6ft5 and in the back row they have said they will still ban persistant standers.

So i will have to move seats. :/

Whereabouts in the Gallowgate is there supposed to be a bit of a congregation of likeminded fans that sing and do not disturb others? Also is the leg room decent? Because its truly appaling in the Strawb Corner

Bad craic that if your not blocking anyone. Might be a chance they'll calm down again after the obligatory early season clampdown.

Seriously though, it's getting a bit daft.

We all know that the general rule of thumb is that in the home areas of SJP, the vast vast majority of people will sit down during play and then stand up when theres a goal opportunity or at a flash point. The away games are more "anything goes" with a far greater percentage of fans wanting to stand. At SJP for people to complain about being told to sit down just seems a bit OTT. With the absence of the dedicated singing area, persistent standing is selfish and the only potential acceptable time to do it, would be in The Guv's case- ie the back row.

I'd have to pipe up if someone plonked themselves in front of me at the match, where I've had the same seat since 1995 and stood up blocking my view. It's not really on if your inconveniencing other fans.

:thup:

That's why I was enquiring as to if there is somewhere I can move to which won't inconvenience other fans and be able to sing too. If that means sitting down then fine. But the leg room in the Strawberry Corner is rather tight.

Right finally got around to replying on this thread. I'm one of the Leazes Corner movers and have stood at every home game for the last three seasons - this season I am in the back couple of rows of the front blocks of the strawberry corner (if that makes sense?!)

To my knowledge we are not blocking the view of anyone, however, everyone knows that, as it stands, premier league ground regulations dictate that persistent standing is not allowed. Therefore I cannot see how anyone can genuinely have any beef about being asked to sit down. Being able to stand in the Leazes Corner was a luxury, but now that we have moved we have to respect those fans around us. If you don't like it then don't buy a SEAT in the ground. I received a letter in the post warning me against persistent standing and at the next game I will be sat down - I enjoy match days too much, and indeed pay too much for the privilege of attending, to put that in jeopardy.

That's a very sensible attitude (that's not meant to sound patronising!). Ive been to two aways this season and have stood throughout but that's only as everyone else was. At home though, it's just going to irritate other fans, who mainly sit and draw attention from the stewards who are obviously being told to crack down on standing.

I did warn people on here before the season started that Level 7 fans moving to the Strawberry Corner wouldn't be a great idea because of the high amount of season ticket holders already there. My suggestion was the Gallowgate Upper as it had/has a low season ticket occupancy (blocks R & V must be less than 15% s/t holders), already has fans standing and singing and there would have been plenty room for everyone from LC to have shifted over and congregate together. The low roof also makes it easy to generate lots of noise so hopefully people will move across there next season.  Before then if there's anyone who has moved to Strawberry Corner and is having problems with their new neighbours you could  just go up there anyway on Saturday. Loads of space at the back of the Upper tier v Fulham and even against Arsenal there were plenty of empty seats right at the back. Stewards don't really seem to bother going up there much either although i'm sure that would change if it became busier.