Hands Off N'Zog

Nobby

7m will be a good deal if that contract - ie. the one currently on the table - does remain unsigned. I'd say cash-in now, if we do face the prospect of losing him on a Bosman next Summer.

I have to say i'm disappointed with Roeder's handling of N'Zogbia this season, purely because i felt that Roeder has underutilised Duff's versatility by not taking advantage of the said player's ability to slot in at either RW or upfront. Martins and Duff, as a forward pairing, would've provided a dual-counterattacking threat making us more effective as a hit&run team away from home, and more capable of building on a 1 goal lead at home.

Zoggy's progress, his development, has stagnated as a result.

A couple of flaws in that argument - first and foremost is that Zoggy has indeed signed a new contract, as was revealed in the October financial report. A thread on the subject can be found here

Secondly, Duff's versatility has been proven to be a myth - as terrible as Duff has been on the left this season, he has been even worse on the right or up front. Admittedly, it was poor decision making (in retrospect) to sign Duff in the first place, but for 5m he appeared to be a bargain - especially when, at the time, the myth of Duff's versatility was unchallenged (in addition to the even more fanciful myth that the Zog can play in the middle)

Surely most of us agree that the Zog has the potential to be a Premiership star, but at the moment we have to hope he's just suffering the second season blues - as opposed to issues with his noggin ie interest from other clubs, Boumsong leaving the club etc

Arsenal planning £7million Magpies raid

15:36 November, 30, 2006

Arsenal Football Club will still make an effort to sign Charles N’Zogbia in the New Year.

Mail The FansFC Editor

Send This Article To A Friend

Post Your View on The Msg Board

The Frenchman has made a great impact in the English game since moving to Newcastle United, and Arsene Wenger is hoping to lure him to the Emirates Stadium in January.

However, Magpies boss Glenn Roeder told the Newcastle Chronicle: "His future is here at Newcastle United - and anyone who is mischievously saying otherwise is totally wasting their time.”

Despite this, Wenger will not be deterred and an offer of £7million will be tabled as soon as the transfer window allows him to make an official move for the 20-year-old.

£7m?! Who are they kidding? I'd be f*ckin livid, we sold that bag of sh*te Jenas for more and if the spuds can get £18m for Carrick I'd want considerably more than £7m for Zoggy!  :wullie:

7m will be a good deal if that contract - ie. the one currently on the table - does remain unsigned. I'd say cash-in now, if we do face the prospect of losing him on a Bosman next Summer.

I have to say i'm disappointed with Roeder's handling of N'Zogbia this season, purely because i felt that Roeder has underutilised Duff's versatility by not taking advantage of the said player's ability to slot in at either RW or upfront. Martins and Duff, as a forward pairing, would've provided a dual-counterattacking threat making us more effective as a hit&run team away from home, and more capable of building on a 1 goal lead at home.

I'd say he's gone backwards rather than just stagnated and while the media has blamed external reasons for it, perhaps it's because Roeder is moulding N'Zogbia in the wrong way? He certainly doesn't have the same self-belief as he did last season and his end product has been shocking - while last term he scored a few goals, got a good number of direct assists and generally was involved in a hell of a lot of our best moments via his direct running/good crossing.

I can't help but feel he's suffering because he's not really being allowed to play "his way" anymore and might be being made to be more of a team player - God forbid anyone has flair players anymore, it seems people believe that to be successful everyone must be geared towards teamwork rather than just going out to "play", but right now I reckon we'd benefit more from last season's more unpredictable/exciting N'Zogbia. Is it really such an issue if he loses the ball a few times in the opponent's third if his unrelenting running earns us a goal or two?

N'Zogbia is quite probably the player with the most flair in the squad and the most ability to change a game in a moment, much like Robert was when Souness was here (and we all know what happened there), I just hope the outcome isn't the same and that Charlie's problems are simply "second season blues" or short-term because of Boumsong/Duff/Faye.

Zoggy has a major flaw in this game ie he loses control of the ball when running forward in possession. It's something he needs to work hard on, and I'm not quite sure that his attitude is right at the moment.

Sven wanted to know if Zog was English :lol:

Why wouldn't he think a name like "N'Zogbia" wouldn't be English?

Although if he stays uncapped by France for another 2 and a half years, he will be eligible for England.

Is that bit in bold true ?

That, or if he marries a Geordie lass in the near future.

Arsenal planning £7million Magpies raid

15:36 November, 30, 2006

Arsenal Football Club will still make an effort to sign Charles N’Zogbia in the New Year.

Mail The FansFC Editor

Send This Article To A Friend

Post Your View on The Msg Board

The Frenchman has made a great impact in the English game since moving to Newcastle United, and Arsene Wenger is hoping to lure him to the Emirates Stadium in January.

However, Magpies boss Glenn Roeder told the Newcastle Chronicle: "His future is here at Newcastle United - and anyone who is mischievously saying otherwise is totally wasting their time.”

Despite this, Wenger will not be deterred and an offer of £7million will be tabled as soon as the transfer window allows him to make an official move for the 20-year-old.

£7m?! Who are they kidding? I'd be f*ckin livid, we sold that bag of sh*te Jenas for more and if the spuds can get £18m for Carrick I'd want considerably more than £7m for Zoggy!  :wullie:

I'd say he's gone backwards rather than just stagnated and while the media has blamed external reasons for it, perhaps it's because Roeder is moulding N'Zogbia in the wrong way? He certainly doesn't have the same self-belief as he did last season and his end product has been shocking - while last term he scored a few goals, got a good number of direct assists and generally was involved in a hell of a lot of our best moments via his direct running/good crossing.

I can't help but feel he's suffering because he's not really being allowed to play "his way" anymore and might be being made to be more of a team player - God forbid anyone has flair players anymore, it seems people believe that to be successful everyone must be geared towards teamwork rather than just going out to "play", but right now I reckon we'd benefit more from last season's more unpredictable/exciting N'Zogbia. Is it really such an issue if he loses the ball a few times in the opponent's third if his unrelenting running earns us a goal or two?

N'Zogbia is quite probably the player with the most flair in the squad and the most ability to change a game in a moment, much like Robert was when Souness was here (and we all know what happened there), I just hope the outcome isn't the same and that Charlie's problems are simply "second season blues" or short-term because of Boumsong/Duff/Faye.

Good post. Just adding further to that, another aspect of his game which has 'gone backwards' this campaign has been his 'off the ball runs' into the opponent's box. They've been noticeably scarce, in comparison to last season..... i mean post-Souness, and as you say his finishing has been way off the mark whereas in relation to the above mentioned period he looked very clinical in the event of any chances presenting themselves inside the box. I thought we had a 'goal poaching winger' prospect, in the mould of Pires, on our hands. This attacking instinct of his - ie. gambling & coming inside - has been reigned in by Roeder..... it should have been allowed to flourish ala Pires under Wenger.

I liken his stagnation to Dyer under Sir Bobby Robson, or him moving backwards in your words - and you're correct btw, from a playing perspective or 'honing in one's flair & unpredictably for the sake of converting that player into a more team-orientated one'. Dyer, under Gullit and shortly after - before his surgery, as a dribbler was more direct & more unpredictable. After he came back from the shin-op Robson tried to make him a more off-the-ball orientated central midfielder. His 'dribbling/attacking game' was negelected, and i always felt that SBR coached the flair out of Dyer's game.