What is success for you - in the long term?

ATB

The removal of Mike Ashley, his shitty SD branding and the dicks he has running us DL and AP. Then we can get back to being a football club again.

Awful answer.

I liked it.

Then you're both awful people.

Getting rid of Ashley deemed as success? Absolutely disgusting attitude. It's fine to say that you see success as winning XYZ, something you don't see happening under Ashley, but when your definition of success is all about your dislike for the owner? It's just shite man. Awful awful craic.

Guest malandro

The removal of Mike Ashley, his shitty SD branding and the dicks he has running us DL and AP. Then we can get back to being a football club again.

Awful answer.

I liked it.

Getting rid of Ashley deemed as success? Absolutely disgusting attitude. It's fine to say that you see success as winning XYZ, something you don't see happening under Ashley, but when your definition of success is all about your dislike for the owner? It's just s**** man. Awful awful craic.

You like all the SD logos then?

If we are to follow a "model", Swansea are the sort of the model we should be following if we aren't going to spend a lot on players, they have a fairly attractive style that allows them to compete, especially in one off games and make best use of the players they do have, I mean brittan played in the conference did he not?

Their manager buys his own players though! /mackemmodel

If we are to follow a "model", Swansea are the sort of the model we should be following if we aren't going to spend a lot on players, they have a fairly attractive style that allows them to compete, especially in one off games and make best use of the players they do have, I mean brittan played in the conference did he not?

or the dortmund model.

Awful answer.

I liked it.

Getting rid of Ashley deemed as success? Absolutely disgusting attitude. It's fine to say that you see success as winning XYZ, something you don't see happening under Ashley, but when your definition of success is all about your dislike for the owner? It's just shite man. Awful awful craic.

Give over man :lol:  its obviously a bit tongue in cheek remark- that more ambitous owners would bring more success.

Awful answer.

I liked it.

Give over man :lol:  its obviously a bit tongue in cheek remark- that more ambitous owners would bring more success.

When success for you is getting rid of the owners, then yeah, more ambitious owners would definitely bring more success. Less ambitious owners would too.

Awful answer.

I liked it.

Semtex in other words:

Awful answer.

I liked it.

When success for you is getting rid of the owners, then yeah, more ambitious owners would definitely bring more success. Less ambitious owners would too.

eh :lol:  whats with the name :lol:

The concept of being a part of 20 team league and having no ambition to win it should be fucking alien.

Cannot believe how readily accepted it is, although I do understand it. Horrendous. Thought there'd be more dafties like me kicking around.

Do you not accept it though? FWIW I agree it's sad, but the problem is with the league not us.

Not long-term I don't, which is what the question is. Might as well not bother.

Surely the whole point of football is to try and win stuff? Especially the domestic league.

Course it's the point, but the current situation in the league makes it virtually

impossible. Whether or not people will start to think of football as pointless remains to be seen. For me, it just about offers enough on a weekly basis to help me forgot how futile the bigger picture is.

Obviously it needs to be done in steps, but it can be done. In our current model we'd need to get into the CL first to garner the revenue/status necessary to get the class players in/keep our current ones, of course. It's naturally a lot easier if you've got someone chucking money at it.

Spurs operate a similar way and got relatively close to challenging at the top, mind. They're still up there amongst it now despite a rocky period, although of course they're not in the title race right at this moment.

I dunno, taking a long-term view I just don't see why a club of this size shouldn't be trying to compete at the top-level and harbouring the aim of winning the PL.

Biggest success long-term would be challenging for CL spot while playing attractive football. At the moment though, success is managing to score mroe goals than conceding at least once...

seriously tho- who would give a f*** about champions league place if we WON the europa instead?

:p

Awful answer.

I liked it.

Semtex in other words:

jeesus my lasses dad is Billy Madison :lol: :lol:

Performance: Top 8, challenge for Europe, and an annual deep run in one of the cups. 

Recruitment: Continue to recruit great talent and put together a run of 1-2 years where we make a push for top 3.

Make it fun to watch matches and exciting to be a supporter -- not a soul crushing plight causing such rage that you temporarily consider committing unspeakably violent and inhuman acts.

:lol: Now you're just being greedy!

Challenge for the title until it's mathematically impossible.

Then 2nd, then 3rd etc etc...

:lol:

Seriously though it is such a shame that the same three clubs have won the title for the last 20 seasons apart from two outliers (Blackburn and Man Citeh)

When you look through the league winners since the 1890's or whatever it was, nearly every season a different club won the championship.

The same with the F.A Cup, it's been the same clubs winning the F.A Cup since the late 80's

The concept of being a part of 20 team league and having no ambition to win it should be fucking alien.

Cannot believe how readily accepted it is, although I do understand it. Horrendous. Thought there'd be more dafties like me kicking around.

Do you not accept it though? FWIW I agree it's sad, but the problem is with the league not us.

Surely the whole point of football is to try and win stuff? Especially the domestic league.

Course it's the point, but the current situation in the league makes it virtually

impossible. Whether or not people will start to think of football as pointless remains to be seen. For me, it just about offers enough on a weekly basis to help me forgot how futile the bigger picture is.

Obviously it needs to be done in steps, but it can be done. In our current model we'd need to get into the CL first to garner the revenue/status necessary to get the class players in/keep our current ones, of course. It's naturally a lot easier if you've got someone chucking money at it.

Spurs operate a similar way and got relatively close to challenging at the top, mind. They're still up there amongst it now despite a rocky period, although of course they're not in the title race right at this moment.

I dunno, taking a long-term view I just don't see why a club of this size shouldn't be trying to compete at the top-level and harbouring the aim of winning the PL.

I'm with you Rich, it's a very defeatist viewpoint to say that the league is out of the question for all but the richest clubs. Granted, it would take a canny bit of cash, a very good manager and for us to have a flourishing youth system, all of which look a very long way off at the moment. How much have a club like Dortmund actually spent? They have a much better team than Man City do.

People seem to forget that the rich clubs aren't necessarily who you need to be beating to win the league. It's more than possible to be a massive flat track bully and do it.

I bet we could all name a 22 man squad of Premier League players that could get enough points to win it with a mixture of those who've been developed by their current club and those who cost a relative pittance. With a bit of luck where it all comes together, it's very doable.

Guest ItalianMagpie

long run: top half everytime, pushing for europe.

if they ever introduced any sort of financial restrictions i'd like to see us challenge the top 4, but that'll never happen.

If they did (actually when they will, cause they're gonna do it) we'd also get financial restriction, it wouldn't change that much: you can spend what you produce, and that means that Man Utd, City, Barcelona etc etc will still have a shitload of money to invest, and we...won't. I think the situation will crystallize like it is at the moment, and it'll be very hard for small clubs to improve and change the hierarchy.

Competeing.  Having a team when being drawn against a marginally decent teams, or Brighton away, doesn't make you think that the competition is already over.  And actually winning something in my lifetime, something that I honestly cannot see my club, and my national team for that measure, doing.

Spurs will have a bigger stadium and revenue will go through the roof in a few years too when they've their new ground.

Spurs will have a bigger stadium and revenue will go through the roof in a few years too when they've their new ground.

Aye, was telling me Dad this earlier. If they'd had a stadium the size of ours in place then who knows what they could have done, it's hamstrung them enormously being stuck at WHL. Obviously they have the added benefit of being in London and stuff like, so it may balance out currently.

It came up because I asked him the question posed by the OP here. I was that intrigued by the responses I've seen. Unsurprisingly he said the same as me.

:dontknow:

To win something before I die would be just lovely.

Same.

I'm at the point now where it's like "why the fuck did I choose Newcastle?" Almost wishing I was a complete douchebag so I could support a team that wins games. (Key word is almost).

I will tell you what drives me fucking crazy, how we basically intentionally drop out of the cups every year "to focus on the premier league" where we inevitably finish mid-low table anyway. At this point I'd almost (again, not really) be up for a Portsmouth win the cup and go down type season for fucks sake.

If we don't play a real side for the Europa knock out stages I will be righteously pissed off.