What is success for you - in the long term?

ATB

To do what Keegan did, take a team threatened with relegation from the Championship to a side challenging consistently for the Prem title in 18 months doesn't get anywhere near the kudos it should from people except for  us lot.

Yip, the fact we took the league by storm under Keegan was the best thing I have seen in supporting us. We were a fantastic team to watch

To do what Keegan did, take a team threatened with relegation from the Championship to a side challenging consistently for the Prem title in 18 months doesn't get anywhere near the kudos it should from people except for  us lot.

Aye. There's certainly something to be said for just going for it on the pitch. Most teams give the impression they would take a point before kick off, which Keegan exploited perfectly.

:kasper:Success for me is winning some silverware, 44 years is too long for a club of our heritage.

That's my immediate desire for obvious reasons but in the longer term I'd like to see us fulfill our potential, which for me is challenging for a top six finish, year in, year out and picking up a couple of cups along the way playing a good brand of attacking football.

Without wanting to get into the "what is a big club" argument, it is incredible that we have the 15th biggest average attendance in Europe, having won fuck all in a lifetime.

Every other club above us have secured silverware in recent years so the fact that we can fill our great stadium on the back of no success tells you something about how loyal our supporters are and what a potential this club has.

We have everything you need for success, we just need the fucking success.  :lol:

I think that's what pisses me off the most, it's all here, the stadium, the support etc we just need to put it together on the the big green bit of grass.

Guest malandro

Aye. There's certainly something to be said for just going for it on the pitch. Most teams give the impression they would take a point before kick off, which Keegan exploited perfectly.

Football has changed a lot since I first stepped into SJP, and it might just be me, but I've always thought that the one thing NUFC supporters really want is a team that has a go.

Winning stuff has never been why we support our club and over time I think we ended up placing far more emphasis on how we play, as opposed to just caring about results.

KK's footballing philosophy was a perfect match for NUFC. Whereas, Fat Sam (and perhaps AP's) cagey approach just doesn't fit comfortably with the character of the club.

Possibly talking shite.

Football has changed a lot since I first stepped into SJP, and it might just be me, but I've always thought that the one thing NUFC supporters really want is a team that has a go.

Winning stuff has never been why we support our club and over time I think we ended up placing far more emphasis on how we play, as opposed to just caring about results.

KK's footballing philosophy was a perfect match for NUFC. Whereas, Fat Sam (and perhaps AP's) cagey approach just doesn't fit comfortably with the character of the club.

Possibly talking shite.

think you are spot on

I'd 'like' us to be ran like Dortmund.

OK, question for you, why wouldn't that be possible? (Interesting topic this)

For starters we seem to have little interest in developing local youth to it's full potential.

Possibly talking s****.

KK would have thought so - he may have been an advocate of attacking football but he was above all else, a winner. He didn't just want NUFC to be other people's second team, he wanted us to be successful.

So do the vast majority of our fans so I think you are wrong.

Guest malandro

Possibly talking s****.

KK would have thought so - he may have been an advocate of attacking football but he was above all else, a winner. He didn't just want NUFC to be other people's second team, he wanted us to be successful.

But we're not successful. We haven't won the league in 80 years. It's 50 years since we won a domestic trophy. When it comes to winning things we have been garbage for longer than the vast majority of today's supporters have been alive. If winning stuff was what mattered most our support would have dwindled away in relative terms.

Ever since the media dreamt up the we'd rather lose 4-3 than win a game rubbish the supporters who worry about what the media say have been out to prove that all we care about is winning. I just don't think it's true, or perhaps it is now but wasn't previously.

KK wanted to win stuff at NUFC, but he wanted to do it playing in a way that also brought the best out of our biggest strength... our support. I don't think it was coincidence the closest we have come to winning anything in the modern era coincided with us going out and trying to win every game playing positive football.

Cowardly football and boring games, it's not what NUFC is about for me. You think differently, but I'm not sure how many would agree that winning trophies is more important than how we play. Perhaps, more importantly, I think our chances of actually winning anything are reduced if we play in a fashion that bores the terraces into silence.

Possibly talking s****.

But we're not successful. We haven't won the league in 80 years. It's 50 years since we won a domestic trophy. When it comes to winning things we have been garbage for longer than the vast majority of today's supporters have been alive. If winning stuff was what mattered most our support would have dwindled away in relative terms.

Ever since the media dreamt up the we'd rather lose 4-3 than win a game rubbish the supporters who worry about what the media say have been out to prove that all we care about is winning. I just don't think it's true, or perhaps it is now but wasn't previously.

KK wanted to win stuff at NUFC, but he wanted to do it playing in a way that also brought the best out of our biggest strength... our support. I don't think it was coincidence the closest we have come to winning anything in the modern era coincided with us going out and trying to win every game playing positive football.

Cowardly football and boring games, it's not what NUFC is about for me. You think differently, but I'm not sure how many would agree that winning trophies is more important than how we play. Perhaps, more importantly, I think our chances of actually winning anything are reduced if we play in a fashion that bores the terraces into silence.

Under this regime we have NO chance of getting what you want and are currently getting the worst of ALL worlds - awful football and a losing team which is likely to lose its best players.

In such a scenario, our ONLY chance of getting better players is to win silverwre - all successful sides build from the back...Derby and Forest under Clough, Leeds under Revie, Liverpool under Shankly.

In the current situation we cannot even attract top defenders apart from Debuchy and thats because his mate sold the club to him.