Jobi McAnuff is he right ?

samag

Indeed - all people in the entertainment/sports world are overpaid.  Footballers are no different to actors, singers, NBA stars, F1 drivers, golfers etc.

Golfers I would perhaps disagree with. If they don't play well and make cuts etc, they don't earn the big money.

Once you get to the level of Tiger, Luke etc, you've played consistently well enough to justify your share of the money in the sport.

I agree that the wealth is more concentrated within the top few in golf but I suppose that is always likely to occur in an individual sport.  Perhaps a bad example.  Having said that, here is the PGA tour prize money list - http://espn.go.com/golf/moneylist

50th best player is still earning USD 1.4 million in prize money alone and the 100th best USD 893,000.

Of course he's right. It is absolutely insane that a footballer can earn more lying on a beach in the summer than we can throughout our entire hard-working stressed-out lives. Nice that at least one of them has twigged this though, rather than just assuming they're so special that they're worth it. Jobi McAnuff has a great name too, nearly as mad as mine, sling us £25K mate, you won't miss it :)

Guest elbee909

Take Sky's rip-off model for selling content out of the equation and it's a different story.  If the money wasn't being thrown at football then the clubs, and thus the players, wouldn't end up with it.  The agents are just a symptom - they're only sniffing around because the money is there in the first place.

If you pay for Sky Sports, you don't have much cause to complain about the price of football.

A salary cap system is a form of 'restriction of trade', which would place limitations on earnings potential & movement of players.

The European Union would have a field day with it.

It would have to be Europe wide to have any effect, and strict rules on extras beyond the basic wage. A better idea would be limiting the percentage of turnover to be spent on wages, then also some rules on ticket prices so clubs don't just try and increase turnover by putting up ticket prices. You would probably just get people like the City owners sponsoring them for £200million a year or something though.

Not if you do it on a team basis.

You mean for example 60% of club revenue, as the formula for a club's annual cap.

Situations will arise where potential deals will collapse, in the event of a buying club unsuccessfully shifting on players (whether they be fringe or established 1st teamers) in order to create cap-room & squeeze an incoming player's wage into their cap. If a player is denied a dream-move, due to this type of scenario, a salary cap system will be challenged in the courts.

If you have a salary cap based on % of revenue then you condemn all the smaller teams from being able to move up. A salary cap, which I think is a horrible idea, has to be a nominal cap that's not based on team revenue if it's to be fair.

Players are paid as well as they are because they deserve it. Why aren't doctors paid as well as footballers? Because being a doctor is easier than being a footballer. You want to be a doctor? Go to school for eight years. It ain't easy but many people manage it. You want to be a footballer? So many things have to go right for you, and you have to have talent in the first place. Most good doctors are products of good educational systems. Most good footballers are naturally talented. It's basic supply and demand.

It also isn't a pretty fact of life that people are more willing to pay for leisure than they do for health or education. That's why the poor consume alcohol rather than save etc. There's economic papers written on this. People are more willing to pay to watch football than they are to do other things, so footballers should be rewarded for their ability to provide entertainment that we value quite obviously very highly. The best players deserve everything they're paid.

Well the biggest capitalist country in the world allows its sports leagues to maintain a salary cap. 

The reason the NHL introduced the salary was to protect the league and spread the talent around all teams instead of the big franchises dominating.

The league is a lot healthier now.

Guest optimistic nit

If you have a salary cap based on % of revenue then you condemn all the smaller teams from being able to move up. A salary cap, which I think is a horrible idea, has to be a nominal cap that's not based on team revenue if it's to be fair.

Players are paid as well as they are because they deserve it. Why aren't doctors paid as well as footballers? Because being a doctor is easier than being a footballer. You want to be a doctor? Go to school for eight years. It ain't easy but many people manage it. You want to be a footballer? So many things have to go right for you, and you have to have talent in the first place. Most good doctors are products of good educational systems. Most good footballers are naturally talented. It's basic supply and demand.

It also isn't a pretty fact of life that people are more willing to pay for leisure than they do for health or education. That's why the poor consume alcohol rather than save etc. There's economic papers written on this. People are more willing to pay to watch football than they are to do other things, so footballers should be rewarded for their ability to provide entertainment that we value quite obviously very highly. The best players deserve everything they're paid.

being a doctor is easier than being a footaller? :lol: :lol: i half agree with you, footballers are paid what they are because thats the amount of money thats in the game, however it has nothing to do with the comparitive difficulty of being a footballer to other proffessions.

being a doctor is easier than being a footaller? :lol: :lol: i half agree with you, footballers are paid what they are because thats the amount of money thats in the game, however it has nothing to do with the comparitive difficulty of being a footballer to other proffessions.

It does. If it was so easy being a Premier league footballer then everyone would be one, meaning wages would drop because the supply of them are in excess. Fact is, being a good footballer is an immensely difficult thing. No amount of training or practicing can turn someone into a good footballer unless they're athletic to begin with and have some talent. That's not the case with being a doctor. Anyone, theoretically, can be a doctor. There are no age limits to becoming doctors, no weight limit, no height limit. You can be fat, tall, short, handicapped, whatever, and that won't stop you becoming a doctor if you study hard enough.

There are way more limits to who can become a footballer and it's why they're paid as well as they are. No disrespect to doctors or engineers or teachers or anyone who has a normal profession (I have one as well). It's just a fact of life that good footballers are in perpetually high demand so they have a lot of leverage when negotiating contracts.

If they bring in salary caps, they would also need to bring in caps on tickets, premium tv prices etc. Otherwise all you will see is the owners of the clubs making more money. Personally, I'd always rather the money went to the people I go to watch, rather than the owners, but maybe that's just the anti-capitalist inside of me.