Alan Pardew

Dave

This is a very strange argument.

Didn't think it was an argument in the first place...SanToon and Felipao took my comment completely the wrong way and were egged on by Michael.

:lol: the internet can be a funny mesh of personas.

The comment that started it still hasn't been explained, even though he's posted since. :lol:

:mystery:

Guest icemanblue

Didn't think it was an argument in the first place...SanToon and Felipao took my comment completely the wrong way and were egged on by Michael.

The comment that started it still hasn't been explained, even though he's posted since. :lol:

:lol: Fair point.

Only a top 10 finish to go along with our Europa League run would be acceptable. I remember after the two cup defeats under Souness we were turgid in the run in, when really we should have still pushed on for top half.

I hope after Sunday if we win to pretty much secure safety that we don't see the same.

Guest neesy111

Why don't you's 2 get a room.

Guest neesy111

What a fucking hypocrite you are.

Only a top 10 finish to go along with our Europa League run would be acceptable. I remember after the two cup defeats under Souness we were turgid in the run in, when really we should have still pushed on for top half.

I hope after Sunday if we win to pretty much secure safety that we don't see the same.

Funny you should say that...

Alan Pardew wants top-10 Newcastle finish in Premier league

Alan Pardew has targeted a top-10 finish in the Premier League following Newcastle's Europa League exit.

The Magpies drew 1-1 with Benfica on Thursday at St James' Park, but the Portuguese side's 3-1 win in the first leg proved to be the deciding factor. Pardew now wants his side to improve on their 13th position in the league.

"I'm proud of this whole run but now we need to try to finish in the top 10 of the Premier League - that is the next target for us," said the Magpies boss.

While a top-half finish is their aim, Newcastle go into Sunday's derby against Sunderland only five points clear of the bottom three.

Newcastle's league run-in

14 April: Sunderland (h)

20 April: West Brom (a)

27 April: Liverpool (h)

4 May: West Ham (a)

12 April: QPR (a)

19 May: Arsenal (h)

Pardew told BBC Sport: "The fans can see that we have good players here and a good strategy going forward for next season but we need to finish strongly, that is our priority.

"I can't wait for it [the Sunderland game], in the region it is the biggest game. Sometimes emotions can get a bit carried away but we need to keep them in check. Hopefully we can get a win."

Newcastle took the lead against Benfica when Papiss Cisse headed in Shola Ameobi's poked cross and the goal gave them hope of overturning the first-leg deficit.

Substitute Hatem Ben Arfa, who returned early from a hamstring injury, then fired over from inside the area before Eduardo Salvio struck on the counter-attack in stoppage time to confirm the end of the Magpies' European campaign.

Pardew said: "In the second half we went for it, you can't play at that pace for 90 minutes against a team of this quality or you will get picked off.

"The emotion is disappointment because we want to win, we almost had it and everybody in that dressing room knew that when Hatem cut inside, nine yards out on his left foot, that nine times out of 10 that goes in the net.

"I honestly thought that was it then, I thought we had won it."

Guest neesy111

Our domestic cup record under Pardew is terrible, limited as it is.

We are due shit loads of cup runs where we get all home ties, hopefully that will change our record at some point.

For all the disappointment, the result was a fair one and there looked to be a recognition among home fans that they'd lost out to a genuinely talented side. Spirit will only take you so far and the individual errors of the first leg ultimately proved to be insurmountable - regardless of Pardew's team selection tonight, scoring twice and keeping a clean sheet was a very tall order indeed.

We won't be playing European football next season, but after the experience of contending with no less than fourteen UEFA ties this time round, there's simply no reason why both domestic cup competitions can't be taken seriously, with first choice XIs selected.

:thup: especially the bit in bold; we've got a better squad and about 10 less games to cater for (presuming we do take the cups semi-seriously).

About the first thing I said in the boozer post match yesterday.  Europe is great fun but lets have a full on tilt at the domestic Cups next season with a stronger squad than we've had for a while.

And we'll be playing at the same time as everyone else in the league - no Athens away Thursday night and Chelsea away Saturday nonsense.

Alan Pardew wants top-10 Newcastle finish in Premier league

Alan Pardew has targeted a top-10 finish in the Premier League following Newcastle's Europa League exit.

The Magpies drew 1-1 with Benfica on Thursday at St James' Park, but the Portuguese side's 3-1 win in the first leg proved to be the deciding factor. Pardew now wants his side to improve on their 13th position in the league.

"I'm proud of this whole run but now we need to try to finish in the top 10 of the Premier League - that is the next target for us," said the Magpies boss.

While a top-half finish is their aim, Newcastle go into Sunday's derby against Sunderland only five points clear of the bottom three.

Newcastle's league run-in

14 April: Sunderland (h)

20 April: West Brom (a)

27 April: Liverpool (h)

4 May: West Ham (a)

12 April: QPR (a)

19 May: Arsenal (h)

Pardew told BBC Sport: "The fans can see that we have good players here and a good strategy going forward for next season but we need to finish strongly, that is our priority.

"I can't wait for it [the Sunderland game], in the region it is the biggest game. Sometimes emotions can get a bit carried away but we need to keep them in check. Hopefully we can get a win."

Newcastle took the lead against Benfica when Papiss Cisse headed in Shola Ameobi's poked cross and the goal gave them hope of overturning the first-leg deficit.

Substitute Hatem Ben Arfa, who returned early from a hamstring injury, then fired over from inside the area before Eduardo Salvio struck on the counter-attack in stoppage time to confirm the end of the Magpies' European campaign.

Pardew said: "In the second half we went for it, you can't play at that pace for 90 minutes against a team of this quality or you will get picked off.

"The emotion is disappointment because we want to win, we almost had it and everybody in that dressing room knew that when Hatem cut inside, nine yards out on his left foot, that nine times out of 10 that goes in the net.

"I honestly thought that was it then, I thought we had won it."

Looking at the table, 10th isnt outrageous, but looking at the games we have left, its unlikely. Id say 10th-12th is the more likely area than above (yes 10th is top 10 but he really should just say 10th in that case, though 9th is dragging a bit closer)

Guest bimpy474

We are due shit loads of cup runs where we get all home ties, hopefully that will change our record at some point.

Home ties would be nice, but our performances at Stevenage and Brighton twice were embarrassing tbh.

Guest neesy111

Home ties would be nice, but our performances at Stevenage and Brighton twice were embarrassing tbh.

They were.  That has to change, you won't win trophies if you get unstuck by those teams time and again.

Guest bimpy474

They were.  That has to change, you won't win trophies if you get unstuck by those teams time and again.

Aye and without the Europa we have no reason to have a right good go at both cups next season.

Guest icemanblue

Why don't you's 2 get a room.

:lol: Oh, so you can see my posts. Care to explain your original post then?

I cannot help but feel we have peaked under his stewardship. 5th Place in the League and Quarter Finals of the European Cup. What represents progress now?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/18/article-1097253-02D723F1000005DC-330_224x423.jpg

I cannot help but feel we have peaked under his stewardship. 5th Place in the League and Quarter Finals of the European Cup. What represents progress now?

It was always going to be about consolidation.

But we really need to pay more respect to the domestic cups next year. Hopefully in that regard our EL experience puts us in good stead.

Guest bimpy474

Well next season it has to be top 8 and a good run in both cups. Minimum i would reckon.

In the ground and boozers I've heard debate concerning Pardew's perceived overly cautious approach to games but no real criticism of the bloke.

In fact this season he's had considerable sympathy for the injuries and luck we've been dealt.

There was dissent and open criticism at SJP during the Reading match but the bloke held his hands up and admitted his error.

Generally most are supportive of Pardew, and if context is needed on internet forums, the criticism he's received is probably less than Wenger, Moyes and even Mourinho received at certain times in their jobs.

I'm well and truly on the other side of the fence tonight. I thought tonight really suited him - we absolutely had to kill the game stone dead in the first half and that's what we did.

Gameplan was to get to 80 minutes with a 1-0 lead and get another - that was the only way we could win the game tonight (I'm much more confident in us needing a goal than trying to sit on a lead - isn't everyone? - and them scoring at any point either kills us off or means extra time - no thanks, not tonight), and we very nearly did that. If Ben Arfa keeps that shot down, if Marveaux isn't chopped down, if we show a bit more composure in and around their box in those last few minutes, we win that game.

Absolutely. Proud of all of them, and we nearly pulled it off (and no surprise at all when we got hit on the break in our attacking spell, that was always the risk against Benfica).

Bring on the Mackems!

I don't think progress necessarily means you always finish higher than any time in the past. Finishing top 6 again would be class IMO.

A cup is what everyone wants, lets just win the FA Cup.

Guest bimpy474

I don't think progress necessarily means you always finish higher than any time in the past. Finishing top 6 again would be class IMO.

About right, may i add, acheiving it with some decent football, with possession and nice passing.

About right, may i add, acheiving it with some decent football, with possession and nice passing.

I would like to see him have a bit more belief in his players. 2 and a half seasons under his belt may even lead him to relax a little bit more and perhaps he may even abandon some of his stifling pragmatism.

Yep, all I really want from NUFC is to deliver some entertainment and some memorable moments. If that happens enough during a season I'm happy. 5th vs 7th or whatever I'm not so bothered about.