A lesson for NUFC....

mrmojorisin75

Who would you rather be, Accrington Stanley or Chelsea? Think hard before you answer because in today's football there are only 2 directions. Unfortunately it all depends on money, which to a high degree buys success. There's no other way to have success. Chelsea are doing nothing wrong, people are just jealous and since they have quality on the pitch which nobody can falter then people use their wealth to try and put them down. I'm not saying I like what I see, I'm just saying how it is and people just have to go along with it.

personally i'd rather not be a team grinding one-nils for the sake of "everything" (i.e. to win)

personally i'd rather be see a keegan/wenger/ferguson team than a mourinho one

personally i'd rather not see players wearing our shirt to harass referees, cheat or do anything else underhand to secure the all important win

if we become a club that is defined by winning then it will be sad, sad day...

You're mental tbh

cheers, i'm right though

Couldn't care less if we were popular or not - it didn't win us any trophies in the 90's when we were supposed to be the 'Entertainers' , did it !?

All that happened was a load of patronising media articles from the likes of that clown Collins in the Mail on Sunday, who then proceeded to complain when all the 'neutrals' gloated after we tanked Man U 5-0..!!

We need people running the club with a totally-focussed view of making the club successful ON the pitch & MORE successful off it - one follows the other, but you need the on-field success first.

The reason people dislike Chelsea is down to several things, including the slightly suspicious background to the people in charge, but also to envy & resentment from the previously-untouchables of Arsenal , Man U & Liverpool - the latter 2 have big friends in the media, Arsenal because of the power they have previously wielded through Dein being on the FA, but NOT being able to match Chelsea for money.

We were also resented by a section of the media in the 90s(why do you think NOTW set up Shepherd/D.Hall ? NOTW owned by Murdoch who was trying to buy Man U at the time.....)and I think you would have seen a different attitude among neutrals had we won the title in 96 & gone on to be more successful ; we would have become a REAL threat to the 'Establishment' , and not just a flash in the pan

to be tolerated & sent back to the sticks after our brief moment of glory.....!!

I couldn't care less if we won the title by 1-0 every game - so long as we DID win it. We are NOT here to win neutral popularity contests, but to win trophies , and to do that we have to become coldly-professional ; that ALSO applies to the fans. The 'Sexy Football' can wait until we've won the Champs Lge - not before......

Ba ha ha, you've just made my point for me - that might as well be right out of the mouth of Pete Kenyon or Fat Fred

Fat Fred ? When did HE ever want a manager who won things !? OK if he's a Geordie, though...!!

Who would you rather be, Accrington Stanley or Chelsea? Think hard before you answer because in today's football there are only 2 directions. Unfortunately it all depends on money, which to a high degree buys success. There's no other way to have success. Chelsea are doing nothing wrong, people are just jealous and since they have quality on the pitch which nobody can falter then people use their wealth to try and put them down. I'm not saying I like what I see, I'm just saying how it is and people just have to go along with it.

personally i'd rather not be a team grinding one-nils for the sake of "everything" (i.e. to win)

personally i'd rather not see players wearing our shirt to harass referees, cheat or do anything else underhand to secure the all important win

You want us to play attractive football like Arsenal or Man U, but not have players who harrass the ref like Arsenal or Man U.

You want us to be successful but to put entertainment and fair play ahead of winning.

You want the perfect chairman and manager who make the right decisions and say the right things all the time.

You want us to be loved and respected by the media and fans of the teams we are beating because of our beautiful football and honourable conduct.

You want us to do all this without spending any money.

Are you HTT in disguise?

You want us to play attractive football like Arsenal or Man U, but not have players who harrass the ref like Arsenal or Man U.

You want us to be successful but to put entertainment and fair play ahead of winning.

You want the perfect chairman and manager who make the right decisions and say the right things all the time.

You want us to be loved and respected by the media and fans of the teams we are beating because of our beautiful football and honourable conduct.

You want us to do all this without spending any money.

Are you HTT in disguise?

ah now i see, i should set my sights on us playing like wimbledon, doing deals like george graham and sending refs death threats when things don't go our way

we have wildy different interpretations of what the word aspire means my friend

Get Real - Ferguson/Wenger teams ARE Winners...

That's ALL that counts mate - Second is nowhere, and that is what being a successful club is about.

If all NUFC fans think the same way as you do , I am sorry I wasted much of my free time in trying to get

change at SJP with the Magpie Group.

Not everyone can be a winner, but that is what we ALL should try to be .

So what do you aspire to?

about covers it - a club can play the game in the right way, be run in the right way without compromising their soul

which takes me back to Chel$ki and the original post...

That's ALL that counts mate - Second is nowhere, and that is what being a successful club is about.

If all NUFC fans think the same way as you do , I am sorry I wasted much of my free time in trying to get

READ what i've written pal - no issues with winning or success but once you become defined by it and it becomes all consuming then it's a step too far; circa man u with keane, current Chel$ki, early Arsene Wenger Arsenal teams....

Guest Gemmill

READ what i've written pal - no issues with winning or success but once you become defined by it and it becomes all consuming then it's a step too far; circa man u with keane, current Chel$ki, early Arsene Wenger Arsenal teams....

When was the last time a team of nice guys won the title?  Doesn't happen does it.  If you want to be that team, then you have to be prepared to accept your place with the losers. 

You're talking a whole heap of idealistic shit imo.

I think a lot of the irritation with all three of those teams comes from rival fans who hate seeing success in others when they aren't enjoying any.

I would reluctantly admit that I'm sure I would have loved Roy Keane if he'd been a Newcastle player for example, much in the same way we used to get a strange satisfaction when Bellamy would go on one of his rants. It's a lot different when these players are on your side and helping you succeed. I wouldn't condone outright cheating but other than that I think it's just a question of what side of the fence you're on.

When was the last time a team of nice guys won the title? Doesn't happen does it. If you want to be that team, then you have to be prepared to accept your place with the losers.

maybe you're right...but i've never been the one to mention anything about winning titles have i?

we are mired in mediocrity and have been for decades bar a short period under keegan and arguably robson

more recently we've dipped a little below mediocrity into the absurd and have done so whilst being run in all the ways discussed in this thread; so where exactly has being a selfish, one-track mind club got us then?

4th bottom in November for a return of i don't know how many millions of pounds debt is where

excuse my idealism if you will

The follwoing quotes are taken from an excellent article in the Telegraph about Chel$ki:

"Class is the key word. The people who own, manage and administer Chelsea underline, week in, week out, what Oscar Wilde meant when he defined a cynic as 'someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing'. They spend money like drunken sailors, and brag about there being 'more where that came from'. Then they wonder why the world outside their frantic little parish withholds its respect."

"West Bromwich Albion is a football club. Accrington Stanley is a football club. Chelsea has not been a football club for some while. It is a vanity publication, run by vulgarians for whom modesty is a badge of shame…"

When I read that I feel it is all too easy to replace Chel$ki with NUFC. 

Over the last decade we have been driven towards becoming a cut-price Netto version of the current Chel$ki; from being the toast of the country a decade ago for our football & fans, we're now arguably second to Chel$ki in the derision league and show few signs of that changing for the better.  The major difference is that we've "acheived" our status on the back of the fans money, not a "Geordie Ambramovich".

We need to get the chairman, board, cronies, lackies, sycophants out of our club and run it the way we'd be proud to see it.

Anyone not in favour of a takeover think hard on that.

Very well written, intelligent and thought provoking. We certainly have our fair share of the above mentioned and most of them parochial at that.

Guest Invicta_Toon

When was the last time a team of nice guys won the title? Doesn't happen does it. If you want to be that team, then you have to be prepared to accept your place with the losers.

maybe you're right...but i've never been the one to mention anything about winning titles have i?

we are mired in mediocrity and have been for decades bar a short period under keegan and arguably robson

more recently we've dipped a little below mediocrity into the absurd and have done so whilst being run in all the ways discussed in this thread; so where exactly has being a selfish, one-track mind club got us then?

4th bottom in November for a return of i don't know how many millions of pounds debt is where

excuse my idealism if you will

what the hell were John Hall and Keegan if not big spenders acting the exact same way as chelsea now?

you're unreal you are